Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How are diesel cars better than just normal petrol cars? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This something i have come across loads in the forum but i dnt understand the difference?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think they are more fuel efficient/more reliable for long distance drivers.

ReputationRep:
    Better at what?

Put it this way, if economy was not a factor in what car I had it would be petrol.

ReputationRep:
    they have alot of torque, are more reliable and more efficient. however that comes at the cost of being heavy, low-revving and polluting.

ReputationRep:
    they feel different you can really feel the biting point if you know what i mean, you hardly even need gas

ReputationRep:
    NOT F#CKING There Any More

And delete or edit if u quote me

ReputationRep:
    Each have their own benefits.

Diesels - Run on veggie oil if you want, very reliable (no spark plugs etc), Lazy power.

They sound ****, and the older ones are steel which is heavy, however most modern diesel blocks are light now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.PINK)
    for the same VOLUME: diesel have more energy than petrol
    so to move the same distance, in the same car with the same engine size, you would need less volume of fuel if using diesel.

eventhough diesel is slightly more expensive than petrol pet liter, in the long run its cheaper because u need less of it to travel the same distance.

hope that helps

p.s. rep [+vely] if u agree

I don't agree with prices.

It's all the same price round my end.

99p for diesel/petrol.

ReputationRep:
    Diesels aren't nice to drive as they're heavy. Just watch Top Gear and let them complain about diesels.

But as previously said, they do more miles to the gallon. And Diesel now costs the same as petrol (or at least it doesn't round here).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    I don't agree with prices.

It's all the same price round my end.

99p for diesel/petrol.
    thats right, right now
    but generally diesel is slightly [2 to 4 pence] more than petrol

ReputationRep:
    Each have their own benefits.

Diesels - Run on veggie oil if you want, very reliable (no spark plugs etc), Lazy power.

They sound ****, and the older ones are steel which is heavy, however most modern diesel blocks are light now
    i think lazy power best describes them, if you wanted something that moved quickly from junctions and stuff but were happy to travel and normal speeds then it makes perfect sense.

ReputationRep:
    and for anyone who says diesel engines are loud
    my dads 5 liter diesel merc engine is quiter than my 1.2 petrol engine
    its faster, better acceleration, but of course more expensive, and way newer:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm driving my ma's diesel right now. I'm finding it smooth actually - it's quite a forgiving setup between the engine and the clutch. There's power there in abundance, so it probably outguns quite a few pertol cars.

I like the fact that they're low-revving. Doesn't do much for power, but I like to be in a high gear for the speed most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Are they actually more reliable though?

They're more complex which means more to go wrong and often more expensive as well.

ReputationRep:
    my dads 5liter merc engine is quiter than my 1.2 petrol engine

How new is that?

I bet it's common rail (Which injects a bit of diesel before main injecion cycle, which silences diesel knock.).

My direct injetion sounds **** on idle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatone)
    Diesels aren't nice to drive as they're heavy. Just watch Top Gear and let them complain about diesels.

But as previously said, they do more miles to the gallon. And Diesel now costs the same as petrol (or at least it doesn't round here).
    Top gear aren't car knowitalls.

Just because they say something doesn't mean it's fact.

Mine's amazing to drive, and surprises a lot of people, even though it's FWD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)

They're more complex which means more to go wrong and often more expensive as well.
    the general consensus is. they are much tougher than petrol engines to deal with the high cylinder pressures. and with having lots of torque they dont work as hard, preserving their lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)

Are you being serious?

More complex?

Is there an ignition circuit with plugs that could go wrong? No
    Do they rev over 4500ish RPM? No
    Do you have to worry about AFR? No.

Do you even have to worry about Cetane rating or quality of fuel? Generally, no.

The most complex thing that could go wrong is Cambelts and turbos, which surpsrisngly go on petrol counterparts.

Fuel pumps can be expensive, but it's easy to change if you know how.

Another benefit is that diesel ECU's love parameters being changed, thus making it easy to map them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    the general consensus is. they are much tougher than petrol engines to deal with the high cylinder pressures. and with having lots of torque they dont work as hard, preserving their lifetime.
    But in the same regard the petrol engines aren't as tough because they don't need to cope with such pressure in the first place.

And surely it depends entirely on how the car has been driven.

ReputationRep:
    my dads 5 liter diesel merc engine is quiter than my 1.2 petrol engine
    its faster, better acceleration, but of course more expensive, and way newer:rolleyes:
    Well that just basically means your dad's car has double insulation around the engine space while your crappy car has hardly any insulation. On the whole, with everything else the same, diesels tend to be louder.

(no spark plugs etc)
    Most of them have a turbo, though. A blown turbo is easily £1000+ in repairs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.