Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I learn in an auto instead? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So far i have I have been learning to drive in a manual car for 3 months but i have made very little progress, mainly due to confusion when using the clutch and taking ages to find the biting point even after 3 months.

Would it be better to learn in an auto instead as i feel i would make much more progress and be able to pass my test much quicker as auto's seem much less complicated?

ReputationRep:
    you will end up driving an auto the rest of your life, is the likely scenario.

enjoy life in the loser lane.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but you'll need to retake the test in a stick shift if you ever want to drive one.
    Also, automatics are much more expensive, and instructors that use them will be few and far between

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same problem - do you have any Dyspraxic tendencies OP? People have suggested the same thing to me but I'd rather learn in a normal car despite major coordination difficulties. It would be much easier to get a car that way, but it's going to be tough. I haven't touched a steering wheel in almost a year because I had such difficulties the first time around...

ReputationRep:
    Then in the future you'll only be limited to driving automatic vehicles...

If that's what you want then go for it... because there's no turning back unless you resort to learning with manual all over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaoPaolo90)
    I have the exact same problem - do you have any Dyspraxic tendencies OP? People have suggested the same thing to me but I'd rather learn in a normal car despite major coordination difficulties. It would be much easier to get a car that way, but it's going to be tough. I haven't touched a steering wheel in almost a year because I had such difficulties the first time around...
    I'm not sure if i'm dyspraxic but i do have trouble with coordination sometimes. I told my instructor about this but he just said 'it will come with practice', i'm just worried that it will take so long to learn in a manual that the total cost will be extreme

ReputationRep:
    What I've learnt is if you can't use a clutch maybe you shouldn't be on the road. In many situations you'll have to be doing more than just pushing down and changing gear to avoid a crash.

Just keep practicing and automatic cars burn more fuel due to the bigger engine which is another downer.

P.S. Wear very thin soled shoes, my massive nike air max's suck when on a busy road and I have to move fast lol

ReputationRep:
    If you want to drive an auto for the rest of your life and have no intention of driving a manual then do so.

No point learning to do something you'll never need to do!

After 100,000+ miles of shifting my own gears, I've completely lost interest in manual gearboxes. Infact, I shall either be selling or converting those cars that I own which are manual to automatic by the end of the year.
    Cars with big engines and auto boxes are quicker than manual versions in a straight line anyway as a *general* rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGimpMan)
    enjoy life in the loser lane.
    What a load of bull - any automatic can be faster than a manual - I drive a manual but still thats a load of crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    What a load of bull - any automatic can be faster than a manual - I drive a manual but still thats a load of crap.
    In the world of drag racing, all the seriously fast cars are all automatic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    In the world of drag racing, all the seriously fast cars are all automatic...
    Exactly - thank you - being automatic doesn't make a car bad, most new beemers and stuff are automatic.

To get in touch with driving and do it for fun then you probably need a manual, but otherwise to drive fast or just drive you don't.

ReputationRep:
    Just go automatic - if you aren't interested in learning to use gears then there is no point.

Automatic is growing in popularity, and everyone I know who used to drive manuals and then gets an automatic says how much easier it is - no need to think about anything like at a junction no handbrake, clutch, out of gear, bite etc. you just shove down the brake and press the accelerator to go

ReputationRep:
    i think manual is better. it is hard it did take me a while to get myclutch bite and keep it so i could be on a hill with out the handbreak or breakin and not roll back, or change gear n pull of smoothly it will happen, automatic cars ae alot harder to find if you were looking for you first car and on a budget you might struggle a bit to find one cheap enough and locally. personally i think stick it out if it takes longer then it just makes you a better driver so prob less likley to crash sounds werid but more instructed driving you do the better my advice is justbe patient one day something will click and you will be excellent with the clutch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachael-69)
    one day something will click and you will be excellent with the clutch.
    That is actually true, well it happened to me for the first couple of times out or hours in the car it was crap then suddenly it all came together.

ReputationRep:
    yup i think its like that for alot of people, some people get it straight away but others it takes time and pratice and as my instuctor always told me just remember the clutch is your friend lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kw2012)
    I'm not sure if i'm dyspraxic but i do have trouble with coordination sometimes. I told my instructor about this but he just said 'it will come with practice', i'm just worried that it will take so long to learn in a manual that the total cost will be extreme
    If it hasn't come naturally after 3 months, then it may well be worth trying an auto just to reduce the number of decisions you have to make. One other factor to consider though, is how many hours a week are you driving? If not many, perhaps intensifying your lessons could help.

Despite what other posters on here say, automatics aren't that bad. You will have a restricted licence initally, but you can always learn a manual again in the future. Auto cars aren't that expensive if you buy slightly older ones and drive them economically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    Exactly - thank you - being automatic doesn't make a car bad, most new beemers and stuff are automatic.

To get in touch with driving and do it for fun then you probably need a manual, but otherwise to drive fast or just drive you don't.
    i'd love to see some proof behind this :rolleyes:

and anyway, i said nothing about automatics being slow, only that they are for losers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGimpMan)
    i'd love to see some proof behind this :rolleyes:

and anyway, i said nothing about automatics being slow, only that they are for losers.

LMAO. I'd love to see you tame a 2000bhp pro stret dragster. :rolleyes:

An idiotic comment from er... an idiot by the look of things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    LMAO. I'd love to see you tame a 2000bhp pro stret dragster. :rolleyes:

An idiotic comment from er... an idiot by the look of things!
    even if i could, why would that render me exempt from being a loser?

and that comment is totally irrelevant anyway - it only applies to a select few people, and not the general public in question.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty much the same; I've had a fair amount of lessons and two tests. Failed both with one major in each, so I wasn't far off passing but I knew even if I did pass I'd feel uncomfortable driving in a manual.

Automatic just gives you so much less stress! my theory expires soon so I better start learning on automatic ASAP.

My advice to you would be to learn automatic if you're not happy driving a manual

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.