Best looking university in the world? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Mmu

ReputationRep:
    Queen Mary!
    It has a mix of old and modern architecture

ReputationRep:
    Durham-I'd say there's enough there to keep you entertained on an evening, you don't have to travel up to Newcastle and I certainly never bothered during my time there.

ReputationRep:
    Derby and Bristol I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham has a bloody amazing campus.

ReputationRep:
    northumbria looks amazing I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatleboar)
    northumbria looks amazing I think.
    WTF at your sig man!!??

That's so awesome. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    UCL is ugleh

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PindropSilence)
    WTF at your sig man!!??

That's so awesome. :woo:
    :yep: Pretty Good aren't I?

ReputationRep:
    Exeter. Isn't part of the ground owned by the National Trust or something like that?

Anyways, it's lovely.

edit- oh wait, I just saw the part about wanting a 'buzzing nightlife'... maybe Exeter isn't your best bet lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatleboar)
    :yep: Pretty Good aren't I?
    If only man...

I'm afraid it's probably fake. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham definately

ReputationRep:
    lol am loving how biased evryone is to their own unis !!! but thanks so far am google imaging away
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I reckon Edinburgh fits the bill quite well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PindropSilence)
    If only man...

I'm afraid it's probably fake. :rolleyes:
    If only it was ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roberto_Ferrari)
    Cambridge.Oxford. Bath
    Bath as a city is lovely. But the university's campus is not to many peoples taste. Same with York but again the cities are fantastic.

The obvious examples are other historical cities like Durham (traditional Bailey area, wooded riverbanks, World Heritage Site and Europe's finest cathedral) but then a "buzzing nightlife" will kind of discount that.....

(Original post by sallen)
    Durham if you don't mind traveling up to Newcastle for night life.
    PSo why go for Durham when you can actually be in Newcastle and go for Newcastle uni? Still a solid, civic uni with a good English department. Besides, it really is too far away from Durham (and too expensive) to travel to twice a week or more.

Newcastle's campus, the original part of it, is rather pretty. It's obviously had a lot of post-1960s development, as it only received independent in the 60s, so some of the more modern buildings do look rather incongrous. But the city centre has one of the highest concentrations of listed buildings in the country with some particularly impressive Neo-Classical architecture. There are a reasonable amount of green spaces and parks, nothing particularly fantastic, but many students find themselves in Jesmond after their first year so there's always Jesmond Dene. The Northumberland offers a fantastic variety of countryside and landscapes and does have more castles than any other county in England. So lots of architecture, from the grand and majestic to the brooding and dark.

Aberdeen is well placed for great countryside and outdoors and has some lovely coastline nearby. The university's located outside the city centre and, being an ancient, there's certainly old architecture. Entry requirements are reasonable so may be a good back up.

Cardiff is possibly worth looking out. South Wales offers some great countryside and the city centre itself is very green, with a large park. A number of the university's buildings are in the old civic part of the city and are grand, white and neo-classical. Cardiff's nightlife is excellent, it rivals the usual student capitals like Newcastle and Manchester in my opinion.

Erm...Glasgow's been mentioned.....there are many around, really.

ReputationRep:
    OK I'm biased because I'm going there, but Sussex is in the middle of a massive green area, and then has Brighton about 10 minutes away which is one of the best student cities in England. And the campus is shaped like a cat, what's not to love? On a side note, the English course is pretty good there too.

Royal Holloway is another one, and Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    OK I'm biased because I'm going there, but Sussex is in the middle of a massive green area, and then has Brighton about 10 minutes away which is one of the best student cities in England. And the campus is shaped like a cat, what's not to love? On a side note, the English course is pretty good there too.
    Yeah, I'd agree with this! I did like Sussex

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge...Oxford (in that order)

I'd love to say LSE...but that would be a lie. Sadly its just a fairly average side street in London...;(

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.