Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student council exempt question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just did research on the whole council tax and being exempt on it but where would i send this exemption form, Local authority near home or the place i study?? and would it matter if i showed it to the local authority at the university (city) i go to??

May be bit silly question but not sure how this system works. lol

Thanks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You send it to the Council Tax department at the council where you are studying.
    Halls of residence are automatically excluded so you don't have to do anything if you are living in them.

ReputationRep:
    Send it to your local council authority - so if your studying in London it will be one of the boroughs tax offices. Search your boroughs council website and it will have details on there, and contact numbers for help.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks you guys From the responses, its the local council where i study i give them it. I'm happy with that Saves me transport expenses

ReputationRep:
    Also another question has came to mind. I currently signed a contract for a flat apartment, not halls of residence. I do qualify for student exempt but if i live with residence where one is not a student.. am i exempt from council tax or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    You are yes, but the person you live with is not and has to pay the council tax.
    Oh when i mean i do qualify for council tax exempt, i mean I'll be a full time student. Hope that didn't cause any confusion.

But i'm guessing from your reply to my question you understood what i meant. If so, then goodie Additional council tax on rent and bills and expenses is way too much for my financial living..

ReputationRep:
    Wait till the Council sends you the form requesting the details of all the residents at your property, then put the names down of everybody living there and enclose a copy of the letter of proof you're a student when you send it back to them. Only people who are not students will be named on the council tax bill.

If you only have one person in your property who's not a student, tell them to apply for 'single persons discount'.

But you won't be liable in any case, as a student.

I'm not sure the other councils work like this, but in Leeds, Leeds City Council asks the University for a register of every full time student they have with an address in Leeds. So they already know who the students are and where they are living, so they won't count any of them for council tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Wait till the Council sends you the form requesting the details of all the residents at your property, then put the names down of everybody living there and enclose a copy of the letter of proof you're a student when you send it back to them. Only people who are not students will be named on the council tax bill.

If you only have one person in your property who's not a student, tell them to apply for 'single persons discount'.

But you won't be liable in any case, as a student.

I'm not sure the other councils work like this, but in Leeds, Leeds City Council asks the University for a register of every full time student they have with an address in Leeds. So they already know who the students are and where they are living, so they won't count any of them for council tax.
    Here in Reading if you live in a house with a certain number of non-students (I think it's actually one!) the property gets a discounted council tax bill and then if you have more than a certain number of non students the property is liable for the full the council tax. How you figure out who pays what is up to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deleted)
    Here in Reading if you live in a house with a certain number of non-students (I think it's actually one!) the property gets a discounted council tax bill and then if you have more than a certain number of non students the property is liable for the full the council tax. How you figure out who pays what is up to you!
    Thats the same everywhere, if you have more than one non student then the property is liable for the full council tax, however the students are not liable for it. If nobody pays, and the council takes you to court, its only the non students who are named on the bill so only the non students who can be liable.

Whereas utility companies can only get a CCJ on you if you default on the debt, councils have the full power of the law on their side including committal to prison, so they will pursue the debt. If there's 2 students and 2 non students in the property, and you agree to share it four ways, then thats very generous of the students, but if it doesn't get paid its only the non students who would be sued and potentially banged up inside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2Av)
    Ok, thanks you guys From the responses, its the local council where i study i give them it. I'm happy with that Saves me transport expenses
    Where you study will most probably be your primary residence, and that is where you pay council tax.

(Original post by 2Av)
    Also another question has came to mind. I currently signed a contract for a flat apartment, not halls of residence. I do qualify for student exempt but if i live with residence where one is not a student.. am i exempt from council tax or not?
    Well, you wouldn't be acknowledged for council tax purposes, but the tax is still on the property not on the individuals within it. If you're sharing with one person, then it will be treated as if he is living alone - and thus he's entitled to a discount (25% or something like that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Where you study will most probably be your primary residence, and that is where you pay council tax.

Well, you wouldn't be acknowledged for council tax purposes, but the tax is still on the property not on the individuals within it. If you're sharing with one person, then it will be treated as if he is living alone - and thus he's entitled to a discount (25% or something like that).
    Thanks, good to have second opinion. lol.

Wondered if anyone knows..can this council tax exemption be done on the first day of my tenancy when i move in or MUST be done before moving in the property? I heard i just have to do it asap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2Av)
    Thanks, good to have second opinion. lol.

Wondered if anyone knows..can this council tax exemption be done on the first day of my tenancy when i move in or MUST be done before moving in the property? I heard i just have to do it asap.
    You don't have to do it straight away. I at least just did it generally within a few weeks. They'll start sending letters eventually. I don't know how other universities do things, but I had to go down to my university's Registry and apply for a letter confirming I was a student which would take at least a day to be produced before I'd take down to the city council buildings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    You don't have to do it straight away. I at least just did it generally within a few weeks. They'll start sending letters eventually. I don't know how other universities do things, but I had to go down to my university's Registry and apply for a letter confirming I was a student which would take at least a day to be produced before I'd take down to the city council buildings.
    That sound reasonable considering i wasn't sure the other occupients status until i move in. Appreciate the help L i b. Rep well deserved

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.