Turn on thread page Beta

Cost for an American at UK Uni watch

ReputationRep:
    What school(s) do you guys recommend for someone from the states to study at when it comes to finances? I'm not the most financially secure person but still want to study in the UK, so any suggestions? If the subject helps, it'll probably be medicine, if not, maybe chemistry or engineering. I don't know about the differences between tuition costs but I'm more concerned about living costs than anything.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine will cost more than chem/eng

Stay out of london to keep costs down.

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that all courses would have a standard fee for home, EU, and international students. I wasn't aware that it differed between universities. I think it probably differs between courses though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that all courses would have a standard fee for home, EU, and international students. I wasn't aware that it differed between universities. I think it probably differs between courses though.
    Nope. It does differ between universities.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's generally all pretty similar. Just look at a few unis and you'll see what the prices generally are.

Anything with lab work will cost more though, so if you do medicine or chemistry that will definitely affect you. Maybe engineering too, I don't know.

Living costs... stay the **** away from London!

ReputationRep:
    You enjoy making stuff up?

Courses don't even have a standard fee for home students.

ReputationRep:
    At Newcastle:
    Medical degrees: £13,360, and £24,735 in the clinical years
    Engineering: £13,360
    Arts: £10,215
    Physical and Life sciences: £13,360

It might vary by university, I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic hybrid)
    Anything with lab work will cost more though, so if you do medicine or chemistry that will definitely affect you. Maybe engineering too, I don't know.
    Engineering tends to be the same cost as the other sciences within a uni.

ReputationRep:
    The University of Leicester offers a excellent med degree with excellent prospects. Also foreign strudents get to apply for scholourships and grants so it wont cost you much. leicester is very multi-cultural and has quite a few americans, Nz's, Indians etc. very cheap to live in leicester

food also very cheap bargain bucket from maryland £3.00

Sooo SmellDog go to THE UNIVERSITY OF LEICESTER

ReputationRep:
    Med courses are generally longer than others, so look into that. Also if you're really money-conscious don't come to London: it is an amazing place to live and study, but the costs rack up like no tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You enjoy making stuff up?

Courses don't even have a standard fee for home students.
    That's why I put correct me if I'm wrong :rolleyes: I applied for, and went to uni before the top up fees, when everything was priced similarly, if not the same.

ReputationRep:
    Outside London, I would guess living costs to be somewhere between 7 and 8 thousand pounds, depending on your lifestyle.
    Inside London, I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    That's why I put correct me if I'm wrong :rolleyes: I applied for, and went to uni before the top up fees, when everything was priced similarly, if not the same.
    So did I, and they still are. But its the max they can charge, not the only amount.

ReputationRep:
    dude, stay in america, UK universities may be a lot cheaper, but you get what you pay for I guess. If I could study in the states rather than in the UK, I'd jump to it lol

ReputationRep:
    but if you're dead set, if it helps at all, my living costs for accommodation were £400 a month, I spent about £1000 in my first year on food, books e.t.c. and my tuition fees were about £1500 per year, so for a 3 year cost, I'd estimate around £20,000. (I studied a science course last year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_wakeman)
    dude, stay in america, UK universities may be a lot cheaper, but you get what you pay for I guess. If I could study in the states rather than in the UK, I'd jump to it lol
    Why don't you then?

ReputationRep:
    but if you're dead set, if it helps at all, my living costs for accommodation were £400 a month, I spent about £1000 in my first year on food, books e.t.c. and my tuition fees were about £1500 per year, so for a 3 year cost, I'd estimate around £20,000. (I studied a science course last year)
    The OP is an international student and hence the tuition fees would be more.

ReputationRep:
    The grass is always greener and all the crap. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How on earth can they charge that amount for fees! I feels sorry for anyone that has to pay fees.

Thank god for Holyrood.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/TuitionFee...ionFees200910/

There are prices for Queens in Belfast, I don't know how those compare with other unis but the cost of living over here in Northern Ireland is pretty cheap, probably close to the cheapest in the UK.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.