Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How are diesel cars better than just normal petrol cars? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    A new Volvo V50 can do twice that distance with the same amount of fuel...

You used about 8.43l/100km; the above (unloaded) does 3.9l/100km.
    With 5 or 6 people (I can fit 8 in mine, or 12 with all the seats in) plus all the stuff? If I really wanted to I could fit 12 inside (seated) and all their luggage on the full length roof rack. Economy can be bettered, yes, but I doubt it could be for the load we had, nor are many cars as versatile as mine. This actually handled better with a full load than it does with just me in it. Plus it's one of the best unmodified off road cars of all time :p: Also note that it's about 20 years old and has done at least 150k (the 10k drum is stuck between 4 and 5 so we don't actually know how many miles it's done), and will go on to do many, many more. My car is here and ready to go, your V50 has to be manufactured (using much less eco friendly methods than a Defender*) and then probably won't last even 10 years, let alone 20.

* Defenders use a very labour intensive, yet easy build. Everything is bolted and riveted which means it takes a lot of time and effort to build, but once built they are incredibly easy to service and keep on the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booger)
    You can't run a modern diesel engine on veggie oil any more. Which is a disgrace. Rudolph Diesel meant for his engine to run on peanut oil. Something to do with it clogging up the injector valve for the inlet manifold. Get an old defender 110 and your sorted though.

Although you don't have spark plugs, glow plugs do go after a time and you won't be able to start the car in colder weather once they're gone. Though you could feasibly use a hair drier to get the same affect.

To the OP

The advantages of diesel engines. The fuel goes further, so it may cost you less. Some engines can be run on things like peanut/veggie oil. Torque curve, although that is only a consideration if you want to tow things and go off-roading in a 4X4. There are far less electronics and less to go wrong with it (compression ignition vs heat ignition in a petrol engine). This also means that provided that the air intake doesn't draw water in the engine will run under water. Hence why you see 4X4s with "snorkels." You can drive in a higher gear than you would be able to in a petrol because of the extra torque. There is also red diesel but that would be illegal on the road.

Disadvantages.

Noise they make. Its like a bucket of bolts. Acceleration can be sluggish and the top speed hindered. The fumes smell really bad. They can take longer to start in colder weather because the glow plugs have to warm the chambers or compression ignition won't work. Although this is a very short time in modern diesel engines. Diesel is more expensive to buy than petrol, litre for litre. Though a diesel litre tends to go further.
    Bosch pumps run Veggie fine.

Diesel is not more expensive to buy than petrol, it was the same.

Back when it was expensive, it was to do with the fact the oil comapnies couldn't keep up with the demand for the shipping industries, however now they have, fuel price has got low for diesel. (Supply, demand).

I drive diesels a lot, they're modern, and have NEVER had problems starting in the cold...............Glowplugs aren't really relied on anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    i take it youve never seen what comes out the back of a diesel exhaust?

diesel cars produce alot more nitrogen oxide, resulting in smog.

NOS?

By content, it's mostly Carbon, which aint that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)

Back when it was expensive, it was to do with the fact the oil comapnies couldn't keep up with the demand for the shipping industries, however now they have, fuel price has got low for diesel. (Supply, demand).

I drive diesels a lot, they're modern, and have NEVER had problems starting in the cold...............Glowplugs aren't really relied on anymore.
    It depends if it's direct or indirect injection. Indirect injection engines generally need time for the glowplugs to warm the block up slightly before the engine will fire, whereas direct injection engines need next to no time to warm as they are more thermally efficient due to their design. Direct injection is what is used the the majority of modern cars, hence the lack of having to wait for glow plugs on newer cars. Having said that, the engine in my Landy is between 15 and 20 years old and it starts on the turn of the key day in, day out even during the snow we had over the winter. Direct injection has been around for quite a while, just didn't become the norm until recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    It depends if it's direct or indirect injection. Indirect injection engines generally need time for the glowplugs to warm the block up slightly before the engine will fire, whereas direct injection engines need next to no time to warm as they are more thermally efficient due to their design. Direct injection is what is used the the majority of modern cars, hence the lack of having to wait for glow plugs on newer cars. Having said that, the engine in my Landy is between 15 and 20 years old and it starts on the turn of the key day in, day out even during the snow we had over the winter. Direct injection has been around for quite a while, just didn't become the norm until recently.

Oh gee, thanks for clearing up about injection types.

I'm kinda offended you assume I have no idea about it.

Name me one car in production today that uses indirect injection anyway?

You forgot about common rail as well.......

ReputationRep:
    NOS?

By content, it's mostly Carbon, which aint that bad.
    i think you need to brush up on your chemistry, Nitrogen Oxide refers to just any mix of nitrogen and oxygen, nitrous oxide (NOS) is a specific mixture of nitrogen and oxygen.

"The biggest downside to driving a diesel car has to do with emissions. Diesel cars may be cleaner than they used to be but they're still dirtier than gasoline cars, and a whole lot dirtier than a hybrid. And there's still a bit of a smell.

"What you see and smell out of the tailpipe is typically worse than with a gasoline engine," says Larry Webster, technical editor at Car and Driver.

Diesel cars spit out more particulates -- tiny particles of soot -- and more oxides of nitrogen (NOx), which contribute to local smog.

But because of their excellent fuel economy, diesel cars also burn less fuel and emit less carbon dioxide (CO2) than gasoline cars.

"There's a trade-off. You emit a little more particulate and oxides of nitrogen, NOx, but a lot less C02," Webster says. "Burning less fuel is better in the long run, but some people are worried about NOx and particulates contributing to smog.""

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/auto/20030804a1.asp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6915057.stm

ReputationRep:
    It's the fuel of satan, man.

ReputationRep:
    Oh gee, thanks for clearing up about injection types.

I'm kinda offended you assume I have no idea about it.

Name me one car in production today that uses indirect injection anyway?

You forgot about common rail as well.......
    Apologies but the way you wrote it lead me to assume that you didn't know. It was also partly for everyone else too.

ReputationRep:

I was thinking about a student budget. It isn't going to get you the newest car or engine in the world. There for I was pointing out the problems of mainly older diesels. I do know that modern diesels can usually start with out glow plugs, or if they do that time can be less than 1 second.

Diesel has until lately been more expensive. I'll be interested if the price between the two stays the same long term. With the fuel situation being what it is, who is to say what is going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    lol im the OP and ive lost all interest now xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.