Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

turning 19 and having a quarter life crisis watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_wakeman)
    Is anyone else turning 19 and thinking: this should be the best time of my life, so why is it still not happening? Basically, I'm turning 19, changing my degree, don't have any real friends, never been in a relationship, and don't know where I'm going wrong. Wondering if anyone else is the same.
    I had one of those!

There's too much hype about "what" you're supposed to experience before you're 20, which isn't really fair - some people haven't developed socially or haven't had the opportunity to do what I imagine you think you should have done by now.

What people say as "The Best Time of Their Life" is usually upon reflection to how they are in their current situation, more often than not in a 9-5job with loads of debt.

Just let everything happen and don't rush to do loads of immature stuff "because you have to" - if you don't have the urge to do it, then don't - because you might not enjoy it!

I'm half feeling like you OP. I'm 19 soonish too :p:

• Feeling like I'm being left behind as I watch my friends and boyfriend going off to uni and college next year (I know I'm not going this year, please don't say otherwise)
    • All I'm doing at the moment is working and seeing my other half, don't get me wrong I love the latter, but its all getting really 'samey' now
    • Because of the above, I feel like I'm losing my friends, and I really miss them
    • I still don't know what I'm going to do about studying and retakes next year

However, you need to see all your problems and worries as an oppotunity to change. You might make new friends on a new course, find a girl you really like and have fun.

Remember, you still have your life ahead of you, theres still time

ReputationRep:
    lol sounds like youve been brainwashed by skins or something.

live your life to make yourself happy, not what other people say should make you happy.

ReputationRep:
    oh and im 20 in dec, still got another year of a levels to go, most people i knew are in uni,ones working as a bin man.

just stop feeling sorry for yourself for ***** sake my dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Sometimes I feel like it. I get obsessed with travelling the world and finding new places where I'd be really accepted. I want to make more friends and just have a good time, but I let my social anxieties get in the way. It's not a financial issue for me, just an issue of willpower.

Have you described me?
    I'm so tired of this, because many people want to be my friends and I just can't deal with them all. I really need lots of time for myself and my relationships don't last because of this and I'm really obsessed with travelling and finding someone who would understand me.

And I'm 19, going on 20 too. I guess this is really a quarter life crysis. I'm starting to deal with it now... I've taken up piano again and drawing and I'm feeling a little bit better.

ReputationRep:
    i'm having a teen-life crisis also
    my life is so uneventful :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    I think because I'm inbetween lives at the moment: finished a crappy year at university and trying to find something much better, I'm just looking back and wishing things were better, forgetting that things might be so much better when I start my new course. I'm guessing it's similar for others of you who are going through the same sort of thing. It still doesn't help you feel any better about things right now though. Does anyone watch those teen movies and teen dramas, where everyone's good looking, and have really cool lives, and wish your life's like that? It sounds dumb, but it's true. There must be people with perfect friends and great lives like that in the real world. How the hell do you find it though? I don't know about other people on here, but I live in a village in the middle of no-where, don't know anyone from my school anymore, (and don't want to) but can't find anything to do where I'm actually likely to meet people who I'm likely to make great mates with.

ReputationRep:
    it's lonely and frustrating at the same time

ReputationRep:
    I think because I'm inbetween lives at the moment: finished a crappy year at university and trying to find something much better, I'm just looking back and wishing things were better, forgetting that things might be so much better when I start my new course. I'm guessing it's similar for others of you who are going through the same sort of thing. It still doesn't help you feel any better about things right now though. Does anyone watch those teen movies and teen dramas, where everyone's good looking, and have really cool lives, and wish your life's like that? It sounds dumb, but it's true. There must be people with perfect friends and great lives like that in the real world. How the hell do you find it though? I don't know about other people on here, but I live in a village in the middle of no-where, don't know anyone from my school anymore, (and don't want to) but can't find anything to do where I'm actually likely to meet people who I'm likely to make great mates with.
    Thats why i stopped watching skins:yes:

I feel more of a failure because i live in london , went to a ginormous college and still have no life.
    i just feel like i'm being left behind and going to regret this when im 40 or something

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    this'll probably also sound dumb, but I might aswell carry on being blunt about why things are the way they are: my course last year was environmental science. The friends I did make, I couldn't stand, because they were so nerdy and couldn't do anything spontaneous. I'm being serious here: to arrange a fun trip to the beach, it took weeks of facebooking and they all kept changing the times and crap, and it never actually happened in the end. I'm now applying for architecture, and really just pray that I'll meet some people who are going to be fun to be around.
    Please someone say it's not just me with these dumb problems

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, better to get it over and done with, I say. The sooner the better :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel a failure, bigger places are probably even more daunting places to meet people. I guess what you can say, is that the experience of living in london and going to a huge college must be better than what I've had to put up with. It must have been more invigorating. I went to a small technical college in a one-horse town and I really wish I was at school somewhere better

ReputationRep:
    (sorry, that was intended for you, Deyn_08)
    I'm new to the student room, haven't figured out how to direct replies to certain people yet

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else turning 19 and thinking: this should be the best time of my life, so why is it still not happening? Basically, I'm turning 19, changing my degree, don't have any real friends, never been in a relationship, and don't know where I'm going wrong. Wondering if anyone else is the same.
    Put it this way... I'm 23 now. The history of heart disease in my family is such that i'll be lucky if i'm not brown bread by the time i'm 50.

My current project is trying to put a 3.5 litre V8 into my 31 year old sports car. I'm already having my mid life crisis!!!

Live life for today, mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    I feel more of a failure because i live in london ,..
    oh my gawd, I can't believe it- if I lived in London.. oh my T_T

but that's interesting; it's always hard to appreciate what you have.
    (same here)

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel a failure, bigger places are probably even more daunting places to meet people. I guess what you can say, is that the experience of living in london and going to a huge college must be better than what I've had to put up with. It must have been more invigorating. I went to a small technical college in a one-horse town and I really wish I was at school somewhere better

I am a failure. I just hope i get good AS results.
    i've lived in london my whole life and i'm like this...will stop moaning now.
    I gues it was good at the start, but i just got the whole vibe that no one really cared about me anyway. I never got invites to anywhere.

Sometimes smaller is better, its better when its diverse though.

Move maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindath)
    oh my gawd, I can't believe it- if I lived in London.. oh my T_T

but that's interesting; it's always hard to appreciate what you have.
    (same here)
    London is overhyped. in reality its a dump.
    really. a distinct lack of care.

ReputationRep:
    If you think your life is so bad then make it better. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steelmole)
    If you think your life is so bad then make it better. Simple.
    it's just not that simple. People say to just go out and do things, make friends. It just doesn't seem that simple to me. I haven't physically left me house this week. I can't drive (just applying for my provisional license), but even if I could, this might sound like a dumb question, but where do you go? Where do people meet people? You can't just go for a trip out somewhere and come back with a new life, maybe a new shirt lol.

ReputationRep:
    it's just not that simple. People say to just go out and do things, make friends. It just doesn't seem that simple to me. I haven't physically left me house this week. I can't drive (just applying for my provisional license), but even if I could, this might sound like a dumb question, but where do you go? Where do people meet people? You can't just go for a trip out somewhere and come back with a new life, maybe a new shirt lol.
    it's like a feeling of being stuck in a feedback loop: because you don't know anyone, you don't go out, and because you don't go out, you don't meet anyone. So, I occupy my life with projects I can do on my own, which has made me realise how bored I actually am with life at the moment.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.