Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you write in your books? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I was thinking, do you ever write notes in your that books you dont use for studying? This can be anything from a few words or annotations, to doing long explanations / extensions of things on the page. When answering, also put down what kinds of books you tend to write in most (if you do), eg : Poetry, Reference books (like Medical books) etc..
    I personally dont, but im just interested!
    Thankyou =)

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I love writing in books, feels naughty.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No, but I do write loads in books I use for studying.

ReputationRep:
    You should see my exercise books.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I usually write one word on each row and then continue each sentence, it results in long poems :P

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    No ... maybe I should though, it would make using them more effective (like books for study purposes). It just seems like you are desecrating the book though; with pencil is a reasonable compromise, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I love writing in them. I'm really interested in linguistics so I underline word choices I find particularly effective a lot of the time, or sometimes do a while discourse analysis as if I was studying the book in English. I also underline words, phrases and sentences I really like, or I just write notes about why I like stuff, or if it's similar to something that happened to me once, I write that memory in the book. I just write whatever I feel like writing. I doodle in a lot of my books, too.

I tend to use pencil, but I like to write in them because it makes them feel like they're more personal to me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but only in pencil.

ReputationRep:
    No never, not even a mark. Though my friends write in their books and it justs pisses the hell outta me.

Nope, I don't write in books because it reduces the price when it comes to selling the book later on :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find phrases, sentences, verses, and so on that they really like and want to make a note of?

I don't mark them in the book but often aim to write them in a journal sometime, but then don't get around to it. Ever. It wouldn't be easy to find in a book anyway, unless you folded the page or something.
    (Not because I'm lazy, but because most people don't read at desks).

It would be a lot easier on an e-reader I presume, like *.pdf files on computers, where you can mark and make comments.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but mostly if I see errors. Needless to say my copies of the Twilight Saga are full of notes. For example, an elipsis has only three full stops and when an object belongs to someone you have an apostrophe before the S (e.g. Katie's book). Other than that, I do sometimes write my interpretations of descriptions and things, it helps me to understand the book more.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't write in books I'm not studying because most of the books I get are from the library.

btw: I had a strange deja vu moment with this thread; I could have sworn I'd seen the responses before.

ReputationRep:
    No but they're full of post-its which mark passages pages and I can write on. I don't know how people can write on books. It's disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Se questo è un uomo)
    Does anyone else find phrases, sentences, verses, and so on that they really like and want to make a note of?

I don't mark them in the book but often aim to write them in a journal sometime, but then don't get around to it. Ever. It wouldn't be easy to find in a book anyway, unless you folded the page or something.
    (Not because I'm lazy, but because most people don't read at desks).

It would be a lot easier on an e-reader I presume, like *.pdf files on computers, where you can mark and make comments.
    Just stick a wad of post-its to the back cover when you start a book and use them. I use these little plasticy things now that are thinner than paper.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really tend to write in books that people have bought me, or my favourite books, but at times, i've highlighted my favourite parts, quotes and things, sometimes I've sketched what I think the characters look like in my mind, and of course, when I give other people books, I write in them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.