Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    First two - not bad.
    Second - looks like a sports centre
    Third - ....

Either way, MMU isn't pretty overall.
    Oh, I think the third one's really pretty. That's the Art School.

MMU isn't bad overall, the Didsbury Campus is pretty nice (the first picture), it's just the main building on Oxford Road that's horrendous, and the Toast Rack.

(Original post by Prudy)
    OH! Also:

Seriously? I can't believe that. :eek:

Then again it's pictured in good weather. In bad weather.... a different story.

ReputationRep:

The worst part is, that it sort of works. I'm not sure what other examples of good Brutalist architecture there are apart from UEA and the Barbican though...

Of course, living in a city a beautiful as Cambridge means I'm oblidged to say that it's the best looking.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? I can't believe that. :eek:

Then again it's pictured in good weather. In bad weather.... a different story.
    How do you mean? Surely it's the same buildings but wet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    surprised no-one's mentioned the RAC yet -

weirdly, I get neg-repped for this. how is it ugly? hmph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I reckons it's a uni snob that did it. (My vote's imsoacademic)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    What even is it? I've googled 'RAC' ... I'm guessing its not the 'religious action centre' or the 'royal automobile club' :p: .

ReputationRep:

Haaaa, okay it's ugly I know but give the campus some credit :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    What even is it? I've googled 'RAC' ... I'm guessing its not the 'religious action centre' or the 'royal automobile club' :p: .
    It's the Royal Agricultural College. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    It's the Religious Action Centre University! (Also known as the Royal Agricultural College)

ReputationRep:
    How about Barts and the London Medicine School.

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or do the ex-polys, generally speaking, have the worst buildings?
    No imsoacademic. All Universities have ugly buildings :shifty:

Including Oxford and Cambridge:

Christ's College, Cambridge

St Catherine's College, Oxford

So please stop making unhelpful generalisations!

ReputationRep:
    Corpus Christi College, Cambridge even though they turned me down is one of the most beautiful buildings (more so the 'new' area) that I've ever seen. The surrounding walls and the Corpus Clock are just magnificent!

ReputationRep:
    One of the worst has to be Aston. I was there for a UCAS HE Convention thing, and it's just all tall buildings, really ugly. The one nice thing was a fair bit of green space about the place but just urgh in general

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming to UCL's defence here... it's not beautiful but it's not bad! And plus it's in central London which overrides its ugliness...

As for the best look uni's in the world... Cambridge and Oxford are obvious choices as being the best...

But my dad's University, Princeton Uni is beautiful

And when I went to visit my cousin at Stanford.. I thought it was a really unique and beautiful looking place!

and somewhere I've never been but I think looks really cool is peking university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyMarsh)
    Corpus Christi College, Cambridge even though they turned me down is one of the most beautiful buildings (more so the 'new' area) that I've ever seen. The surrounding walls and the Corpus Clock are just magnificent!
    Generally agreed. Except that I hate the Corpus Clock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    No imsoacademic. All Universities have ugly buildings :shifty:

Including Oxford and Cambridge:

St Catherine's College, Oxford

So please stop making unhelpful generalisations!
    I think St Catz is a bit of an aquired taste really. When I visited I know that the person with me quite liked the 1960's-ness of it. I can see why people could really like it even though it's not to my personal taste, but it does have this moaty thing which I thought was quite cute. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizB)
    I think St Catz is a bit of an aquired taste really. When I visited I know that the person with me quite liked the 1960's-ness of it. I can see why people could really like it but it's not to my personal taste, but it does have this moaty thing which I thought was quite cute. :yes:
    I haven't a clue as I've never been to it. I was just trying to demonstrate to Mr Wild And Ridiculous Generalisations over there that all Universities have at least some hideous buildings.

ReputationRep:
    Leicester University loves Brutalist architecture. There's the Charles Wilson building on the right. I don't know if the Attenborough Tower is classed as Brutalist but it's undecorated concrete so probably is (it also has a paternoster). On the left is the Engineering Building by James Stirling:

http://en.wikivisual.com/images/c/c9...ter_campus.jpg

This picture includes the Fielding Johnson building:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/conte...al_470x352.jpg

http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikiped...r_campus_3.jpg

James Stirling also designed the History Building at Cambridge University:

http://www.cambridge2000.com/cambrid...6/P6171350.jpg

One of Jesus College Cambridge:

http://www.cheng.cam.ac.uk/research/.../jesusgate.JPG

and Brasenose College Oxford:

http://www.wvu.edu/~intlprog/faculty..._brasenose.jpg

I like the other choices so far e.g. Nottingham, RHUL, Glasgow, Princeton.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by d123)
    One of the worst has to be Aston. I was there for a UCAS HE Convention thing, and it's just all tall buildings, really ugly. The one nice thing was a fair bit of green space about the place but just urgh in general
    I agree. I was considering it as a uni option and went to visit and it was a bit... blah? The lake and fountains made it a little better but compared to my last uni (an actual green campus uni with a huuuuuge lake, woodland area and too many furry things running around) it was just depressing.

Keele Hall is pretty... the rest of the campus is just incredibly green and lakey.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.