Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    I'll try to answer a few questions you've got there.

You shouldn't be worried about their rating system. What they're looking for is the right subjects at school (sciences, english, music/art; but not a must), good grades (we're talking AAAAB/AAAAA first sitting), around 2 weeks work experience, proof of manual dexterity, teamwork, etc.

It's not too late for work experience, try to get some done before mid october though, so you can write about it in your personal statement. At latest get it done before jan/feb so you have something to talk about it the interviews.

I'm guessing your backup course will be less competitve. As long as you don't plan to apply to oxbridge, you're fine. My back up was engineering at edinburgh and I got an unconditional within 2 weeks of applying. Don't try to form your PS to suit both; focus on dentistry. Ignore your back-up for now.

Root canal from w/e; althought you might not see any during your time there. You shouldn't know too much detail about it anyway; you drill a hole in the tooth and 'clean it', it's not 100% effective, might need to pull the tooth out anyway and it's mighty expensive (I think it was around £100 on the NHS).

For manual dexterity, you can include certificates (I think you staple them onto your portfolio), but i'd recommend including your own piece if you have anything. Makes a stronger application.

I think they asked me about the news (non-dental related) too. Ranted on about the economy, banks and loans. Probably shouldn't have. Was also asked to explain the difference between a profession and a trade. Harder than you might think. Dundee were so much easier... if you manage to get an interview with them; score!

Glasgow uni prefer human bio. If you're in 6th year, take human. If you're in 5th year, normal biology may be better so you can go on to do advanced higher biology. Not sure you can go on to AH with human bio.
    Thanks for answering my questions. I thought you had to get AAAAB by the end of S6 and at least AABB first sitting (?)

I will only be applying to Glasgow. Do Universities see the other courses you're appliying to?

What sort of pieces for manual dexterity - artwork, craftwork, ?

I'm in 6th year so can't do AH Biology without doing Higher in S5.

And my list of questions just got longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazoo.C)
    :eek: just seen on the uni website that they give each candidate a mark out of 3 and if you get 0 you are automatically rejected!

I only got an average of 600 in the UKCAT - ran out of time in AR causing my score for this section to be below 600. I'm worried that the cut-off will be higher than this. I e-mailed an admissions advisor and they said they don't decide the cut-off until they get all the applications.

Is it too late to be doing work experience ? How long would you recommend to do it for?

I am also worried about writing my PS as I will be applying to different courses as a backup. If I dont show a 100% interest in Dentistry I feel I will be rejected immediately.

Did you know all about root canal treatment etc from work experience or did you have to learn about it yourself for your interview.

Manual Dexterity - Oh no I have recently thrown away some pieces of my artwork because I didn't like them much. Can you include certificates given by your school.

Dentistry seems to very tough to apply to - who knew they ask you about the news in an interview.

I was just confused whether to pick Human Biology or Biology because an A is compulsary for Dentistry. Many people have been saying that Human Biology is more difficult ? :confused:

Oh and I gave you rep . Thanks for answering my hundreds of questions.
    did you haha! well you need AABB from 5th year and if you dont have that then thats how you get a 0 and maybe a 1 would be like if your personal statement was really poor but don't worry, i'm sure you'll be a 3!! :cool: and if not you can charm the interview panel! they do have a strict process but i think its fair cause everyone gets a chance even if they dont have 5A's cause having 5A's doesnt mean you'll make a good dentist! and this is coming from someone who got 5A's last year! haha its personality too

only? 600's perfect you should be really chuffed with yourself and now its all out the way and you can focus on your personal statement and extra curricular stuff so thats a good thing. omg see how we get those old fashioned calculators! i couldnt work mine and done a few in my head and then guessed them all and that was my 2nd best section! i felt sick after that but i had to keep going and do well in the other ones, i pure loved AR! is that the shapes yeh? awwh you shouldnt have bothered 600 will be fine, i think the cut offs around 520, 600's a high score you! :p:

are you joking? :eek: i started mine about this time haha! i had problems where i live getting it, every practice rejected me because i wasn't a patient or they "didn't take on students" so i went to my family dentist in town every monday for an afternoon on my free period, yes while all my friends went home or went shopping i got on a train to do work experience but i loved it my dentist is great and you learn so much don't you. i think its more impressive if you say your doing a few hours a week because it shows commitment but i done a full on week in a fully nhs dentist in govan during my october break, i loved that too but it really was like a full time job so i was absolutely shattered. how much have you done so far? its just because i was still doing it around the time of my interview and had loads to talk about so start writing down what you did and what you learned. my theory for interviews is the more you talk the less they can ask a few hours a week is more than enough and you have to write down how many days you do so i ended up with 14 even though it was only about 2/3 hours.

see i always thought that but i met a girl at my dundee interview who applied to medicine too, and she got accepted by 2 medical schools which is amazing! like dentistry is so hard to get into so its safe having a back up but i think you should just go for it, i didn't have a back up which left me very nervous waiting for at least one offer! haha if you wanna do dentistry, make your whole PS dentistry, your back up wont reject you for it being a back up, they will understand its a safety net, like 1000's of people apply to pharmacy as a back up to medicine and dentisty.

i asked at my work experience and saw the procedure done a few times but theres a great site that explains everything in detail.http://www.bda.org/ and its the 3d mouth, its amazing! i actually messed up that question in the interview! i forgot to say you fill it again! i think i stopped at drill a hole into the pulp! haha i can hardly mind it now cause i havent been doing work experience, owell i will learn in september i suppose! :rolleyes: btw someone got asked how many teeth an adult should normally have so it depends like i was so lucky my interviewers were lovely but you never know what you'll get asked! its 32 but if you didnt know you could always count your own with your tongue in the interview :p: another hard one is what would you spend money on in dentistry, id always say prevention, like the government funds stop smoking and drinking campaigns, how about stop wrecking your teeth campaigns? maybe not in they words haha! omg and i am writing this eating a box of french fancies! such a hypocrit!:woo: :woo:

manual dexterity, dundee werent so interested but nevertheless they were going to get showed my lovely yummy cakes i decorated! haha yeh what are the certifcates for? like you have so much time to do something else cause its a 3rd of your mark for glasgow and everyone plays an instrument, i made jewlerry and done sewing, sewings a good one to do and bring everything with you, i heard of a lot of guys doing models and sculptures and things. i done a bit of guitar but i was shaking before i went in so i doubt i'd be able to give them a song! start drawing again cause its impressive.

i didnt go for my newcastle interview but glasgow dont have your PS so they try and get to know you, they will ask your opinions on stuff, i got asked about banks and loans and repossesions. it doesnt have to be about dentistry. but the worst thing would be if they're like talk about a current topic, and your like....eh. really keep up to date, and im pretty sure you could use the recession! that thing will still be around next year

i started off in human biolgy at the start of the year and looked at a biolgy textbook and felt i would enjoy it much more, i love animals!:p: i would say biology is easier than human but tbh i studied all the wrong stuff! the 2 of them are so broad that you'd need to work really hard in both of them. loadsa memory and the problem solving is hard. its up to you really, whatever you decide just get an A and your sorted, its good cause if you get an offer you know your condtional, an A in biology. i got a wee bit of a shock with mines! i had to get a B in advanced chemistry and became a total hermit from the end of march until june teaching myself the whole course cause i was a **** and became too complacent with studying in 6th year! so learn from that and work hard right from the start cause if you lose your 'studying ways' then uni will come as a shock, especially cause the only thing i've been writing this summer is receipts from a till :eek3:

awwh thanks i would give you some back but i don't know how to do it! when i find out how i will return it haha! no problem, i didnt have anyone to talk to about the whole application so the student rooms great for any questions cause everyones the same as you or have been through it :o:

heres another quesiton i heard people getting asked, what 3 people would you have dinner with past/present?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bella691)
    Any of the peeps here heading to glasgow next year- Do any of you know if we needa buy our text books when we get there or are lectures all online- was talking to a dentist the other day- graduated tho like 30 years ago - and he was just saying text books cost him a bomb - eeeek!! Thats one thing I never thought about- oh flip- im gonna be a broke student!!! !! Hopefully the unis all uptodate and online and we wont need text books - but i dont reckon thatll be the way of it!! Oh but there is the really big dental library.... maybe thats were we meant to read the books? Does anyone have an idea? thanx
    i think we get them when we get there, cause the students from first year will be finsished with a few of theirs so maybe we'll get a wee discount. i know what you mean though, my friends doings english and her lecturer sent her a list of all the books she needs! pure organised isnt it! im a bit confused with everything, even with freshers and that! haha

omg and that was 30 years ago when things where cheap! they'll be so much more dearer now won't they! like a lot of stuffs online i think but we'll defo need the books cause yeh mind the tour, we got shown a library with books in it so maybe we could borrow a few too. you cant buy books in a library can you? that would be like a shop surely?

awwh i was planning on spending my student loan on a winter wardrobe and driving lessons! in reality it will have to be spent on loadsa books and travel expenses! boo! haha :p:

ReputationRep:
    I will only be applying to Glasgow. Do Universities see the other courses you're appliying to?
    how come your only applying to glasgow? like i know its the best and that but i'm a bit confused :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa.Marie)
    did you haha! well you need AABB from 5th year and if you dont have that then thats how you get a 0 and maybe a 1 would be like if your personal statement was really poor but don't worry, i'm sure you'll be a 3!! :cool: and if not you can charm the interview panel! they do have a strict process but i think its fair cause everyone gets a chance even if they dont have 5A's cause having 5A's doesnt mean you'll make a good dentist! and this is coming from someone who got 5A's last year! haha its personality too

only? 600's perfect you should be really chuffed with yourself and now its all out the way and you can focus on your personal statement and extra curricular stuff so thats a good thing. omg see how we get those old fashioned calculators! i couldnt work mine and done a few in my head and then guessed them all and that was my 2nd best section! i felt sick after that but i had to keep going and do well in the other ones, i pure loved AR! is that the shapes yeh? awwh you shouldnt have bothered 600 will be fine, i think the cut offs around 520, 600's a high score you! :p:

are you joking? :eek: i started mine about this time haha! i had problems where i live getting it, every practice rejected me because i wasn't a patient or they "didn't take on students" so i went to my family dentist in town every monday for an afternoon on my free period, yes while all my friends went home or went shopping i got on a train to do work experience but i loved it my dentist is great and you learn so much don't you. i think its more impressive if you say your doing a few hours a week because it shows commitment but i done a full on week in a fully nhs dentist in govan during my october break, i loved that too but it really was like a full time job so i was absolutely shattered. how much have you done so far? its just because i was still doing it around the time of my interview and had loads to talk about so start writing down what you did and what you learned. my theory for interviews is the more you talk the less they can ask a few hours a week is more than enough and you have to write down how many days you do so i ended up with 14 even though it was only about 2/3 hours.

see i always thought that but i met a girl at my dundee interview who applied to medicine too, and she got accepted by 2 medical schools which is amazing! like dentistry is so hard to get into so its safe having a back up but i think you should just go for it, i didn't have a back up which left me very nervous waiting for at least one offer! haha if you wanna do dentistry, make your whole PS dentistry, your back up wont reject you for it being a back up, they will understand its a safety net, like 1000's of people apply to pharmacy as a back up to medicine and dentisty.

i asked at my work experience and saw the procedure done a few times but theres a great site that explains everything in detail.http://www.bda.org/ and its the 3d mouth, its amazing! i actually messed up that question in the interview! i forgot to say you fill it again! i think i stopped at drill a hole into the pulp! haha i can hardly mind it now cause i havent been doing work experience, owell i will learn in september i suppose! :rolleyes: btw someone got asked how many teeth an adult should normally have so it depends like i was so lucky my interviewers were lovely but you never know what you'll get asked! its 32 but if you didnt know you could always count your own with your tongue in the interview :p: another hard one is what would you spend money on in dentistry, id always say prevention, like the government funds stop smoking and drinking campaigns, how about stop wrecking your teeth campaigns? maybe not in they words haha! omg and i am writing this eating a box of french fancies! such a hypocrit!:woo: :woo:

manual dexterity, dundee werent so interested but nevertheless they were going to get showed my lovely yummy cakes i decorated! haha yeh what are the certifcates for? like you have so much time to do something else cause its a 3rd of your mark for glasgow and everyone plays an instrument, i made jewlerry and done sewing, sewings a good one to do and bring everything with you, i heard of a lot of guys doing models and sculptures and things. i done a bit of guitar but i was shaking before i went in so i doubt i'd be able to give them a song! start drawing again cause its impressive.

i didnt go for my newcastle interview but glasgow dont have your PS so they try and get to know you, they will ask your opinions on stuff, i got asked about banks and loans and repossesions. it doesnt have to be about dentistry. but the worst thing would be if they're like talk about a current topic, and your like....eh. really keep up to date, and im pretty sure you could use the recession! that thing will still be around next year

i started off in human biolgy at the start of the year and looked at a biolgy textbook and felt i would enjoy it much more, i love animals!:p: i would say biology is easier than human but tbh i studied all the wrong stuff! the 2 of them are so broad that you'd need to work really hard in both of them. loadsa memory and the problem solving is hard. its up to you really, whatever you decide just get an A and your sorted, its good cause if you get an offer you know your condtional, an A in biology. i got a wee bit of a shock with mines! i had to get a B in advanced chemistry and became a total hermit from the end of march until june teaching myself the whole course cause i was a **** and became too complacent with studying in 6th year! so learn from that and work hard right from the start cause if you lose your 'studying ways' then uni will come as a shock, especially cause the only thing i've been writing this summer is receipts from a till :eek3:

awwh thanks i would give you some back but i don't know how to do it! when i find out how i will return it haha! no problem, i didnt have anyone to talk to about the whole application so the student rooms great for any questions cause everyones the same as you or have been through it :o:

heres another quesiton i heard people getting asked, what 3 people would you have dinner with past/present?
    Well done for getting 5 As - You must be really smart, it's strange you got a conditional even though you already had the required AAAAB. You'll make a great dentist - it seems like you have a great personality.

Yeah AR is the shapes section - I liked it too but ran out of time in the exam - that's why it was my lowest section. I kept pressing the wrong button on the calculator a lot so I guessed most of them aswell and it turned out to be my 2nd best section too. I've seen people with averages of 700 and above :eek:

No I haven't done any work experience for Dentistry yet. I have asked a few places and they have still to get back to me.

I know nothing yet apart from how many teeth an adult and child should have. I think I should spend the next month learning all about types of treatment etc. Oh and not to forget the latest news! Thanks for the site I will have a look at it.

I should start drawing more as i'll probably have to provide evidence.

Good luck to you in your 1st year at Glasgow Uni - not that you need it by the sound of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    It does seem strange that we need to write essays in the course. I'll be fine with that though. The only bits with english that I wasn't too keen on was 'analysis', or as I like to think of it; looking for hidden meanings that aren't really there. And the fact that I didn't do much work in class anyway :o:. Best to get my act together soon though :p:

I was born in Belfast, only lived there for a few years. But from what I remeber of it, it was lovely. Your dad should be fine, there aren't too many 'rough' parts in aberdeen. The school I went to was westhill, apart from a slight ned problem, it's fine. Not sure there were any physics teaching places though; that department has 3 teachers I think. Doesn't sound like much, but only around 50 people take physics. Your dog will miss him too? Smart to notice though

Chuck the programme; brilliant. Never understood why girls liked chuck bass though. But... once you think about it, he's got that "bad boy" image with a "soft centre" underneath, so every girl thinks she can change him... Oh. I get it. Guys are much easier to please... looks make up around 90-100% of attraction, it's simple. REALLY have strayed from dentistry now. We were talking at the possibility of a career path into prostitution at one point!

I can't stand liverpool or newcastle accents. :p: Love the irish and "posh" english ones though. I applied to newcastle. Don't think I can get used to how they speak when I went down for an interview! I don't have aberdonian accent, at least I don't think I do. I'm in a neurtral area of aberdeen, few people have strong regional accents. But I'm sure if I went to america or even just england I'd be spotted as a Scot instantly.

Just done 6 days in a row myself without realising it. Got into a routine of getting up and going to work. I thought I may as well do all the overtime I can before I start uni and don't have the time to work. But yeah... I don't plan to work much more either, only saturday & sunday for me. :yep:

I think there's a limit to where you don't care if you have more money. £70k a year as a dentist is a lot. Wouldn't care if anyone earns more. It's enough to be able to afford to have money fights. Yeah, ok, unusual goal, I know. But if you can, why not? Even the starting salary is tasty; £28k or something, that's around £2k a month after tax. That's more than I've earned all summer! I'm sure it's not going to be as easy as shelf staking though. :p:

I'm not arrogant per se, I'm just not modest. I wouldn't ever gloat or put anyone down, I just wouldn't undermine myself. Stand your ground and all that. Also find it hard to be sensitive around others; try to say what I think, even when my opinion isn't asked for. Doesn't always work out as you might imagine. :rolleyes:

And you're not daft. Far from it. :yep: We need to take a leaf out of each other's books (never used that expression...lol; first time for everything).

Our school didn't have a uniform, which meant throwing on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt before heading to school. Some claim that learning is better when you feel like you're in a working enviornment, but our school did ok terms of academia, etc. Would feel strange if I went to school in a suit!

Yeah.. need to go clothes shopping soon, only have like 2 pairs of jeans that still fit... I'll never buy a pair described as 'straight cut'. Ouch is all i'll say and leave it at that. Should probably try them on before buying. :rolleyes:. You'll meet loads of people at freshers, then forget half their names, and becoming really good friends with them, but still don't know their name and would feel awkward at that point to ask for it. I think that's the only thing i'll be afriad of. Once forgot someone's name five seconds after being told. Then confronted about it. :rolleyes:

I think I might buy a proper desktop pc instead, wouldn't really move it around unless I'm taking the train home (and even then, the journey takes an hour), and no one uses laptops in lectures... but then again I could buy one of those mini laptops so carrying around would be easier... I'll most likely leave this as a last minute thing. :p:

You've got a wad of cash lying around in an envelope? lol, bank it soon before you lose it again. Shouldn't blame your mother! :p: I found an envelope of euros/dollors in my cupboard a few months back and banked it when the exchange rate was at its best. That was lucky.

I know they don't supply bedding, but that's not a problem as I can buy something just before I get there. The shopping centre's big enough; there's bound to be a place that sells! Not sure about pots and pans... I get discount off tesco, i'll buy stuff when I get to dundee. Nothing like leaving things last minute. :yep:
    i was so confused there! like i wrote a reply to yazoo and then noticed you wrote something too and like we says the exact same things! great minds think alike! haha :p: it's nice helping someone isn't it! i was ko about glasgow being the best :p: though technically we are number one this year according to the times but theres nothing really between dental schools.

i loved texual analysis! and it wasnt even in the final exam! i'm sure you'll be more than capable having got AA in advanced highers! :p: thats like first year dentistry practically!

awwh belfast looks lovely my grannys family are from donnegal. yeh your right aberdeens a really affluent place cause his rents extorshinent! i think hes staying B&B at the start haha! do yous not have granite? i learned that in geography! :p: it must be a bigger school but aberdeens the only place looking for physics teachers, most of his interviews where in aberdeen. if i went to dundee i would take my dog with me! like your right dogs are clever, she knows when the toaster is on she might get a bit of toast! :cool: and comes down the stairs.

cause of the whole arrogance thing, hes hot and he knows it and i think everyone likes a bad boy! omg your so right! every girl thinks they can change him! omg hilary duff is meant to be in season 3 woohoo!
    i think personality is important too, like looks attract you but if yous click with eachother and get on well then thats what makes it last. omg i know! we hardly even talk about glasgow at all! prostitutions been mentioned a lot more! and aberdeen, btw they have a post grad dental school? :eek: i did not know that!

i like posh english accents on hot guys, thats the only time i like it haha i love liverpool accents and like cherly cole so therefore like geordie accents nothing beats an irish! do you like glaswegian accents aye? :rolleyes: when i was on holiday in floroida i got asked where im from :confused: mind you scottish people dont understand me so i dont blame them!

it pisses me off though cause girls love guy dentists cause they have loadsa money, i think guys dont like girls earning more money than them so its good for the guys, bad for the girls :p: not that i want guys after me for my money! haha money fights! lmao everyone always says to me awwh you'll be minted! its a shame its not the now when i'm currently the only person earning a wage in my house right now! :p: haha but even if dentists earned minimum wage i'd still wanna do it, just need to marry rich! :rolleyes: tax is like 50% now! thats awful! maybe for like footballers but doctors and dentists deserve the same taxing system as everyone else.

awwh thats okay then, i thought you meant like proper arrogant but having confidence in your abilities is fine, im on the opposite end of the scale! trying to get the confidence! haha what do you mean sensitive? like dont show your emotions? thats fair enough, i cant help it im such a wuss! :woo:

we do! then we could meet half way and be perfect in those attributes! :p: like just the right amount of confidence.

omg you didnt need to wear uniform! we tbh neither did we until we got a pure strict head who sent me home for wearing a short skirt! :eek: i was a wee rebel with uniform!

thats why dentistry will be amazing, you'll make really good friends in your year cause its close knit instead of meeting everyone in different lectures! i think by the end of 2 weeeks we'll know everyone in our year! bet you we do, yous have 70 and glasgow have 90. im buying a lot more casual clothes, but omg we'll get a wee cute white tunic! :o:

yeh it ws my fault, i was looking for someone to blame but i found it and put it int he bank today, i also tidied my room today so it wont happen again, well until it gets messy again! haha was it from a holiday yeh? thats really good, wee bit of extra cash

its more fun last minute and you get stuff done more quickly, oh you get bedding in tesco, buy everything there, all my room stuff is from next! haha when do you get your keys?

ReputationRep:
    how come your only applying to glasgow? like i know its the best and that but i'm a bit confused :p:
    Oh I know i'm stupid thinking I'll manage to get into Glasgow - It seems more unlikely than likely. But the main reason is because my mum doesn't want me to go and study outside of Glasgow - she's that sort of person. If not Dentistry - then i'll probably be applying to Pharmacy and another course - which I have yet to choose.

I think I will put that I have a vague interest of sciences on my PS - even though they are more than a backup. I may apply to Edinburgh but I'm not 100% sure yet.

ReputationRep:
    Well done for getting 5 As - You must be really smart, it's strange you got a conditional even though you already had the required AAAAB. You'll make a great dentist - it seems like you have a great personality.

Yeah AR is the shapes section - I liked it too but ran out of time in the exam - that's why it was my lowest section. I kept pressing the wrong button on the calculator a lot so I guessed most of them aswell and it turned out to be my 2nd best section too. I've seen people with averages of 700 and above :eek:

No I haven't done any work experience for Dentistry yet. I have asked a few places and they have still to get back to me.

I know nothing yet apart from how many teeth an adult and child should have. I think I should spend the next month learning all about types of treatment etc. Oh and not to forget the latest news! Thanks for the site I will have a look at it.

I should start drawing more as i'll probably have to provide evidence.

Good luck to you in your 1st year at Glasgow Uni - not that you need it by the sound of it.
    if you met me you'd be shocked, i'm such a dafty!! no common sense, you can teach youself highers but common sense is natural! :rolleyes: suppose you get one or the other. aww thanks a lot thats what i says, i got told at the open day it would be physics cause i got an A in chemistry already but i just worked and tried me best to get it cause as much as i think dundee would be a great oppertunity moving away, i preffered glasgow and didnt wanna put finincial stress on my mum and dad, plus i'd miss them! its cause they took on too many people last year i think so there was even more competition, as if it wasn't bad enough! haha awwh thank you so much! i hope i do, if i mess up their mouth at least my patients will think shes a nice girl, lets just not sue her!!! :o: right back at you so i hope you get accepted!

who cares about other people :p: thats one thing i learned too, don't compare yourself to other people, just focus about yourself, you done great!

i would go to your family dentist cause you wanna write stuff in your PS. if you are struggling to find any i'll PM you a few number who would take you i think.

have fun swoting up! you have plenty of time if you start doing it now.

oh you didnt answer my question about just applying to glasgow, dundee are the strictest for grades but what about newcastle? newcastles meant to be lovely, they have a bar called the crown bridge! its just because if you get an interview for newcastle, that will be like a warm up for glasgow and another option. dundees really good too but their interview was so relaxed, seriously i actually enjoyed it! haha

yeh because manual dexteritys so important! it one of the first things i got asked except my tapestry was huge and in a clear folder so evryone was pure what the hell! haha

awwh thank you oh i will need it! haha if theres anything else you need to know then feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I know i'm stupid thinking I'll manage to get into Glasgow - It seems more unlikely than likely. But the main reason is because my mum doesn't want me to go and study outside of Glasgow - she's that sort of person. If not Dentistry - then i'll probably be applying to Pharmacy and another course - which I have yet to choose.

I think I will put that I have a vague interest of sciences on my PS - even though they are more than a backup. I may apply to Edinburgh but I'm not 100% sure yet.
    what did you get in 5th year? its not that im saying you wont get into glasgow cause dont get me wrong if i was 100% sure id get accepted i wouldnt bother with dundee but its really risky. my mum is exactly like yours. im an only child and she wanted me to turn down my place at dundee if i didnt get my condtional! that would be crazy. if you really want to do dentistry, apply to dundee and newcastle too. it makes your chances of getting in higher than just relying on glasgow. like you cant just say glasgow or nothing cause at the end of the day dentistrys dentistry. why does she not want you to move out? my mums main reason is just me moving out full stop, like i'd be away from her. my mum was also worried she wouldnt be able to afford it but whatever loans i would of had to take out to cover it, on a dentists salary it would be more than okay to pay back plus in 2nd-5th year we get a 4 grand a year burasry.

im so confused, you dont wanna study outside glasgow but wanna do science at edinburgh :confused: awwh wait so thats like pharmacy and science, you can do them plus dundee and newcastle. 5 choices you get.

ReputationRep:
    if you met me you'd be shocked, i'm such a dafty!! no common sense, you can teach youself highers but common sense is natural! :rolleyes: suppose you get one or the other. aww thanks a lot thats what i says, i got told at the open day it would be physics cause i got an A in chemistry already but i just worked and tried me best to get it cause as much as i think dundee would be a great oppertunity moving away, i preffered glasgow and didnt wanna put finincial stress on my mum and dad, plus i'd miss them! its cause they took on too many people last year i think so there was even more competition, as if it wasn't bad enough! haha awwh thank you so much! i hope i do, if i mess up their mouth at least my patients will think shes a nice girl, lets just not sue her!!! :o: right back at you so i hope you get accepted!

who cares about other people :p: thats one thing i learned too, don't compare yourself to other people, just focus about yourself, you done great!

i would go to your family dentist cause you wanna write stuff in your PS. if you are struggling to find any i'll PM you a few number who would take you i think.

have fun swoting up! you have plenty of time if you start doing it now.

oh you didnt answer my question about just applying to glasgow, dundee are the strictest for grades but what about newcastle? newcastles meant to be lovely, they have a bar called the crown bridge! its just because if you get an interview for newcastle, that will be like a warm up for glasgow and another option. dundees really good too but their interview was so relaxed, seriously i actually enjoyed it! haha

yeh because manual dexteritys so important! it one of the first things i got asked except my tapestry was huge and in a clear folder so evryone was pure what the hell! haha

awwh thank you oh i will need it! haha if theres anything else you need to know then feel free to ask.
    If I have too much trouble finding work experience i'll ask you but otherwise I think I will ask my family dentist.

I think you didn't noticed my other post but I may apply to Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    what did you get in 5th year? its not that im saying you wont get into glasgow cause dont get me wrong if i was 100% sure id get accepted i wouldnt bother with dundee but its really risky. my mum is exactly like yours. im an only child and she wanted me to turn down my place at dundee if i didnt get my condtional! that would be crazy. if you really want to do dentistry, apply to dundee and newcastle too. it makes your chances of getting in higher than just relying on glasgow. like you cant just say glasgow or nothing cause at the end of the day dentistrys dentistry. why does she not want you to move out? my mums main reason is just me moving out full stop, like i'd be away from her. my mum was also worried she wouldnt be able to afford it but whatever loans i would of had to take out to cover it, on a dentists salary it would be more than okay to pay back plus in 2nd-5th year we get a 4 grand a year burasry.

im so confused, you dont wanna study outside glasgow but wanna do science at edinburgh :confused: awwh wait so thats like pharmacy and science, you can do them plus dundee and newcastle. 5 choices you get.
    My mum doesn't want me to study outside Glasgow - her main reason that she doesn't want me to be away from her. I will be applying to Dentistry at Glasgow and maybe Edinburgh. I will also be applying to pharmacy in Glasgow. I have still to decide another course which is highly likely to be a science one - I will also apply to this course in Glasgow.

I got AAABB so I will definetly get a conditional - if I manage to get an offer! My mum would prefer me studiying in Glasgow (Pharmacy) rather that Dundee for Dentistry. Although she wants me to make my own choice. Choosing Dentistry is only a recent decision I have made.

Is Dentistry always been your main career choice?

ReputationRep:
    My mum doesn't want me to study outside Glasgow. I will be applying to Dentistry at Glasgow and maybe Edinburgh. I will also be appliying to pharmacy in Glasgow. I have still to decide another course which is highly likely to be a science one - I will also apply to this course in Glasgow.

I got AAABB so I will definetly get a conditional - if I manage to get an offer! My mum would prefer me studiying in Glasgow (Pharmacy) rather that Dundee for Dentistry. Although she wants me to make my own choice. Choosing Dentistry is only a recent decision I have made.
    neither does mine and it's nice cause some parents want their kids to move out! haha but now everytime we argue shes like why didnt you just go to dundee :mad: strathcylde does pharmacy doesnt it? theres one in aberdeen robert gordon but your as well doing something different. what about optometry, thats a good back up.

awwh well done if you get accepted by glasgow it will be an A in biology, you done really well in 5th year! you must be well chuffed. yeh i totally understand its up to you, i know people who just applied to glasgow and got in. is dentistry your main one then yeh?

ReputationRep:
    neither does mine and it's nice cause some parents want their kids to move out! haha but now everytime we argue shes like why didnt you just go to dundee :mad: strathcylde does pharmacy doesnt it? theres one in aberdeen robert gordon but your as well doing something different. what about optometry, thats a good back up.

awwh well done if you get accepted by glasgow it will be an A in biology, you done really well in 5th year! you must be well chuffed. yeh i totally understand its up to you, i know people who just applied to glasgow and got in. is dentistry your main one then yeh?
    Yeah Dentistry is my main choice, pharmacy probably second. Strathclyde only does Pharmacy - not glasgow. I think I would have a better chance of getting an offer if I had AAAAB in 5th year. I have already done Physics and Chemistry - Got an A in both so biology is the only subject thats missing.

I think it would be best if I applied to Dundee as well but my mum will probably end up making me do pharmacy or something in Glasgow. I will have a look at more courses and will have a look at Optometry

ReputationRep:
    Is Dentistry always been your main career choice?
    em, actually i'd say yeh, i think since first year i loved science so wanted to do something involving it. and i mind in 2nd year i was looking at career books and i looked up dentistry and i saw AAAAA in one sitting and my heart just sank, like i thought it was impossible even though i never started my standard grades so it was kind of like my "dream job". i done my 4th year work experience in a primary school and that really put me off! i love kids but i would never get taken seriously as a teacher, i was more their friend, but i done that cause there was nothing else to do, just ruled out teaching! haha :p:

usually people doing dentistry haved looked into medicine but that has never appealed to me, probably vet med appealed more! i love animals so much but i could never put one down, it would break my heart! I have a great family dentist and had a lot of orthodontic work which really changed my personailty, like i used to be shy and never smile and now im the total opposite after my braces so they were strong influences on me. so yeh always dentistry! my mum was pure why do you wanna do that? most people don't understand the attraction to it but it looks a great job. it would make my day making people happy with their smile

its really hard though to decide what you wanna do i mean we are still young so its normal to be thinking about other stuff too

ReputationRep:
    em, actually i'd say yeh, i think since first year i loved science so wanted to do something involving it. and i mind in 2nd year i was looking at career books and i looked up dentistry and i saw AAAAA in one sitting and my heart just sank, like i thought it was impossible even though i never started my standard grades so it was kind of like my "dream job". i done my 4th year work experience in a primary school and that really put me off! i love kids but i would never get taken seriously as a teacher, i was more their friend, but i done that cause there was nothing else to do, just ruled out teaching! haha :p:

usually people doing dentistry haved looked into medicine but that has never appealed to me, probably vet med appealed more! i love animals so much but i could never put one down, it would break my heart! I have a great family dentist and had a lot of orthodontic work which really changed my personailty, like i used to be shy and never smile and now im the total opposite after my braces so they were strong influences on me. so yeh always dentistry! my mum was pure why do you wanna do that? most people don't understand the attraction to it but it looks a great job. it would make my day making people happy with their smile

its really hard though to decide what you wanna do i mean we are still young so its normal to be thinking about other stuff too
    My dad is the complete opposite - he is encouraging me to do dentistry. He says it is easy hours and you get paid a lot for even a small checkup

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Dentistry is my main choice, pharmacy probably second. Strathclyde only does Pharmacy - not glasgow. I think I would have a better chance of getting an offer if I had AAAAB in 5th year. I have already done Physics and Chemistry - Got an A in both so biology is the only subject thats missing.

I think it would be best if I applied to Dundee as well but my mum will probably end up making me do pharmacy or something in Glasgow. I will have a look at more courses and will have a look at Optometry
    you have your A's in your sciences wihich is the most important just focus on getting into dentistry, you'll get offers for your back ups without saying anything in your PS. strathcylde is amazing! i went there for a day and loved it :p: well harder maybe from dundee cause they are fussy on grades but defo not for glasgow, this is where your portfolio and interview comes in to separete people with similar grades and if its between someone with 5A's and they dont do well in their interview and you do then they'll choose you. your obviously very sciencey and will cope well with biology, words cannot describe my hate for physics! i will never understand electronics! haha

yeh do what you thinks best, if your really keen on dentistry i would recomend a few more dental schools but it doesnt hurt to have a look at other courses too.

omy my dads like that too, he was so happy when i told him i was applying! he obviously just wants to upgrade his jeep when i qualify! haha whereas my mums like why would someone wanna do that! :p: it is like a nice job though, particularly for mums cause you can work part time and still earn a decent wage.

ReputationRep:
    words cannot describe my hate for physics! i will never understand electronics! haha
    I feel the same way about English - I would hate to be re-sitting it this year, so I'm lucky I passed.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same way about English - I would hate to be re-sitting it this year, so I'm lucky I passed.
    i loved english but your right it would of been awful to re-sit but a few of my friends went from a C to an A. i dont know why i put myself through physics? awh it was cause glasgow 'prefer' you to have it! :rolleyes: you deserve an offer after doing it! nah im being harsh i enjoyed unit 1, just unit 2 :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    i think we get them when we get there, cause the students from first year will be finsished with a few of theirs so maybe we'll get a wee discount. i know what you mean though, my friends doings english and her lecturer sent her a list of all the books she needs! pure organised isnt it! im a bit confused with everything, even with freshers and that! haha

omg and that was 30 years ago when things where cheap! they'll be so much more dearer now won't they! like a lot of stuffs online i think but we'll defo need the books cause yeh mind the tour, we got shown a library with books in it so maybe we could borrow a few too. you cant buy books in a library can you? that would be like a shop surely?

awwh i was planning on spending my student loan on a winter wardrobe and driving lessons! in reality it will have to be spent on loadsa books and travel expenses! boo! haha :p:
    Lol arghhh so much hidden cost- emailed glasgow the other day to ask bout fees- because im from Northern Ireland the fees for me are £1820- which I thought "score"- seeing as in Belfast fees are over £3000 and anywhere else in england!! But then I found out the cost of halls- £4000 a year compared to £ 3000- so pretty much the amount I save for in fees is paid back in the cost of living and thats not even including all the flights and ferries back and forth!! But all in the name of Dentistry at Glasgow *fingers crossed for the 20th*

Yeah mumis going crazy atm- she comes home from the weekly shop with 100s of cleaning products and washing stuff etc - says shes starting my uni "things" off for me!! Are you staying in halls? Just the other day caught her flicking through argos- contemplating buying me a mini fridge- but not one of the small ones - 18 flippin litres lol!! But she is all for saving the student loan - says if she finds out I'vbeen spending it on clothes shes gonna kill me- lol but I will find ways!! Like how amazing is the dental school- just at the top of a street of amazing shops- *after interview shopping lol!!*

Yeah books- hopefully well be able to buy second hand ones etc- and then I keep forgetting bout the hep b injection - its gonna cost money as well!

Maybe not so much clothes for me

ReputationRep:
    i loved english but your right it would of been awful to re-sit but a few of my friends went from a C to an A. i dont know why i put myself through physics? awh it was cause glasgow 'prefer' you to have it! :rolleyes: you deserve an offer after doing it! nah im being harsh i enjoyed unit 1, just unit 2 :eek3:
    I didn't really like it because every time I had English was always a double period. It was so boring on a Friday afternoon because my teacher made us do two timed essays. :bored:. I reckon it was also the most difficult subject out of all my highers - no wonder the pass mark is so low.

I only did Physics before Biology because everyone was saying Physics is more difficult and that it would be easier to do standard grade then higher. Apparently Biology is meant to be easy :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.