Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Montarnna)
    Not too sure if anyone has mentioned it, but MIT is so gorgeous

One out of three isn't bad

(Original post by Craghyrax)
    [COLOR=#0099FF]No imsoacademic. All Universities have ugly buildings :shifty:

Including Oxford and Cambridge:

Christ's College, Cambridge
    Yep, Typewriter Block is an eyesore. But tbh, I think all of the other buildings cancel Typewriter out.

But, I do agree, you have a point about all universities having ugly buildings... It's just Cambridge doesn't have that many...

Bloody hell, what is that? URGH! And I'm surprised seeing that's MIT. :eek:

(Original post by FinalFlash)
    How about Barts and the London Medicine School.

:eek: :eek: :eek: WOW! That makes Imperial look so bad...

Speaking of which, how come no one's mentioned Imperial?

ReputationRep:

First building is nice enough, the others not so much in my opinion. I like ancient buildings that feel like hundreds of people have been learning there, a real tradition of education and knowledge, hence Durham, Edinburgh etc. New buildings just don't have that feeling for me.

ReputationRep:
    Further to the pictures posted earlier on in the thread, I aim to continue to demonstrate why we're clearly the best looking (in Scotland, at least) :

The GUU on the right, (one of the two student unions on campus) with Pearce Lodge on the left.

Lilybank House

The Faculty of Arts

Bower Building

Kelvin Building

Professors Square

... and some of the new:

Wolfson Medical School

Fraser Building

Alwyn Williams Building

The less said about the Rankine, Adam Smith, Boyd Orr, QMU and Maths Buildings however, the better. I vote we nuke the 1960s.

And my vote for best looking university around? Penn or Duke. Not Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)

The less said about the Rankine, Adam Smith, Boyd Orr, QMU and Maths Buildings however, the better. I vote we nuke the 1960s.
    What about the poor ole Joe Black? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Did someone say snow?

That's All Souls College, Oxford.

And again:

In terms of surroundings, I'd say the University of British Columbia is really nice.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any more photos of international unis? It would be nice to see how they compare to UK ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Did someone say snow?

That's All Souls College, Oxford.
    All Souls is by far the nicest college - an aerial photo doesn't do it justice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I can imagine. I might be able to go to an event there. No idea if I'm allowed to take photos of it whilst in there though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Too nice for students

ReputationRep:
    Wow, some real beauties on this thread. I especially liked the wacky MIT buildings, i love that kind of architecture.
    For me though, nothing will ever quite match the majesty of some of those Oxbridge colleges.

My uni (Newcastle) isn't as pretty, but i love it just the same

The city itself has some wonderful architecture though:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    One out of three isn't bad
    I agree about the MIT! Some of the buildings are quite factory-esque. Have you seen Simmons Hall?

(Original post by nk9230)
    I agree about the MIT! Some of the buildings are quite factory-esque. Have you seen Simmons Hall?
    Yes! That building looks just like a computer chip standing on its edge. Bizarre. Perhaps I'm just not a fan of straight lines. I prefer more decorative and romantic buildings.

Pic of Simmons Hall:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Yes! That building looks just like a computer chip standing on its edge. Bizarre. Perhaps I'm just not a fan of straight lines. I prefer more decorative and romantic buildings.

Pic of Simmons Hall:

I honestly love Simmons. If I get in to MIT, that is where I would want to stay.

(Original post by nk9230)
    I honestly love Simmons. If I get in to MIT, that is where I would want to stay.
    If you get in then please post some photos of the interior... I've only seen it from the outside

ReputationRep:
    OMG. I just looked up that Simmons Hall place. It has a sodding ball pit.

I officially hate my life, and want to live there.

ReputationRep:
    MIT has a ball pit?? ...can you go in?! Or is it blocked off and "art"? How odd!

ReputationRep:
    no, you can go in! there's loads of pictures on flickr of people rolling around in there!

I can't even imagine the foulness of that ball pit if it was in my halls.

ReputationRep:
    :O A ball pit at uni! Amazing!
    some things really are just too good to be kept only for kids...

ReputationRep:
    I think England as they tend to have the historial buildings, but in Oz probably ANU - it's very scenic...

Problem is, it's large so if you're doing a science and arts degree you're stuffed lol as it takes at least a quater of an hour to get from one side to the other.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.