Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what I'd like to do as a career!

I am twenty years old living in the UK, hoping to move within the next few years to one of the British Commonwealth countries to live and work for a while with my American girlfriend (who is living in the USA as well atm).
    I am currently studying music and just got my diploma in music performance. I am going on to do a foundation degree in it, starting September but am worried. I realised that there is very little in the music business I like, and the things I do like make very little money. The only sector in the music business I enjoy is the performance side of it, but even that I don't enjoy that much. I am a very introverted person, and play music for enjoyment. When I am forced to do it just to make money it takes all of the fun out of what I am doing.

Putting that aside, I do not have any other clue what other field I could go into and study. I feel so lost and scared!
    I know what I want in life. I just want to live with my girlfriend peacefuly, maybe a small family, caring for them, loving them...but everytime money gets added to the equation my life becomes turmoil, and Im not even living with my girlfriend yet! I know I have to work though. I also feel, we only have this life, and I don't want to be one of the majority of adults who spend most of their lives working, just because they have to make money.
    Sure, if there was something I really loved doing, then my life wouldn't be being wasted, and I'd be earning the money to support my girlfriend and family at the same time, but at the moment I have no clue what this could be!
    As I said, I have a music qualification. I do not want to teach music, although I wouldn't mind teaching guitar to students as instrument specific tuition, but this can only make a part time income and if I plan to move in with my girlfriend, it will be very difficult to get students wherever we go, until we are settled down, preferably married.
    I have juggled with the idea of hypnotherapy, as for years I have been interested in the mind and have studied hypnotherapy on my own means a bit. I tried psychology, and although the career may be rewarding, the years of study surely aren't and I don't really feel I want to go down that road.
    If I did study hypnotherapy however, there is the there is once again the problem of getting clients. And if I moved to another country with my girlfriend, New Zealand, Canada etc...it will be very difficult finding clients, and until the business is well up and running, which could take years, I'd be stuck in small, badly paying, very depressing McDonald style jobs.
    Other ideas I have juggled with hypnotherapy were, nutritionist, personal trainer, reiki practitioner, holistic store. All of which however take a lot of time to set up and get running, and are not very profitable.
    I currently getting job seekers allowance (the dole) from the government as I have been unemployed for a few months due to two chronic auto immune diseases I have which prevented me from working. I only worked in small grocery stores so far though which brought me to the edge, where I actualy started to feel I was losing it with stress and depression, so I had to quit a few of them.
    If I could go abroad and work, in a completely new setting; earn money, be given a place to live by my work whilst earning enough to both save and pay for food etc then I'd be tempted to give that a try for a month or two, but that once again doesn't hold many long term career prospects, and is not somethign I'd do continuously.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I think you would get more educated answers in another forum, perhaps the university discussion forum :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Busk

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I know this won't be very useful as I've actually been thinking over and over again about the very same question all day - I love my boyfriend so much, but I don't want to submit myself to the 'I live to work to live to work to live...' routine. I just wanted to let you know that you're not completely alone, and that there are others in your position, who of course don't think that McDonalds is an ideal job, but it's better than nothing/the dole when the bills are mounting up. I worked at McDonalds for a month or two until I found a better job, and although I hated it, it was better than being homeless.

Can you teach a BIT of music on the side, and have a part time job too? Teaching music is VERY good money and there are loads of people out there who want to learn - who see it as money well spent, even now when people are worrying about where their money is going. This is what I currently do. I didn't think I'd enjoy teaching, but it actually helps me to think things through in my head, and is actually beneficial for my own playing.

It's hard to know what to say, as it's a matter that might just take some time - for instance, I never realised I had a strange interest in French and Russian history until this year when I had to study for my History exams and had to choose subjects to concentrate on. I'm now considering a degree in History and French so I can pursue these interests. I think you need to explore options and see what life opens up for you - and don't be afraid to work in dead-end jobs for a while, as anything will do to pay the bills! Learn new things whilst you're working, and wait for the right thing to come along.

I can't speak about hypnotherapy, I have no idea about it. Maybe you could start by looking at a full list of careers/degrees and whittling it down from there, instead of trying to produce something from nothing? You might end up with quite a lot of options, as opposed to trying to scramble for just one.

Sorry this is so long - it's evident I've been thinking a lot about this myself. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult now with the current financial climate anyway tbh. For now you could go into prostitution.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm maybe try get a bit of experience either paid or unpaid in areas you are interested in, might help you realise what you would like to persue? This is what I did, i thought i really wanted to work in a nursery... until i did and realised i couldn't stand it, so it may give you a better insight as to whether the training/study required is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't actualy have a music degree yet, I am thinking of doing a music foundation degree starting in September. I do however have a music diploma.

Teaching music is VERY good money and there are loads of people out there who want to learn
    Yes I could teach part time I suppose, but I only have a diploma under my belt, and I don't know whether people would trust me with this as the more recognised and respected qualification for music teachers is the degree.

don't be afraid to work in dead-end jobs for a while, as anything will do to pay the bills!
    The only reason I'm afraid is that these jobs suck my energy. I worked only twice a week at Crealy, a theme park, and it made the rest of my week miserable, just knowing I have to spend the weekend working! This alone only made me £50 a week (the amount I'll get on the dole) and I felt I was working my ass off! I got so depressed on Fridays knowing I have to work the next day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermay88)
    The only reason I'm afraid is that these jobs suck my energy. I worked only twice a week at Crealy, a theme park, and it made the rest of my week miserable, just knowing I have to spend the weekend working! This alone only made me £50 a week (the amount I'll get on the dole) and I felt I was working my ass off! I got so depressed on Fridays knowing I have to work the next day
    I know the feeling, I've just spent my first 2 days working at Sports Direct, knowing I'm going to be doing one really effing boring shift each weekend really fills me with dread, and I'm only getting paid £30 for 9 hours work....not sure if thats good or not, but back to the boredom, I'm not working my ass off, far from it, and I'm not happy, bcos it really is very boring and time drags on so badly...

How about doing an NVQ or an International Bacc. instead of the music degree? (Don't know how to spell the full Bacc thing, not going to attempt it lol). At least with the IB its recognised all around the world, if you did it in a science subject, you could go be a lab technician, and God knows, you could choose to work anywhere from schools, factories, universities, you name it! Aside from that, taxi driving! :P

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered something like driving instructor? RED Driving School have that TV ad... uh-huh I think there's generally quite good money to be made, lots of instructors out there sure but there's always a need for more I guess.

Have you considered possibly doing something like music education (teaching in a College, I believe you don't need a degree or even PGCE to do but a diploma and some other thing to say you can teach college/adult learners at a sixth form college or whatever)??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Have you considered something like driving instructor? RED Driving School have that TV ad... uh-huh I think there's generally quite good money to be made, lots of instructors out there sure but there's always a need for more I guess.

Have you considered possibly doing something like music education (teaching in a College, I believe you don't need a degree or even PGCE to do but a diploma and some other thing to say you can teach college/adult learners at a sixth form college or whatever)??
    I dont liek the idea of teaching in a shcool/college, and yes, you do need a degree and teaching qualification to do so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.