Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got a summer job between years at uni, I got my first pay check yesterday and I had paid tax. If I don't have to pay tax how do I go about sorting it and getting my money back?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have a look here, it will answer your question http://www.taxdoctor.co.uk/do-students-pay-tax.aspx

ReputationRep:
    As far as i know students have to pay tax just like everyone else.

However, there is a threshold under which you can earn money without being taxed. I think it's a bit under £6,000. Seeing as most students dont earn this much in a year because they only work in the holidays or part time etc they can normally claim back the tax they have paid whilst working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biodude)
    I got a summer job between years at uni, I got my first pay check yesterday and I had paid tax. If I don't have to pay tax how do I go about sorting it and getting my money back?

Thanks
    Short answer - yes, if you earn above your annual personal allowance, which is £6,475 this year. Being a student has no effect whatsoever on whether or not you have to pay income tax.

If you earn less than this, then you shouldn't have to pay tax and can reclaim any you've paid: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/iwt-...tax-back.shtml

Edit: Another thought - what's your tax code (it'll be on your payslip)? I'd expect that it will be either 'BR' on '647L'. If you can post again with what it is, I can tell you whether you're likely to be paying the right amount of tax.

ReputationRep:
    The common misconception that students don't pay tax probably arises from R85 forms - which allow a student who is likely to learn under £6,475 in this tax year, AND who works only outwith term time, to be paid with no tax taken off.

Ultimately, it makes no difference (since you'd get a rebate if you paid too much anyway), it just means you get the money earlier rather than having to claim it back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    The common misconception that students don't pay tax probably arises from R85 forms - which allow a student who is likely to learn under £6,475 in this tax year, AND who works only outwith term time, to be paid with no tax taken off.
    Very very few people have that misconception.

R85 allows non tax pays to not pay tax on bank interest.

38S does the things you describe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Very very few people have that misconception.

R85 allows non tax pays to not pay tax on bank interest.

38S does the things you describe.
    Oops :redface: - I ought not to post when half asleep!

ReputationRep:
    Tax sticky, 2nd post

ReputationRep:
    Everyone pays tax, all of the time. Whether its buying something in a shop or online. However, if you are regarding to income tax, you will have a tax free allowance. Which means if you earn up to that amount and no more, you will not be taxed. Students do not pay council housing tax. I'd refer to the Tax Sticky for more information.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.