Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    I'm not so sure, I have read before that it costs in the region of £250,000 to get a med student to FY1. £10,000-20,000 a year wouldn't come close to that.
    You are right- I should have qualified that by saying that I've heard that about my own arts and humanities course.

ReputationRep:
    hi its a t5654 immigration loan for £3437.00 (max) for living and a company owned by renault pay for fees

ReputationRep:
    A loan is not a scholarship or a grant- it has to be repaid. I've never heard of an immigration loan for overseas students. A company owned by Renault pay for which fees, for which course? How many of these are available to overseas fee paying undergraduates? Please send me the URL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that all courses would have a standard fee for home, EU, and international students. I wasn't aware that it differed between universities. I think it probably differs between courses though.
    EEA (which is EU+switzerland and a few other countries) and local students have standard fees (of about $6000) for undergraduate only. there are no other standars.

if your from the US and your on a budget then you came to the wrong country. its more expensive to study in the uk as an international student than US as an nternational student. as an estimat your looking at least $40000/year (toatal cost).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ito725)
    its more expensive to study in the uk as an international student than US as an nternational student.
    Not necessarily- Undergraduate costs in the US for international students depend on various factors such as the type of university you are studying at. Also, international students at US universities generally aren't eligible for financial aid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    Not at all, I wasn't linking the cost to how I get them for free at all.

I just think charging 10k is ridiculous profiteering. I obviously could be wrong, I don't know all the costs towards a degree.
    It costs £250,000 to send someone through medical school - so some serious government subsidy! Well for Medicine at least, I know ither courses are also heavily subsidised by the government. If it is 'profiteering' what are they gunna do with the money? Make the uni better? Employ more experienced lecturers?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=dismal_laundry]UK universities are not "a lot cheaper" unless you are paying for a private university in the US. UK fees for overseas students are roughly equivalent to US out of state tuition fees at a state university at the more expensive end, for example, UVA. This statement applies to arts and humanities and social sciences courses. Sciences and engineering courses cost at least an additional 3,000 GBP per year in fees, and medicine costs up to an additional 5,000 GBP per year in fees.
    If you are lucky enough to be paying home fees, you really shouldn't complain because you are getting a real deal at the expense of the UK taxpayer. In fact, your post is shallow as well as ill informed.[/I wasn't being shallow, if you compare fees with a lower league college in the states, I guess it's about the same, but getting into a good uni which you could compare to Cambridge or Bath in the UK, I guess what they call Ivy League Universities, it does cost a hell of a lot more. But it reflects in the university. For example, there's just no comparison if you're comparing Cambridge and Harvard for instance, Harvard trumps cambidge, it's so much bigger, beautiful and amazing in comparison. That's what I meant.]

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I didn't mean to quote then, I was trying to direct the reply to dismal_laundry.

ReputationRep:
    Whoever negged me needs to get a grip - and have the balls to leave a name! I didn't say what I said was fact, I clearly put 'I thought', and 'correct me if I'm wrong' to indicate I wasn't 100% certain that what I said was fact. Absolute tosser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    The University of Leicester offers a excellent med degree with excellent prospects. Also foreign strudents get to apply for scholourships and grants so it wont cost you much. leicester is very multi-cultural and has quite a few americans, Nz's, Indians etc. very cheap to live in leicester

food also very cheap bargain bucket from maryland £3.00

Sooo SmellDog go to THE UNIVERSITY OF LEICESTER
    Maryland :P yummmyyyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    Whoever negged me needs to get a grip - and have the balls to leave a name! I didn't say what I said was fact, I clearly put 'I thought', and 'correct me if I'm wrong' to indicate I wasn't 100% certain that what I said was fact. Absolute tosser.
    Wasn't me Kitten

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.