Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How are diesel cars better than just normal petrol cars? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Petrol is soooo much better. From an economic perspective, petrol works out cheaper sometimes due to the higher initial cost of the diesel car - you might have to drive 30,000 miles or so to break even with certain diesel cars.

Petrol is simply cooler than diesel.

Moreover, petrol cars don't make that horrible noise. I find it silly when really nice cars have diesels, because it defeats the purpose of the image of the car, as soon as you hear that clattering diesel the classy image is shattered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Possibly, because unless you want to actually go anywhere, you are obliged to have a turbocharger on a diesel engine...

The first thing a Diesel enthusiast will mention when they talk about their cars isn't how it handles, it isn't the power, it isn't the ride, handling, comfort, value etc... it's always how many miles it gets to the gallon. :rolleyes: **YAAAAWN!!!**

A big petrol engine is where it's at. Fact. :cool:

Not always true banks is making some great strides in the diesel area alot of the trucks here are making LOTS of power I think if someone actually made a performance diesel *read audi here* it would work great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Possibly, because unless you want to actually go anywhere, you are obliged to have a turbocharger on a diesel engine...

The first thing a Diesel enthusiast will mention when they talk about their cars isn't how it handles, it isn't the power, it isn't the ride, handling, comfort, value etc... it's always how many miles it gets to the gallon. :rolleyes: **YAAAAWN!!!**

A big petrol engine is where it's at. Fact. :cool:
    Take it you've never seen the 900bhp/1600lbs Chevelle that post's 9's..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    Take it you've never seen the 900bhp/1600lbs Chevelle that post's 9's..........
    Take it you've never seen the 2000bhp Corvette that runs 6's...

ReputationRep:
    So buy a Honda? I don't understand what you're trying to achieve here..............

Hondas are engineered very well. But so are BMW diesel engines?

Diesel's can't rev high due to more revs, the worse fuel combustion you get.

Maybe so, but it's not exactley a common thing, turbo failure.

So far I've done nearly 100k and not had a turbo blow once.
    My point was if Hondas can rev so high and be arguably the most reliable engines then the argument with regards to the revs an engine can do is a bit odd.

There also seems to be more cases of BMW diesels having turbo failure than I would have expected as well.

At the end of the day the main advantage of having a diesel is economy, I don't know of anyone who has ever wanted to by a diesel because they are 'more robust', supposedly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Take it you've never seen the 2000bhp Corvette that runs 6's...

Nope, but what I'm trying to say is that, that diesel Chevelle is faster than a LOT of petrol cars.

Including a Veyron, which seems to be a 1/4 benchmark at the minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)
    My point was if Hondas can rev so high and be arguably the most reliable engines then the argument with regards to the revs an engine can do is a bit odd.

There also seems to be more cases of BMW diesels having turbo failure than I would have expected as well.

At the end of the day the main advantage of having a diesel is economy, I don't know of anyone who has ever wanted to by a diesel because they are 'more robust', supposedly.
    An F1 car revs to 19000 I think......Does that mean it's more reliable than a diesel?

I bought an diesel, as it's a lot easier to modify to get more power out of, while doing 45mpg.............

ReputationRep:
    Diesels are slow

ReputationRep:
    An F1 car revs to 19000 I think......Does that mean it's more reliable than a diesel?

I bought an diesel, as it's a lot easier to modify to get more power out of, while doing 45mpg.............
    I'm not comparing race-car engines here nor was I saying the higher revving the engine the more reliable it is, obviously I wasn't saying that.

You were suggesting the fact a diesel doesn't rev very high automatically makes it more reliable, I was just showing that high revving engines can be very reliable.

And I have a diesel as well, I only have it because it's cheap to run, take the economy, or the need for economy away, and there's no way I'd have one.

ReputationRep:

Reduced to 18000 this season.

I don't see why people complain about the sound of diesels.
    Has anyone heard the new Alfa 2.2 5 cylinder engine.

Sounds awesome for a diesel. Better than alot of petrol cars.
    I just like the torque of diesel cars which I feel makes gear selection a lot less important when on a long drive.

But i do love screaming my dad's Corsa 1.2 SXI Twinport at 6500rpm. But then my wallet suffers.

ReputationRep:
    What I'm trying to say is this.

Let's throw a scnerario in here.

Imagine this.

A bearing has a life span of 7200 million revoultions. However, 100hp needs to be put through it.

A diesel makes 100hp at 3600 RPM.
    A petrol makes 100hp at 7200 RPM, due to the low torque it's got.

Which engine would the bearing finish it's lifecycle on first?

The petrol, as it's revving twice as much to make the same power.

ReputationRep:
    But then it's just a bearing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.PINK)
    NOT F#CKING There Any More

And delete or edit if u quote me

And for the person who gave me a nice red gem, go sh## ur m#m cuz that the only person u will ever get to do

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind...................

ReputationRep:
    What I'm trying to say is this.

Let's throw a scnerario in here.

Imagine this.

A bearing has a life span of 7200 million revoultions. However, 100hp needs to be put through it.

A diesel makes 100hp at 3600 RPM.
    A petrol makes 100hp at 7200 RPM, due to the low torque it's got.

Which engine would the bearing finish it's lifecycle on first?

The petrol, as it's revving twice as much to make the same power.
    To make those kind of numbers, those two engines would be so wildly different in both capacity and aspiration it'd be like comparing an apple to a pencil. - You *can* compare the two, but you'll learn absolutely nothing!

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind...................
    I know you were just trying to make a point.

However, I do believe the whole 'diesel more reliable' argument is nowhere near as big as some people would think, even if they are it isn't the selling point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    To make those kind of numbers, those two engines would be so wildly different in both capacity and aspiration it'd be like comparing an apple to a pencil. - You *can* compare the two, but you'll learn absolutely nothing!

It's not a literal scenario........................ .............

It's a generic assumption.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a literal scenario........................ .............

It's a generic assumption.
    You can assume whatever you like. Without imperical data to back it up, it means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    You can assume whatever you like. Without imperical data to back it up, it means nothing.
    Jesus what have i started lol

JC - when do we ever get empirical data on a forum :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    they have alot of torque, are more reliable and more efficient. however that comes at the cost of being heavy, low-revving and polluting.
    I would hardly consider polluting a body blow :p:

Meh they are still noisy too, not as quiet as people make out. Someone at uni has an audi a4 diesel and it's still noisy. Petrol rules :yes:

Oh yeah Lara if you had a 1.7 honda diesel (isuzu engine) and you got it remapped from 100 to 140 bhp, would you do the brakes? Companies told my friend not to and it seems to be the norm. They say "80 mph will always be 80mph" but surely you accelerate quicker so need to stop quicker?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.