Turn on thread page Beta

Unbelievable stuff-Astrology! watch

ReputationRep:
    The other thread on sun signs reminded me of this strange incident. I went on a trip around a few places in Asia along with a couple of friends. In India, my Indian friend took us around a few places including his hometown (Bangalore). We also drove to a couple of small places in South India since he suggested that we look at a few old temples. During the trip, he told us about some crap about astrology that his family believed in.

According to him, a guy tells you about your life by looking at a leaf. :rolleyes: I was like wtf? :confused: So I went along with him to this real small and scary looking place. My friend had never met this chap or his family (his first time in this place as well). He didn't ask us any details about ourselves. About half an hour later, this guy told us my friend's name, his parent's name, parent's profession, what he currently does and about his future. :confused:

The scary part was that it was accurate. I thought that it was a bloody joke that they were involved in since it cannot possibly be true (I don't believe in astrology and such crap). My friend told me the name of this branch of astrology and it actually exists.

How the **** can someone actually tell you your name and details about your life? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    He probaly went on the guys facebook, and got all details off there.

ReputationRep:
    magic

ReputationRep:
    Cold reading?

ReputationRep:
    It is literally "unbelievable".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sron)
    ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sron)
    My response would have been the same as yours if I hadn't been there. I still can't work it out.

ReputationRep:
    It's not astrology if it's done with a leaf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    It's not astrology if it's done with a leaf
    Wikipedia doesn't agree with you. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    unbeleafable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    Wikipedia doesn't agree with you. :rolleyes:
    What? ASTROlogy involves celestial bodies in order to predict stuff, leaves would be fortune telling or somesuch.

ReputationRep:
    It's more likely you're lying than that this random dude is a scary creepy mystical supernatural psychic who can tell you your parents' professions from a ******' leaf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    It's more likely you're lying than that this random dude is a scary creepy mystical supernatural psychic who can tell you your parents' professions from a ******' leaf.
    I don't believe in such crap either but what I saw was amazing. You think that I'm lying that such a thing exists?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadi_astrology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    I don't believe in such crap either but what I saw was amazing. You think that I'm lying that such a thing exists?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadi_astrology
    I don't think you're lying that such a practice exists.

I think the practice is a load of old stitched up dog's ****.

ReputationRep:
    Usually, the astrologer (better to say a "reader") asks for the thumb impression (right hand for males and left hand for females). The astrologer (i.e."reader") then searches his repository of leaves for the seeker's classification of thumb print. Finally, the minimum possible set of matching leaves is brought. Every leaf corresponds to some individual and hence will bear the birth and kinship details of its seeker. Then the "Reader" goes on reading the details mentioned on the palm leaf one by one. e.g. "your (i.e. seker's) name is Ramesh." If it is correct the seeker has to reply yes or no. Suppose if the name is correct, the reader reads the next detail written on the same leaf, e.g. "your mother's name is Seeta." Again the seeker has to confirm the same or otherwise. If his/her mother's name is not Seeta, he/she has to reply just "no". That means the leaf does not belong to him/her. Hence the reader starts reading another palm leaf. And the procedure continues. So the seeker is asked a series of questions, based on the verses, so as to find the exact match. These questions are to be answered yes or no. The exact leaf of the seeker is said to get only "yes" responses from the seeker. If all the details on the one and the same leaf are 100% correct, then that leaf belongs to the seekar. It is said that the details such as father/mother's name, seeker's name, name of the wife( if married), details of children, prefession, Hindu astrology birth chart, present age of the seeker, date of birth of seeker etc, are found mentioned on the palm leaf. Once the exact leaf is found, the astrology tells the seeker's name, parents' name, spouse's name and many other details about his future, since they are all written in the leaf. The future is mentioned in such a way that a folder within a folder, e.g. If the seeker is not married at the time of reading, in the general chapter, it might have been written that his marriage will take place at e.g. 27 years of age. If the seeker desires more details regarding his married life then he has to refer to the seventh chapter which deals with only married life and may contain name of wife, her background etc etc. The first chapter (kandam) in the leaf has the general overview of its seeker's life. The kandams that follow this are specific ones like Marriage, Profession, etc.

Rofl so the dude can keep asking you the same questions as many times over with a different leaf as he likes until he gets them all right?

Rightooooooo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Usually, the astrologer (better to say a "reader") asks for the thumb impression (right hand for males and left hand for females). The astrologer (i.e."reader") then searches his repository of leaves for the seeker's classification of thumb print. Finally, the minimum possible set of matching leaves is brought. Every leaf corresponds to some individual and hence will bear the birth and kinship details of its seeker. Then the "Reader" goes on reading the details mentioned on the palm leaf one by one. e.g. "your (i.e. seker's) name is Ramesh." If it is correct the seeker has to reply yes or no. Suppose if the name is correct, the reader reads the next detail written on the same leaf, e.g. "your mother's name is Seeta." Again the seeker has to confirm the same or otherwise. If his/her mother's name is not Seeta, he/she has to reply just "no". That means the leaf does not belong to him/her. Hence the reader starts reading another palm leaf. And the procedure continues. So the seeker is asked a series of questions, based on the verses, so as to find the exact match. These questions are to be answered yes or no. The exact leaf of the seeker is said to get only "yes" responses from the seeker. If all the details on the one and the same leaf are 100% correct, then that leaf belongs to the seekar. It is said that the details such as father/mother's name, seeker's name, name of the wife( if married), details of children, prefession, Hindu astrology birth chart, present age of the seeker, date of birth of seeker etc, are found mentioned on the palm leaf. Once the exact leaf is found, the astrology tells the seeker's name, parents' name, spouse's name and many other details about his future, since they are all written in the leaf. The future is mentioned in such a way that a folder within a folder, e.g. If the seeker is not married at the time of reading, in the general chapter, it might have been written that his marriage will take place at e.g. 27 years of age. If the seeker desires more details regarding his married life then he has to refer to the seventh chapter which deals with only married life and may contain name of wife, her background etc etc. The first chapter (kandam) in the leaf has the general overview of its seeker's life. The kandams that follow this are specific ones like Marriage, Profession, etc.

Rofl so the dude can keep asking you the same questions as many times over with a different leaf as he likes until he gets them all right?

Rightooooooo.
    Nope. He reads stuff from a leaf. They have to match it with "your" leaf. So they told him the name and once that matched, they tell you the rest. How can the "keep asking" and then get your name, parents name, occupation etc all right? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Do not mess with such stuff.Believe it or not, but these guys have supernatural powers (occult) that they use to fool people with.Never, ever dabble with such things as once you do that, you open a door to the occult.

Please don't be fooled by all these mystical powers etc,they are all dark forces which bring nothing but trouble.Engage at your peril.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_anonymous_friend)
    Do not mess with such stuff.Believe it or not, but these guys have supernatural powers (occult) that they use to fool people with.Never, ever dabble with such things as once you do that, you open a door to the occult.

Please don't be fooled by all these mystical powers etc,they are all dark forces which bring nothing but trouble.Engage at your peril.
    I went along with him since I didn't believe him. After the damn thing, I thought that he had paid the guy and that everyone was part of a joke to fool me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wenzel)
    Cold reading?
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

It's something that entertainers, frauds and deluded fools have been doing for hundreds of years.

OP, if you think that was impressive, you should watch some Derren Brown :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llynus)
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

It's something that entertainers, frauds and deluded fools have been doing for hundreds of years.

OP, if you think that was impressive, you should watch some Derren Brown :p:
    Derren Brown is awesome, his book is good too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.