Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    If you get in then please post some photos of the interior... I've only seen it from the outside
    There are photos online on flickr, I have seen them! Also, look up videos on Youtube, it shows you how some of the walls move away to reveal "hidden" conference rooms and lounges. Some of the rooms have crazy lay outs etc... Photos below as a sample.

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by nk9230)
    There are photos online on flickr, I have seen them! Also, look up videos on Youtube, it shows you how some of the walls move away to reveal "hidden" conference rooms and lounges. Some of the rooms have crazy lay outs etc... Photos below as a sample.

Spoiler:
    Show

Thanks for posting the pics. On the whole, I prefer the interior to the exterior but I'd have to cover up those concrete walls in the dorm room though!

ReputationRep:
    Cathedral of Learning, University of Pittsburgh:

(on the left)

Pitt is actually an exceptionally good US university, one of the oldest too- although I'd hazard a guess its not as well known (at least on here) as some of its rivals. Unfortunately, it has a few too many ugly buildings (i.e. just about everything else) to be up there in the beauty stakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    Cathedral of Learning, University of Pittsburgh:

(on the left)

Pitt is actually an exceptionally good US university, one of the oldest too- although I'd hazard a guess its not as well known (at least on here) as some of its rivals. Unfortunately, it has a few too many ugly buildings (i.e. just about everything else) to be up there in the beauty stakes.
    People on this thread seem to know my list of schools! Im applying to UPitt as well. I love the Cathedral of Learning.

The school is fairly good. It is not as hard to get into compared to the Ivy League etc, but the education there is damn good.You are right, it is not well known at all, especially compared to Carnegie Mellon University- the other Uni it shares Pittsburgh with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Thanks for posting the pics. On the whole, I prefer the interior to the exterior but I'd have to cover up those concrete walls in the dorm room though!
    Oh,yes. I agree about the concrete walls!

ReputationRep:
    The dorm room at MIT look a little unnerving. The windows make it look like your room is just a squared off box as part of a huge block. Looks very regimented and unemotional! :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afua12)
    The dorm room at MIT look a little unnerving. The windows make it look like your room is just a squared off box as part of a huge block. Looks very regimented and unemotional! :s
    yeah, but the corner rooms and doubles are awesome. 18 Windows

ReputationRep:
    People on this thread seem to know my list of schools! Im applying to UPitt as well. I love the Cathedral of Learning.

The school is fairly good. It is not as hard to get into compared to the Ivy League etc, but the education there is damn good.You are right, it is not well known at all, especially compared to Carnegie Mellon University- the other Uni it shares Pittsburgh with.
    Indeed- CMU seems to be pretty well known despite its small size, I (think) it does exchanges with Scottish Unis because of its heritage. TSR is ignorant on the whole to anything outside of about 15 US schools though- and they tend to automatically think anything with 'State' tagged on the end is substandard. Penn State and Ohio State might disagree with that one... If you look at the endowments and operating budgets of US universities though, they blow the UK out of the water- the two largest Scottish Unis are 6th and 8th in the UK in terms of turnover and 3rd and 5th in terms of endowment, but would barely make the top 75 in the states. My old tutor in Scotland attended Ohio State and Florida and taught at Case Western and Rensselear and says the resources they had (and they're very good public/private institutions- but they're not Harvard) would make everything outside of Oxbridge look shoddy by comparison...

ReputationRep:
    One of these is Pripyat, the abandoned city in the shadow of Chernobyl.

The other is Warwick University.

No, I can't tell either.
    A quality post in my opinion +rep

ReputationRep:
    :yes:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    OMG. I just looked up that Simmons Hall place. It has a sodding ball pit.

I officially hate my life, and want to live there.
    Wow. That is awesome.

Every uni should have a ball pit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)

Wow. That is awesome.

Every uni should have a ball pit.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed- CMU seems to be pretty well known despite its small size, I (think) it does exchanges with Scottish Unis because of its heritage. TSR is ignorant on the whole to anything outside of about 15 US schools though- and they tend to automatically think anything with 'State' tagged on the end is substandard. Penn State and Ohio State might disagree with that one... If you look at the endowments and operating budgets of US universities though, they blow the UK out of the water- the two largest Scottish Unis are 6th and 8th in the UK in terms of turnover and 3rd and 5th in terms of endowment, but would barely make the top 75 in the states. My old tutor in Scotland attended Ohio State and Florida and taught at Case Western and Rensselear and says the resources they had (and they're very good public/private institutions- but they're not Harvard) would make everything outside of Oxbridge look shoddy by comparison...
    Really? I never realized the difference between UK and USA schools.
    On a side note, I plan on applying to Rensselear too!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh theres a big difference in funding between UK and US unis. Oxbridge are the only ones that can really hold up against them in terms of funding.
    Though saying that, despite the disparate funding the UK unis still hold their own in terms of research.

Also, one of the reasons US unis have more money is that they charge their students WAY more. I'd rather pay £3k a year to study medicine at Cambridge than $42.5K a year to study it at Harvard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    Yeh theres a big difference in funding between UK and US unis. Oxbridge are the only ones that can really hold up against them in terms of funding.
    Though saying that, despite the disparate funding the UK unis still hold their own in terms of research.

Also, one of the reasons US unis have more money is that they charge their students WAY more. I'd rather pay £3k a year to study medicine at Cambridge than $42.5K a year to study it at Harvard
    Very true.

ReputationRep:
    Rensselaer looks really nice actually, and my tutor speaks highly of it, it'd be worth a look. In regards to funds, Oxbridge would compete not with Harvard/Yale, but probably most of the rest of the US top 20. Only the big Russell Groups (Manchester/Edinburgh/UCL/Glasgow/Imperial and a few others) are comparable to much else in the top 100 American universities- the small St Andrews and the like are lightyears behind. The operating budget of most of the above run to about (in real terms) the equivalent of $8-900 million per year- Penn State (Ok, its huge) is over 3 billion per year- when adjusted for student numbers, its over twice the level of our Russell Group. This might not make a great deal of difference for courses like arts/humanities, but for cutting edge labs etc it can be quite noticeable. The effect this has on undergraduate education is debateable though, and there's no evidence that better students go to, or graduate from, these places, despite the extra money.

ReputationRep:
    I was told this was a University.....

but they lied unfortunately (Neuschwanstein Castle)

However aberystwyth is nice.

ReputationRep:
    has no-one posted a picture of the courtauld insititute yet?

nooice.

ReputationRep:
    Tokyo University of Technology

Tokyou University Clock Tower

ReputationRep:
    Here's some pics I got of my alma mater school -- Stanford University. They're a mix of photos taken by me and some nice photos I've stolen on the internet.

ENJOY!

ReputationRep:
    Meh, i'm not so keen on most of the American unis that have been posted on here (with the notable exception of MIT). They all seem a bit too pristine and bland, more like a shopping mall/holiday resort than a university.

Give me a grubby old British university any day

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.