Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was watching a video about Edinburgh on unionview.com, and one man said that because your first 2 years don't count towards your degree (I'm familiar with this sort of thing) so you don't need to 'declare; what you want your actual degree to be until the end of the 2nd year.

So if I was to study one language initially, could I start another language ab initio whilst there, without applying to do both straight away after using UCAS to apply for the both of them?

Then get a languages degree in both?

It would make applying a bit easier if this is true.

ReputationRep:
    Yes to all of your questions -- if you applied for French and came here to do that, you could then pick up German from scratch for example and then graduate with an MA in French and German, so joint honours. This is the case with most of the subjects in the HSS college, and in some of the Science/Engineering one too. This process also works at Glasgow, St Andrews and Aberdeen although I don't know the ins and outs of how it all works there, obviously.

See the sticked thread on the top of the page for more details on this sort of thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.