Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    How on earth can they charge that amount for fees! I feels sorry for anyone that has to pay fees.

Thank god for Holyrood.
    Charge what amount?

Scottish unis don't charge fees to anyone? Thats news!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Charge what amount?

Scottish unis don't charge fees to anyone? Thats news!
    Well like £10k a year, how much profit must the be making on that!

Yes they don't charge Scottish students (they do charge English), and I believe they don't charge EU students. However I think the prices go back to extortianate again for international students.

ReputationRep:
    Well like £10k a year, how much profit must the be making on that!
    They really arn't, it costs quite a bit to deliver a degree.

Do you somehow think that just because you don't pay any fees that the degree doesn't cost 10k or that because english students pay 3k that it doesnt cost 10k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

Do you somehow think that just because you don't pay any fees that the degree doesn't cost 10k or that because english students pay 3k that it doesnt cost 10k?

Not at all, I wasn't linking the cost to how I get them for free at all.

I just think charging 10k is ridiculous profiteering. I obviously could be wrong, I don't know all the costs towards a degree.

ReputationRep:

Yes they don't charge Scottish students (they do charge English), and I believe they don't charge EU students. However I think the prices go back to extortianate again for international students.
    Everyone in Europe studies for free in Scotland except the English... What does that tell us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowplay)
    Everyone in Europe studies for free in Scotland except the English... What does that tell us?
    That the Scottish enjoy biting the hand that feeds them

ReputationRep:
    Quady, have you seen the fees americans have to pay to go to college? I'd have to take out a mortgage lol

ReputationRep:
    The North is generally cheaper than the South but fees differ from university to university...come to Manchester heheh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_wakeman)
    dude, stay in america
    So why recommend it to someone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    The University of Leicester offers a excellent med degree with excellent prospects. Also foreign strudents get to apply for scholourships and grants so it wont cost you much. leicester is very multi-cultural and has quite a few americans, Nz's, Indians etc. very cheap to live in leicester

food also very cheap bargain bucket from maryland £3.00

Sooo SmellDog go to THE UNIVERSITY OF LEICESTER
    Dodgy info
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm American. The cost for a three-year degree at a UK university, for me, was about £54,000. Medicine will be way more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calvinuk)
    That the Scottish enjoy biting the hand that feeds them
    Not really, it's how the Government up here has decided to spend it's budget and it's not just the English that are excluded, it's the entire rest of the UK. Only EU students applying for their first degree are eligible for SAAS funding for the course and it works vice versa in a lot of countries. Ireland for example classify Scotland as an EU country and therefore a first degree is fully funded by the Irish government for Scottish and other EU states.

I think it is the way forward that students in applying countries have that freedom of choice and I fully support it.

To the OP, for Aberdeen (as an example) you will be paying £11,500 per academic year during the pre-clinical years of medicine and £22,500 per year during clinical years excluding living costs throughout. A bit of advice though, if you plan on going back to the states you might want to look at Irish medical schools as I understand you have a better chance of getting a job in the states as a doctor by studying there (but it's more expensive).

Btw if people think that £11,500 going upto £22,500 per year is a lot then you should remember that it costs a hell of a lot more to actually train medics and chemists than the tuition fees, relatively speaking it is a bargain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_wakeman)
    dude, stay in america, UK universities may be a lot cheaper, but you get what you pay for I guess. If I could study in the states rather than in the UK, I'd jump to it lol
    UK universities are not "a lot cheaper" unless you are paying for a private university in the US. UK fees for overseas students are roughly equivalent to US out of state tuition fees at a state university at the more expensive end, for example, UVA. This statement applies to arts and humanities and social sciences courses. Sciences and engineering courses cost at least an additional 3,000 GBP per year in fees, and medicine costs up to an additional 5,000 GBP per year in fees.
    If you are lucky enough to be paying home fees, you really shouldn't complain because you are getting a real deal at the expense of the UK taxpayer. In fact, your post is shallow as well as ill informed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anick14)
    What school(s) do you guys recommend for someone from the states to study at when it comes to finances? I'm not the most financially secure person but still want to study in the UK, so any suggestions? If the subject helps, it'll probably be medicine, if not, maybe chemistry or engineering. I don't know about the differences between tuition costs but I'm more concerned about living costs than anything.
    If you really want to do your degree in the UK as opposed to the US, there are some things you should consider. Regardless of your nationality, (I'm a dual UK/US national doing my degree in the UK and paying overseas fees) unless you have been living in the UK with no conditions attached to your right to remain in the UK ("ordinary residence") for 3 continuous years dating from the 1 September immediately prior to the start of your course, you will have to pay overseas fees. They are a lot, but not as much overall as 7 or 8 years in pre med and in medical school in the US would cost you. The UK medical degree is hard work, as it needs to be, and it's also condensed. It's like a US 7 year BSc/MD program only more so- it's 5 or 6 years. There are variations on the program but basically for the first 2 years you study science and medicine as a regular undergraduate, with long vacations. Then some uni programs offer you another year (an intercalated year) in which you study for a BSc. Next you do clinical training as part of your med school program. This is kind of like working, in that you are a student most of the year, with only minimal vacations- about 4-6 weeks all year. With this structure, most of a whole year of study is made up- you are in school year round rather than having a total of 9-11 months vacation over the three years you would otherwise have in the US while in medical school. So it's difficult, but kind of cool in a very hands on way. I'm an arts and humanities student myself, so apologies to med school students if I'm getting this wrong.
    It will cost a lot- look on web pages for exact amounts- the suffix is ....ac.uk, and look on the registry pages in the first instance. Science and engineering will be less expensive than medicine but more than arts and humanities. There are many good 4 year MSc and MEng programs- again, expensive, but condensed compared to the US, so not bad value. Finally, unfortunately, for overseas fee paying undergraduates, there is very very little financial aid. Look on web pages...also go to http://www.ucas.ac.uk for application info. Good luck and feel free to pm me.

ReputationRep:
    There is a fixed number of places that the government allows universities to give to international students on veterinary, dentistry and medicine programmes. This makes medicine even more competitive for an international student than it is for an EU one. I know that this isn't related to your cost queries, but it's something that you'll need to consider nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    i thought studying medicine was paid for by the nhs...i know it isnt for foreigners though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

That's pretty accurate Quady, because I think that those paying overseas fees are, in principle, paying the actual cost of the course. Universities are hurting right now and will be more so in the immediate future, not least because the government imposed a freeze on uni places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dismal_laundry)
    Dodgy info
    no its not its all true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dismal_laundry)
    That's pretty accurate Quady, because I think that those paying overseas fees are, in principle, paying the actual cost of the course. Universities are hurting right now and will be more so in the immediate future, not least because the government imposed a freeze on uni places.
    I'm not so sure, I have read before that it costs in the region of £250,000 to get a med student to FY1. £10,000-20,000 a year wouldn't come close to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    Also foreign strudents get to apply for scholourships and grants so it wont cost you much.
    Can you please specify which scholarships and grants these are? Are they for undergraduate foreign students in the overseas fees paying category, like the OP? Beam me up. It wont cost much? Do tell.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.