Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why do so many people on this forum have such a poor grasp of basic English?

We all make spelling mistakes now and again but does it not worry anyone else seeing so many students, people who are likely to go on and get a degree, consistently getting basics so ridiculously wrong?

It just seems awfully lazy.

ReputationRep:
    Just as well she's got her looks or she'd be ******.

ReputationRep:
    b3c0z 1t'5 summ3r t1m3 4nd w3 c4n7 b3 b07h3r3d :sad:

^ If you read that, you don't have a life and should consider going back to nursery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    +1000 internetz
    Weirdly i actually like the song
    Boxxxy is our queen
    Speaks for itself then.

ReputationRep:
    Your an observant one, your.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're just ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **** Valentine)
    Your an observant one, your.
    +rep because, while that's a crappy joke, it made me laugh

ReputationRep:
    'scust aaayea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)
    Why do so many people on this forum have such a poor grasp of basic English?

We all make spelling mistakes now and again but does it not worry anyone else seeing so many students, people who are likely to go on and get a degree, consistently getting basics so ridiculously wrong?

It just seems awfully lazy.
    it's a ******* message board not an english essay, who cares

ReputationRep:
    So we should just use correct English when we're writing an essay or something official?

That's just lazy.

ReputationRep:
    life is ******* serious right now my neezys

ReputationRep:
    I think that one of the main reasons for peoples' distinctly lose grasp on the English language, especially BRITISH rather than American, is because of the fact that so few people read for pleasure nowadays. Before the times when everyone had the internet and TV, people would read to relax and enjoy themselves after a hard day's work. People don't do that enough any more and therefore don't experience the way that English grammar works enough for them to be truly literate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily069)
    I think that one of the main reasons for peoples' distinctly lose grasp on the English language, especially BRITISH rather than American, is because of the fact that so few people read for pleasure nowadays. Before the times when everyone had the internet and TV, people would read to relax and enjoy themselves after a hard day's work. People don't do that enough any more and therefore don't experience the way that English grammar works enough for them to be truly literate.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily069)
    But then I'd say the grasp I now have on the language is mainly down to using the internet and different forums.

I suppose it would then depend on the forums though, the one I'm on the most has pretty much everyone on it typing correctly so good habits are bound to catch on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aMAXin)
    :confused:
    It's a typo, everyone makes them, this thread is about consistently poor use of the language through laziness or ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    that was lazy as **** doe when mans wannna post **** gets a double check urrytime dun know how waste waste wanna live

ReputationRep:
    Right...
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)
    But then I'd say the grasp I now have on the language is mainly down to using the internet and different forums.

I suppose it would then depend on the forums though, the one I'm on the most has pretty much everyone on it typing correctly so good habits are bound to catch on.
    Yeah, I am sure that being on the internet and communicating on it can have both a negative and a positive effect on how your grammar and spelling develop. As you said, it just depends on the sort of things you read and the sort of people you communicate with. People who are already pretty intelligent and well read are going to want to talk to similar people. I suppose in a way its a vicious cycle, in that the people who can't write properly are only going to be tolerated by people with similar literary issues, and the same with people who are better at reading and writing.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.