Turn on thread page Beta

Should I learn in an auto instead? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGimpMan)
    even if i could, why would that render me exempt from being a loser?

and that comment is totally irrelevant anyway - it only applies to a select few people, and not the general public in question.

ReputationRep:
    I started learning manual. I did struggle with biting point, but I soon got the hang of it - soon being 6 months later.

Don't be in such a rush, 3 months isn't actually that long. Especially when you think how easy it is to crash a car, 3 months of driving is nothing at all in the scheme of things. Don't back out of learning manual. It's so easy to drive an automatic, but you'll be stuck driving them unless you re-take your test in a manual.

I have to now learn in an automatic, due to joint problems. But if I had the option, I'd choose manual - they're cheaper to buy and maintain and you're not restricted in the cars that you can drive. If your parents or partner drove manual, you'd never be able to be a named driver on their insurance - which, for emergencies is a good back up to have.

Just think about it.

ReputationRep:
    i'd love to see some proof behind this :rolleyes:

and anyway, i said nothing about automatics being slow, only that they are for losers.
    You said they would stay in the loser lane ie. the left hand lane in the motorway for slower traffic that's not overtaking.

Go into a beemer showroom today - of course their cars come with manuals now but the automatic is more standard and the majority of showroom cars and test drive cars are automatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    You said they would stay in the loser lane ie. the left hand lane in the motorway for slower traffic that's not overtaking.

Go into a beemer showroom today - of course their cars come with manuals now but the automatic is more standard and the majority of showroom cars and test drive cars are automatic.
    again, that's only one type of car. bimmers alone do not represent an overall shift.
    infact, i think they should be discounted completely from this argument as all BMW drivers are lazy tossers

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the day, driving isnt something that should be rushed through and have comprimises made to enable it to be completed quickly. You'l learn much more about a car's behavious and why it will do what it does in a manual imo, and learning in an auto will limit you to an auto in the future.

ReputationRep:
    go for it, if you can't drive a manual you may as well. Besides if you can't drive a manual yet continue to, you will piss a lot of people off at the traffic lights

ReputationRep:
    you will end up driving an auto the rest of your life, is the likely scenario.

enjoy life in the loser lane.

ur just fool. automatic doesnt make u loser nor do you have to drive in the "loser lane". The likely scenario is the guy auto will be leaving u in the loser lane. (I m learning manual but the car i have is auto).

Answer to the question yh drive auto if manual is giving u hassle the only real problem is they can be around 1000 pounds mre expensive than the manual model.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest switching to automatic, at the moment your choice will be limited in cars however if your planing to buy second hand automatic should be arround £200 more. The percentage of automatic cars is growing now anyway, 90% of americans have autos comparitavly with 20%-25% in the UK. Neverthless in the next few years numbers are expected to rise, 80% of mercs are now auto aswell, going to call them lazy drivers aswell GimpMan? I bet you have a corsa :-)
    Anyway yeah theres nothing wrong with driving an auto, and once youve driven one i doubt you will want to drive a manual anyway.

ReputationRep:
    OP, are you learning in a petrol or diesel? The clutch in a diesel, I find anyway, is much easier to deal with than in a petrol-there's been no issues with finding the biting point in it for me. When I drive Dad's petrol it all goes wrong!

ReputationRep:
    OP, are you learning in a petrol or diesel? The clutch in a diesel, I find anyway, is much easier to deal with than in a petrol-there's been no issues with finding the biting point in it for me. When I drive Dad's petrol it all goes wrong![/QUOTE]

The problem is you.
    The clutch actuation mechanism doesnt change between engine types.

ReputationRep:
    The clutch is identical in a diesel and a petrol, just a diesel has more torque in lower revs than a petrol so diesels are harder to stall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    The problem is you.
    The clutch actuation mechanism doesnt change between engine types.

There's actually no problem thanks in the diesel you can move off using solely the clutch before gas, although you probably wouldn't. In any of the petrols I've driven, instructors or family's, you have to rev more or it stalls. Just took practise to go from one car to the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmgbowden)
    There's actually no problem thanks in the diesel you can move off using solely the clutch before gas, although you probably wouldn't. In any of the petrols I've driven, instructors or family's, you have to rev more or it stalls. Just took practise to go from one car to the other.
    The clutch is exactly the same though, it's the engine that's different - a diesel has enough torque to move off a low revs (eg. no gas) but a petrol doesn't, the clutches are the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmgbowden)
    You can also move off on the flat in a petrol with just using the clutch if you lift it slowly enough.

Diesel and Petrol engines deliver power in a very different manor.

ReputationRep:
    due to the fact that a lot of diesels have more low down torque than their petrol equivalents they can be a bit more forgiving; they won't bite at you (no pun intended) if you let out too quickly..

gah, I'm in an auto again, it's been a while since I've had to use my left foot for a clutch

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.