Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bella691)
    Lol arghhh so much hidden cost- emailed glasgow the other day to ask bout fees- because im from Northern Ireland the fees for me are £1820- which I thought "score"- seeing as in Belfast fees are over £3000 and anywhere else in england!! But then I found out the cost of halls- £4000 a year compared to £ 3000- so pretty much the amount I save for in fees is paid back in the cost of living and thats not even including all the flights and ferries back and forth!! But all in the name of Dentistry at Glasgow *fingers crossed for the 20th*

Yeah mumis going crazy atm- she comes home from the weekly shop with 100s of cleaning products and washing stuff etc - says shes starting my uni "things" off for me!! Are you staying in halls? Just the other day caught her flicking through argos- contemplating buying me a mini fridge- but not one of the small ones - 18 flippin litres lol!! But she is all for saving the student loan - says if she finds out I'vbeen spending it on clothes shes gonna kill me- lol but I will find ways!! Like how amazing is the dental school- just at the top of a street of amazing shops- *after interview shopping lol!!*

Yeah books- hopefully well be able to buy second hand ones etc- and then I keep forgetting bout the hep b injection - its gonna cost money as well!

Maybe not so much clothes for me
    I know, even for like having a social life going out costs loads :p: especially up the west end! was your interview the only time you've been to glasgow? yeh so your student loan should cover your fees but your right about the halls! your cheaper renting a flat and thats what really put me off moving to dundee, halls where extorishenit! but i think it will be a great experience for you one of my best friends lives in glasgow and shes moving out to go to glasgow uni. awwh yeh i forgot about all the flights and ferrys, are you planning on going back quite a lot? if i went to dundee i would be back home every weekend probably! haha i get really homesick but you'll love glasgow, it will feel like your second home cause its so friendly. omg do you have an irish accent!? i love irish people! :woo: aw yeh you done a-levels didnt you? i'm sure you'll do great i have my fingers crossed for you.

haha aw thats really cute least it will last you! what halls are you staying in? nah i stay about half an hour outside glasgow but probably like over an hour in traffic! :p: so i'm just staying at home cause my dads moving out to teach in aberdeen so me and my mum need to stick together! we're bloody hopeless!! haha omg i think surely they would provide you with a fridge, unless the last students stole it or something! can you cook? i can't so its best i stay at home unless i want to starve! :eek:

im really not street wise but i do know where all the good shops are! your right! its amazing and next to so many pubs! :p: after my interview i went to pizzahut haha, we deserved a treat!

we need to pay for hep B? my gp says she'll do it for free but i hate getting jags so much so i'll hold off until its really necessary :rolleyes:

we'll find a way! student discount and all :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazoo.C)
    I didn't really like it because every time I had English was always a double period. It was so boring on a Friday afternoon because my teacher made us do two timed essays. :bored:. I reckon it was also the most difficult subject out of all my highers - no wonder the pass mark is so low.

I only did Physics before Biology because everyone was saying Physics is more difficult and that it would be easier to do standard grade then higher. Apparently Biology is meant to be easy :confused:
    i know, english dragged in, i had double chemistry last on a friday and loved it! how sad :o: yeh it is, an A band 1 last year was like 70%. i would say chemistrys harder but i liked it so didn't mind.

yeh i agree its so much easier to crash biology than physics, i really struggled with having no physics knowledge but you could do biolgy with not doing standard grade. it isn't easy :p: i know plently of smart people who failed it this year. its easy if you work hard at it and i'm sure you'll be fine. are you not back at school on monday? gutted :p: at least you get to start your dentistry application! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa.Marie)
    i know, english dragged in, i had double chemistry last on a friday and loved it! how sad :o: yeh it is, an A band 1 last year was like 70%. i would say chemistrys harder but i liked it so didn't mind.

yeh i agree its so much easier to crash biology than physics, i really struggled with having no physics knowledge but you could do biolgy with not doing standard grade. it isn't easy :p: i know plently of smart people who failed it this year. its easy if you work hard at it and i'm sure you'll be fine. are you not back at school on monday? gutted :p: at least you get to start your dentistry application! :woo:
    Yeah I'm going back to school on Monday
    You still have a long time to relax - Uni doesn't start until September.

ReputationRep:
    i was so confused there! like i wrote a reply to yazoo and then noticed you wrote something too and like we says the exact same things! great minds think alike! haha :p: it's nice helping someone isn't it! i was ko about glasgow being the best :p: though technically we are number one this year according to the times but theres nothing really between dental schools.

i loved texual analysis! and it wasnt even in the final exam! i'm sure you'll be more than capable having got AA in advanced highers! :p: thats like first year dentistry practically!

awwh belfast looks lovely my grannys family are from donnegal. yeh your right aberdeens a really affluent place cause his rents extorshinent! i think hes staying B&B at the start haha! do yous not have granite? i learned that in geography! :p: it must be a bigger school but aberdeens the only place looking for physics teachers, most of his interviews where in aberdeen. if i went to dundee i would take my dog with me! like your right dogs are clever, she knows when the toaster is on she might get a bit of toast! :cool: and comes down the stairs.

cause of the whole arrogance thing, hes hot and he knows it and i think everyone likes a bad boy! omg your so right! every girl thinks they can change him! omg hilary duff is meant to be in season 3 woohoo!
    i think personality is important too, like looks attract you but if yous click with eachother and get on well then thats what makes it last. omg i know! we hardly even talk about glasgow at all! prostitutions been mentioned a lot more! and aberdeen, btw they have a post grad dental school? :eek: i did not know that!

i like posh english accents on hot guys, thats the only time i like it haha i love liverpool accents and like cherly cole so therefore like geordie accents nothing beats an irish! do you like glaswegian accents aye? :rolleyes: when i was on holiday in floroida i got asked where im from :confused: mind you scottish people dont understand me so i dont blame them!

it pisses me off though cause girls love guy dentists cause they have loadsa money, i think guys dont like girls earning more money than them so its good for the guys, bad for the girls :p: not that i want guys after me for my money! haha money fights! lmao everyone always says to me awwh you'll be minted! its a shame its not the now when i'm currently the only person earning a wage in my house right now! :p: haha but even if dentists earned minimum wage i'd still wanna do it, just need to marry rich! :rolleyes: tax is like 50% now! thats awful! maybe for like footballers but doctors and dentists deserve the same taxing system as everyone else.

awwh thats okay then, i thought you meant like proper arrogant but having confidence in your abilities is fine, im on the opposite end of the scale! trying to get the confidence! haha what do you mean sensitive? like dont show your emotions? thats fair enough, i cant help it im such a wuss! :woo:

we do! then we could meet half way and be perfect in those attributes! :p: like just the right amount of confidence.

omg you didnt need to wear uniform! we tbh neither did we until we got a pure strict head who sent me home for wearing a short skirt! :eek: i was a wee rebel with uniform!

thats why dentistry will be amazing, you'll make really good friends in your year cause its close knit instead of meeting everyone in different lectures! i think by the end of 2 weeeks we'll know everyone in our year! bet you we do, yous have 70 and glasgow have 90. im buying a lot more casual clothes, but omg we'll get a wee cute white tunic! :o:

yeh it ws my fault, i was looking for someone to blame but i found it and put it int he bank today, i also tidied my room today so it wont happen again, well until it gets messy again! haha was it from a holiday yeh? thats really good, wee bit of extra cash

its more fun last minute and you get stuff done more quickly, oh you get bedding in tesco, buy everything there, all my room stuff is from next! haha when do you get your keys?

Great minds do think alike, but I do remember the independent ranking dundee number one. Who pays attention to those lists anyway though? It's pretty obvious who number one is... :p: Queen's belfast, duh. Well... they do ask for AAA at AH :o:

I'm sure 1st year will be harder than AH, don't get your hopes up!:p: If it's not then I'll have far too much free time in my hands.

Rent is pretty expensive in aberdeen, but I thought it was the same as glasgow? Edinburgh is highest and dundee is lowest from what I remember. Granite is only abundant around the city centre... most of the houses and building are...normal. But well done for paying attention in class.

Wasn't really too keen on the 2nd season of gossip girl, they lost the 'flair.' Felt like the same story was dragged out too long. Now that they're in uni might be a bit different.

Aberdeen just got that dental school this year. Holds 20 grads I think. Cost around 20 million to build, lol. I think they are expanding it next year maybe, to hold more people.

I was thinking posh english accents on the likes of kate beckinsale and sienna miller. Not "hot guys" Whatever works I guess. Glasgow accents were fine, they weren't as strong as I expected them to be. Easy to understand. Not too keen on the jordie, cheryl cole's hot but the accent's a bit full on. :o:

I'm pretty sure guy dentists aren't really sought after, people see that as a downgrade from doctor; someone who wasn't smart enough to get into med school. :p: I wouldn't be to bothered if my other half earned more, but I guess a lot of guys would. Hiding their insecurity behind 'pride.' Don't think I'd do it for min wage, it's too much effort! But I would do it for less. Like an average wage. Wouldn't be right if you could get more money working in a supermarket rather than a dental surgery.

By not beight sensitive, I mean I don't tip-toe around other people's feelings. I'd rather say what needs to be said than what they want to hear. I'm fairly distant if you don't know me well too. That makes me sound screwed up, lol. Basically I don't open up to everyone. :p:

The no uniform thing worked in our school. No one really wore anything too OTT, and even when they did, no one noticed. Our teachers were quite relaxed too.

Dentistry does seem like a close group; only problem there would be it might be harder to get to know people not in dentistry. I'm going to try to get to know people on a wider range of courses; you never know when you might need an accountant or civil engineer a few years down the line. :p: Don't want 70 dentists trying to change a light bulb when teeth need to be fixed, now do we?

Walking around in a lab coat, face mask and gloves does seem pretty awesome. And walking out of the dental school with that on, then shouting "I lost them!" And finally finding your safetly glasses where you left them... sitting in your hair above your forehead. :rolleyes:

It was holiday money from a while back, forgot we still had some left over. It's good to see your bank balance going up rather than down. I think I might try to stay in the positve by the end of 1st year. After that I'll just live off the NHS bursary. I'll never have to do part time work again! :p:

There are like 3 tescos within a mile of each other in dundee. I'm best to just buy everything there rather than lugging everything by train. First term is going to hurt my bank balance though. :o:
    Technically I 'move in' on the 1st sept. But freshers doesn't start until the 7th, so I'll probably move in mid week or something. No point moving in and just waiting around until freshers!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Dentistry is my main choice, pharmacy probably second. Strathclyde only does Pharmacy - not glasgow. I think I would have a better chance of getting an offer if I had AAAAB in 5th year. I have already done Physics and Chemistry - Got an A in both so biology is the only subject thats missing.

I think it would be best if I applied to Dundee as well but my mum will probably end up making me do pharmacy or something in Glasgow. I will have a look at more courses and will have a look at Optometry
    Best to choose a subject you'll enjoy. You're going to be studying it - not your mother :p:

Dentistry isn't going to be easy to get into with AAABB, I know it's only one grade off, but (last year anyway) a mate of mine didn't get an interview with those grades. Perfect PS and everything; but it's a lazy way of cutting down numbers. It's unfair really, it's not like there is much difference in grades (less than 10%, likely to be much less than that), and it's not like you'd make a better dentist if you had an extra A. :rolleyes:

Pharmacy is a competely different career path, you'd have to be really committed to get through the course. A lot of people go into it because they couldn't get into med/dent and drop out. I don't understand how you'll apply to something in edinburgh but not dundee? If you're worried about going away from home, I think they are roughly the same distance away from glasgow! It's only one hour or so by train, you could easily make it home for the weekends if you wanted.

My best advice for you is to clear your head; work out what you want to do; you'll find that, in most cases (lisa with 2 offers doesn't count in this example! :p:) that the dental/medical school chooses you, not the other way around. If you were really set on dentistry, you might fid that you need to move pretty far to do so (queen mary. kings, cardiff, etc). If you're keen on staying at home (fair enough, it's expensive to move out and rent, you'll miss your friends and family) then glasgow does have a range of degrees you can study.

It doesn't have to be science related, widen your options if you can, glasgow uni has a really good reputation for law and accounts, strathclyde is good for business and engineering, caledonian has optometry. You have a lot of choice. There is also grad med/dent options through biomed if you're still keen of that. You're lucky to life in such a uiversity rich area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    Best to choose a subject you'll enjoy. You're going to be studying it - not your mother :p:

Dentistry isn't going to be easy to get into with AAABB, I know it's only one grade off, but (last year anyway) a mate of mine didn't get an interview with those grades. Perfect PS and everything; but it's a lazy way of cutting down numbers. It's unfair really, it's not like there is much difference in grades (less than 10%, likely to be much less than that), and it's not like you'd make a better dentist if you had an extra A. :rolleyes:

Pharmacy is a competely different career path, you'd have to be really committed to get through the course. A lot of people go into it because they couldn't get into med/dent and drop out. I don't understand how you'll apply to something in edinburgh but not dundee? If you're worried about going away from home, I think they are roughly the same distance away from glasgow! It's only one hour or so by train, you could easily make it home for the weekends if you wanted.

My best advice for you is to clear your head; work out what you want to do; you'll find that, in most cases (lisa with 2 offers doesn't count in this example! :p:) that the dental/medical school chooses you, not the other way around. If you were really set on dentistry, you might fid that you need to move pretty far to do so (queen mary. kings, cardiff, etc). If you're keen on staying at home (fair enough, it's expensive to move out and rent, you'll miss your friends and family) then glasgow does have a range of degrees you can study.

It doesn't have to be science related, widen your options if you can, glasgow uni has a really good reputation for law and accounts, strathclyde is good for business and engineering, caledonian has optometry. You have a lot of choice. There is also grad med/dent options through biomed if you're still keen of that. You're lucky to life in such a uiversity rich area.
    Had a look at the Dundee Uni website and they want AAAAA first sitting- even higher than the requirements for medicine! - I'd have no chance getting into Dundee. Do Edinburgh even do Dentistry because i'm having trouble finding out about it on their website.

The minimum for Dentistry at Glasgow is AABB first sitting - which I have got - and AAAAB by the end of S6 (I have still to do my S6 subjects). Your friend may not have done one of the essential or prefered subjects to get rejected.

Pharmacy seems to be a better degree than Pharmacology - or so people say.

I would want to do law - if English was not a major part of it - I am not to keen on doing something English related as I hated Higher English. (You also need AAAAB for law).

I was recommended to be concentrating on science related degrees because they are my best subjects.

If you don't mind me asking - What grades did you get and which University did you get into?

ReputationRep:
    Had a look at the Dundee Uni website and they want AAAAA first sitting- even higher than the requirements for medicine! - I'd have no chance getting into Dundee. Do Edinburgh even do Dentistry because i'm having trouble finding out about it on their website.

The minimum for Dentistry at Glasgow is AABB first sitting - which I have got - and AAAAB by the end of S6 (I have still to do my S6 subjects). Your friend may not have done one of the essential or prefered subjects to get rejected.

Pharmacy seems to be a better degree than Pharmacology - or so people say.

I would want to do law - if English was not a major part of it - I am not to keen on doing something English related as I hated Higher English. (You also need AAAAB for law).

I was recommended to be concentrating on science related degrees because they are my best subjects.

If you don't mind me asking - What grades did you get and which University did you get into?
    Edinburgh don't do dentistry, the closest ones outside scotland are queens (belfast) and newcastle.

Getting minimum requirements doesn't get you an interview; I'm not trying to put you down or anything - far from it. But you've got to understand that even if you've got exactly what they asked for you might not get in. My mate did 3 sciences, maths & english. It's competitve.

Pharmacy shouldn't really be compared to pharmacology, you do the former to become a pharmacist, the latter is a biomedial science degree.

I don't think law can be compared to anything you do in school from what I hear. And entry requirements do vary; in aberdeen you need ABBBB/AABB, less in dundee and rgu. You might need to research it a bit more.

You should really be making your own choice on what kind of degree you want to do. Just because you did science at school, doesn't mean you're restricted to it!

I got AAAAA in 5th year and AAAB in 6th year (2 AH/2H), got into dundee.

ReputationRep:
    I know, even for like having a social life going out costs loads :p: especially up the west end! was your interview the only time you've been to glasgow? yeh so your student loan should cover your fees but your right about the halls! your cheaper renting a flat and thats what really put me off moving to dundee, halls where extorishenit! but i think it will be a great experience for you one of my best friends lives in glasgow and shes moving out to go to glasgow uni. awwh yeh i forgot about all the flights and ferrys, are you planning on going back quite a lot? if i went to dundee i would be back home every weekend probably! haha i get really homesick but you'll love glasgow, it will feel like your second home cause its so friendly. omg do you have an irish accent!? i love irish people! :woo: aw yeh you done a-levels didnt you? i'm sure you'll do great i have my fingers crossed for you.

haha aw thats really cute least it will last you! what halls are you staying in? nah i stay about half an hour outside glasgow but probably like over an hour in traffic! :p: so i'm just staying at home cause my dads moving out to teach in aberdeen so me and my mum need to stick together! we're bloody hopeless!! haha omg i think surely they would provide you with a fridge, unless the last students stole it or something! can you cook? i can't so its best i stay at home unless i want to starve! :eek:

im really not street wise but i do know where all the good shops are! your right! its amazing and next to so many pubs! :p: after my interview i went to pizzahut haha, we deserved a treat!

we need to pay for hep B? my gp says she'll do it for free but i hate getting jags so much so i'll hold off until its really necessary :rolleyes:

we'll find a way! student discount and all :p:
    I went over to the open day and went on the tour etc- I loved it and then loved it even more when I went over for interview because the girl who took as around the dental school was so funny and just was telling us everything and anything- not only all bout how good the uni was academically but thing like going out to the pub near the dental school after lectures, what happens if u fail exams, all about the Glasgow Dundee Newcastle links and she totally sold it to me- wheras if you go to other dental schools they dont really talk about going out- just more about the university!! Glasgow just seemed as if it was alot more fun and friendly and not only that but one of the best unis as well!

Like pretty much if you fail your exams( which is supposedly really easy to do as Iv been well warned by my dentist lol) they will work with u until u pass because they dont wanna loose ya - but Queens back at home wouldnt be that generous!! Pretty much fail and ur out kinda motto!!

Plan is to go home at half terms and hopefully half way between half terms if u get what I mean - should be round bout every month or so! Its pretty easy to get home by flight - as soon as Im on the plane I'd pretty much be home in an hour and half- 25 min flite- and an hours drive home - pretty handy lol!! Then my sis and boyf will be over sumtimes- my sister will be over more for the shopping !

Irish accent is cute- not so much the Northern Irish one! Scottish accents are amazing- and the slang is sooo funny!! Cant wait to get an accent

Hep B is £50 over here- gonna maybe wait till I get over to Glasgow see if its any cheaper

Currently trying to figure out wat the flip im gonna cook- pasta maybe? lol students staple diet!! Pasta and alcohol

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh don't do dentistry, the closest ones outside scotland are queens (belfast) and newcastle.

Getting minimum requirements doesn't get you an interview; I'm not trying to put you down or anything - far from it. But you've got to understand that even if you've got exactly what they asked for you might not get in. My mate did 3 sciences, maths & english. It's competitve.

Pharmacy shouldn't really be compared to pharmacology, you do the former to become a pharmacist, the latter is a biomedial science degree.

I don't think law can be compared to anything you do in school from what I hear. And entry requirements do vary; in aberdeen you need ABBBB/AABB, less in dundee and rgu. You might need to research it a bit more.

You should really be making your own choice on what kind of degree you want to do. Just because you did science at school, doesn't mean you're restricted to it!

I got AAAAA in 5th year and AAAB in 6th year (2 AH/2H), got into dundee.
    Well done on your results. The minimum for law is AAABB(first sitting) at glasgow plus you have to do the LNAT exam.

I know Dentistry and Medicine are extremely competivive and that the probability I could get an offer is extremely low. I know what you're talking about - someone got rejected with 5 As because they didn't socialise much.

I know I could be appliying to various things but I thought Universities mind if you apply to subjects in more than two faculties - They probably think you have no idea what to do. Plus Sciences are my strength - hence my reason for concentrating on deciding a career in this category.

ReputationRep:
    Did you have to get a Hep B jag so you could handle dental equipment at work experience?

ReputationRep:
    I still havent got my hep B - Glasgow said if I wanted I could wait until I got over there!! I did work experience and it wasnt needed for that!!

ReputationRep:
    is robert gordon a good university overall. opinions? thoughts? honest opinions? has anyone seen it or been to the open day? if anyone could give me any info i would really appreciate this thanks!! x x

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone recieved the letter from Glasgow, it's got all the info about our health screening, a health questionaire and info about freshers. I got mines this morning, theres so much stuff to read through! It answered some of the questions I had been wondering such as the reading list.

Does anyone else have their health screening at around 10.45? I'm actually quite excited about buying the tunic and lab coat hehe. Is everyone buying the freshers pass? My friends who went to freshers last year said you didn't really need one but I'm gonna get one anyway just incase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimee.)
    Has everyone recieved the letter from Glasgow, it's got all the info about our health screening, a health questionaire and info about freshers. I got mines this morning, theres so much stuff to read through! It answered some of the questions I had been wondering such as the reading list.

Does anyone else have their health screening at around 10.45? I'm actually quite excited about buying the tunic and lab coat hehe. Is everyone buying the freshers pass? My friends who went to freshers last year said you didn't really need one but I'm gonna get one anyway just incase.
    yeh i got mine through today except i just done an 11-8 at work so wasnt in the mood for trolling through the thing! its like our next directory the sheer length of it haha i skimmed over it cause i was excited about freshers but theres loads! do we have to send anything back? i will actually read it tomorrow! im so lazy! yeh we need freshers passes, glasgow are stingy cause starthcylde let your pals in but glasgow dont.

mines is at 10.30!!! i may see you cause i hate getting jags and giving blood so i will take a while :p: i heard last year someone didnt get let in cause they missed their medical so im getting there in plenty of time! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amz_1)
    is robert gordon a good university overall. opinions? thoughts? honest opinions? has anyone seen it or been to the open day? if anyone could give me any info i would really appreciate this thanks!! x x
    hey one of my good friends friend is going there in september, shes from glasgow and choose robert gordon so i reckon it must be good if she wants to move away. i heard really good things about it, like they really look after when your there and stuff and the halls are nice does it just do pharmacy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bella691)
    I went over to the open day and went on the tour etc- I loved it and then loved it even more when I went over for interview because the girl who took as around the dental school was so funny and just was telling us everything and anything- not only all bout how good the uni was academically but thing like going out to the pub near the dental school after lectures, what happens if u fail exams, all about the Glasgow Dundee Newcastle links and she totally sold it to me- wheras if you go to other dental schools they dont really talk about going out- just more about the university!! Glasgow just seemed as if it was alot more fun and friendly and not only that but one of the best unis as well!

Like pretty much if you fail your exams( which is supposedly really easy to do as Iv been well warned by my dentist lol) they will work with u until u pass because they dont wanna loose ya - but Queens back at home wouldnt be that generous!! Pretty much fail and ur out kinda motto!!

Plan is to go home at half terms and hopefully half way between half terms if u get what I mean - should be round bout every month or so! Its pretty easy to get home by flight - as soon as Im on the plane I'd pretty much be home in an hour and half- 25 min flite- and an hours drive home - pretty handy lol!! Then my sis and boyf will be over sumtimes- my sister will be over more for the shopping !

Irish accent is cute- not so much the Northern Irish one! Scottish accents are amazing- and the slang is sooo funny!! Cant wait to get an accent

Hep B is £50 over here- gonna maybe wait till I get over to Glasgow see if its any cheaper

Currently trying to figure out wat the flip im gonna cook- pasta maybe? lol students staple diet!! Pasta and alcohol
    hey i just remembered! its A-level results today, how did you get on? hope your coming to glasgow!

yeh like tbh wherever you go to do dentistry will be amazing like teching wise, theres nothing between the schools so fun stuff like pubs and going out is just as important but for me its also about the shops! haha i like glasgows course better, you get to have patients in 2nd year and its one of the only schools you can do that. thats what im looking forward to the most about the course, actually having your own patients, i hope i get nice ones! haha yeh glaswegians and irish are oh so friendly!

did you get an offer from queens cause i take it you applied there too yeh? omg thats actually really good i just dont wanna be in that position of failing exams :p: but its nice to know you'll get help if you do.

your family will be over all the time! they'll miss you but its good you can fly back and forth, i will be going from glasgow to glasgow! :p:

you wont understand me, i had to learn to talk slower for my interview, most of the people i know just pretend they know what im saying haha! irish is quite a slow accent isnt it?

i am not paying for that thing! haha omg we need chickenpox jags too! i have never had that or actually chickenpox :eek:

yeh booze for making the pasta sauce :p: ovo! haha

let me know how you got on, i still have my fingers crossed!!

ReputationRep:
    Did you have to get a Hep B jag so you could handle dental equipment at work experience?
    am i the only person who doesnt want this bloody jag! :p: yeh i wasnt allowed to touch anything cause of hep B, except i made a wee impression which was cool, but the nurse showed me all the equipment and how its cleaned. its up to you whether you want to do stuff on your work experience if they let you.

ReputationRep:
    Great minds do think alike, but I do remember the independent ranking dundee number one. Who pays attention to those lists anyway though? It's pretty obvious who number one is... :p: Queen's belfast, duh. Well... they do ask for AAA at AH :o:

I'm sure 1st year will be harder than AH, don't get your hopes up!:p: If it's not then I'll have far too much free time in my hands.

Rent is pretty expensive in aberdeen, but I thought it was the same as glasgow? Edinburgh is highest and dundee is lowest from what I remember. Granite is only abundant around the city centre... most of the houses and building are...normal. But well done for paying attention in class.

Wasn't really too keen on the 2nd season of gossip girl, they lost the 'flair.' Felt like the same story was dragged out too long. Now that they're in uni might be a bit different.

Aberdeen just got that dental school this year. Holds 20 grads I think. Cost around 20 million to build, lol. I think they are expanding it next year maybe, to hold more people.

I was thinking posh english accents on the likes of kate beckinsale and sienna miller. Not "hot guys" Whatever works I guess. Glasgow accents were fine, they weren't as strong as I expected them to be. Easy to understand. Not too keen on the jordie, cheryl cole's hot but the accent's a bit full on. :o:

I'm pretty sure guy dentists aren't really sought after, people see that as a downgrade from doctor; someone who wasn't smart enough to get into med school. :p: I wouldn't be to bothered if my other half earned more, but I guess a lot of guys would. Hiding their insecurity behind 'pride.' Don't think I'd do it for min wage, it's too much effort! But I would do it for less. Like an average wage. Wouldn't be right if you could get more money working in a supermarket rather than a dental surgery.

By not beight sensitive, I mean I don't tip-toe around other people's feelings. I'd rather say what needs to be said than what they want to hear. I'm fairly distant if you don't know me well too. That makes me sound screwed up, lol. Basically I don't open up to everyone. :p:

The no uniform thing worked in our school. No one really wore anything too OTT, and even when they did, no one noticed. Our teachers were quite relaxed too.

Dentistry does seem like a close group; only problem there would be it might be harder to get to know people not in dentistry. I'm going to try to get to know people on a wider range of courses; you never know when you might need an accountant or civil engineer a few years down the line. :p: Don't want 70 dentists trying to change a light bulb when teeth need to be fixed, now do we?

Walking around in a lab coat, face mask and gloves does seem pretty awesome. And walking out of the dental school with that on, then shouting "I lost them!" And finally finding your safetly glasses where you left them... sitting in your hair above your forehead. :rolleyes:

It was holiday money from a while back, forgot we still had some left over. It's good to see your bank balance going up rather than down. I think I might try to stay in the positve by the end of 1st year. After that I'll just live off the NHS bursary. I'll never have to do part time work again! :p:

There are like 3 tescos within a mile of each other in dundee. I'm best to just buy everything there rather than lugging everything by train. First term is going to hurt my bank balance though. :o:
    Technically I 'move in' on the 1st sept. But freshers doesn't start until the 7th, so I'll probably move in mid week or something. No point moving in and just waiting around until freshers!
    liverpool asked for AAB at advanced higher, why did i even apply there! i was doing one advanced higher! lmao oh i know why i did, i love scouser accents, and hoped i could go down for the weekend arsenal played away at liverpool, i got rejected you could of went to an english uni if you wanted to, most of them are strict with advanced higers but you aced yours!

no dundee was number one last year, we stole your crown :p: haha nah actually its 2 different papers. i'd have to agree with the glasgow one i'm afraid to say :p: what one do you believe? i'd love to go to queens, simply cause its irish, they should be involved in our interdental field day!

i live in a suburb kind of, pure desperate housewives talk haha but not the city so yeh round about the same, i thought edinburgh would be the most expensive. yeh like the one thing i learned from geography, aberdeen has granite, my knowledge before of granite:p: its a good pendulum song! :woo:

yeh i bought volume 2 of season 2 there, cant wait but have you noticed the characters have all like slept with eachother? surely theres more guys and girls in new york! haha bit like hollyoaks. oh apart from aaron, hes a newy but i always wanted chuck and blair to go steady, didnt like nate and blair, nates too innocent for blair! shes deserves a bad boy :p:

20 million for 20 people? like a million per person! nah there needs to be more dental schools, theres always a shortage of dentists and you wonder why when theres 2 dental schools in scotland and like about 13 in the UK? aberdeen should of made it bigger and let undergraduates in too cause glasgow and dundee accept postgraduates.

i love cheryl cole! btw x factors back on saturday! WOOHOO!:woo: do you watch it?

yeh which is funny cause its harder to get into that medicine considering theres so much more compettion for places cause theres less places to do it. we are not downgrade except in the hangover the guy got it ripped out him for being a dentist, have you seen it ? it is so funny, he gets drunk and pulls out his own tooth for a bet! :p: **** that, i am calling myself Dr. whether people think im a real doctor or not! i think being called Dr.'s pure sexy! haha :o: yeh like an average wage, and i hope your right with the guys not bothering about their other halfs wage, i read that yooiur 50% more likely to get divorced if the girl earns more than the guy :eek: who earns more than dentists? surgeons? top lawyers? oh i did win most likely to become a WAG but dentist and a footballer, i really do not see it! haha i dont wanna get divorced! single and no where near married but yeh, i do not wanna get divorced! :confused:

so your saying your honest? thats a great quality to have, but you'd be bad working in retail, if a customers trying on something you tell them what you want to hear! even if your thinking it belongs in a bin you have to lie to get sales! :p: harsh isnt it but sometimes a wee lie is better than the truth. you'd be ewwwwwwwwh! get that off! haha :p:

yeh im going to try and be friends with a wide variety of people too, just dentists would drive you mad! haha omg have you heard that song of the v festival advert, its amazing! i searched the whole internet for it, its called sweet disposition by the temper trap, listen to it its amazing!

yeh thats true, but i like my job, even getting up at half 3 for the sale, id become so lazy if i didnt do it! and everyones really nice that works there and its good for my peoples skills :p:

i do that all the time with like hairbands so yeh the googles will be hapeneing too! do dentists have to wear white? its just i think i suit black better.

omg do you? thats so excting! thats the one thing im missing out on at uni, moving out! i'll make such a crap housewife cause my mum does like evrything for me, she gives me breakfast in bed! omg i am going to uni and my mum still gives me breakfast in bed! i am ridicoulous!! even my dog doesnt have to do that much. you'll have an amazing time! it must be so exciting! its in like 10 days, you should go up and meet your flatmates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimee.)

I got that letter too ! The first paragraph on the cover page is so nice like where it says welcome to BDS or somehting I quite liked reading that wee paragraph lol!! Where does it tell you about the reading list :O?

My health screening is at 9:45 Still have no clue about what they're goign to do to me it it lol!! I'll probably get a Freshers pass too just to be safe !! xxx

ReputationRep:
    hey one of my good friends friend is going there in september, shes from glasgow and choose robert gordon so i reckon it must be good if she wants to move away. i heard really good things about it, like they really look after when your there and stuff and the halls are nice does it just do pharmacy?
    Thanks for the reply, I decided not to put it down in clearing in the end, the Scottish system confuses me abit . I would efffectively be doing an extra year for "no reason" as I can do it in 3 years in England. However for accounting and finance it has highest graduate prospects 97% :O
    it does more courses than just pharmacy, i think it does nutrition etc etc and more social sciences.

good luck to you and your friend

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.