Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am looking for some advice regarding Applications for Internships in 2010.

Some background info:

I just completed my 2nd year at Uni of Manchester studying Business Management and Chinese and got 59% average. I am definitely targeting a 2:1. This summer I am currently on an unpaid internship in a small boutique consultancy firm that assists Chinese firms entering the UK market and British firms looking to penetrate into the Chinese market where I have been given a lead role as project manager.

My course is 4 years so starting in September I will be in China for my year abroad that doesn't end till July 2010 as the university dates there are different to UK dates and normally internships in UK start in June. Furthermore for the application process I will not be in the UK but in China.

I am looking at Consultancy or front office (not IB) internships.

Anyone got any advice on how to approach application process? how to go about the fact that I will be in China during the process. Maybe applying for internships in China/Hong Kong itself?

Thanks for responses in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    This.

What do you mean by "front office (not IB) internships" ?
    I mean that I don't mind doing Global Marketing or Global Transacation Services, Research etc but not actual IB Division.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilma flintstone)
    well if ur not in the UK and your applying for internships in 2010, then i think your chances are low.. its going to be hard for the banks to interview you for example, your best bet is getting an internship in china after your placement
    Not really - its not a problem at all.

I remember my older sister was on holiday in Figi and they flew her over for an interview whilst we were there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

Is it probably best to contact relevant HR departments directly. However maybe applying for an internship directly to HR depts at firms in China or Hong Kong may also be an option.

In regards to applying to uk and not being around for interview, maybe the interview could take place at an office in China/Hong Kong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.