Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

turning 19 and having a quarter life crisis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    London is overhyped. in reality its a dump.
    really. a distinct lack of care.
    that is a good point, I guess you don't appreciate the things you do have, either because you've got used to them, or you see things in other people's lives which you wish you had instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_wakeman)
    Is anyone else turning 19 and thinking: this should be the best time of my life, so why is it still not happening? Basically, I'm turning 19, changing my degree, don't have any real friends, never been in a relationship, and don't know where I'm going wrong. Wondering if anyone else is the same.

Just turning 18, and things are slow, too. I think "teenager--this should be the best time of my life" but i just don't feel it.
    I think that you just need to be generally optimistic, hang around the uni for freshers week and see if you can meet anyone new there?
    Always look on the bright side of life :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowplay)
    Have you described me?
    I'm so tired of this, because many people want to be my friends and I just can't deal with them all. I really need lots of time for myself and my relationships don't last because of this and I'm really obsessed with travelling and finding someone who would understand me.

And I'm 19, going on 20 too. I guess this is really a quarter life crysis. I'm starting to deal with it now... I've taken up piano again and drawing and I'm feeling a little bit better.
    I haven't met anyone that I've felt I can be intimate with or talk to like a significant other. I've almost dreamt of going somewhere else and being some person's knight in shining armour.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone watch those teen movies and teen dramas, where everyone's good looking, and have really cool lives, and wish your life's like that? It sounds dumb, but it's true. There must be people with perfect friends and great lives like that in the real world. How the hell do you find it though? I don't know about other people on here, but I live in a village in the middle of no-where, don't know anyone from my school anymore, (and don't want to) but can't find anything to do where I'm actually likely to meet people who I'm likely to make great mates with.
    Yep, I do sometimes wonder if these teen movies are little glossed over but I am sure many of us look at pictures of friends and other 18-30 y/o people on facebook or even webshots living normal party lives and you just cannot help but live vicariously through them. I too am sometimes wondering how to find it and maintain it. I too live in a small town/village and don't know anyone from school any more. I may have loads of them on my facebook friends list but I have zilch to say. They all seem to be livin it up in the city as pseudo-yuppies. And I can't find mates of my own accord out here because if I go out on my own, people will think ".....but he seems a bit of a loner".

One of the many characteristics of the QLC, amigo. You can PM me if you feel like a chat about this.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else turning 19 and thinking: this should be the best time of my life, so why is it still not happening? Basically, I'm turning 19, changing my degree, don't have any real friends, never been in a relationship, and don't know where I'm going wrong. Wondering if anyone else is the same.
    Gosh that sounds completely like me. Wow. Im 20 and soon to be 21 and I didnt pass my first year. Im so lost about what to do, I hate the course but Im not sure if I should study what I want to because this course has more prospects. It was very hard for me being away because I didnt have much support and no friends at home or there and no boyfriend. I just feel awful all the time and I dont have a job, didnt go to a top uni. And we're all supposed to feel good because we're young but with what prospects, debt. Anyway Im sure things all pick up for you, itst not hard to find girls and you can start a new with better focus with another course. all the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticalNonsense)
    Gosh that sounds completely like me. Wow. Im 20 and soon to be 21 and I didnt pass my first year. Im so lost about what to do, I hate the course but Im not sure if I should study what I want to because this course has more prospects. It was very hard for me being away because I didnt have much support and no friends at home or there and no boyfriend. I just feel awful all the time and I dont have a job, didnt go to a top uni. And we're all supposed to feel good because we're young but with what prospects, debt. Anyway Im sure things all pick up for you, itst not hard to find girls and you can start a new with better focus with another course. all the best
    I nearly did not pass my first year and I had a lot of apathy because I messed up my A-levels and thus could not do my course at any of the top unis I aimed for and was stuck in a half-hearted department where nearly everyone dropped out each week but decided to plough on because my grades were not impressive enough to transfer somewhere else and there was the prospect of a year abroad and I did not want to carry the stigma of being a university drop-out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    London is overhyped. in reality its a dump.
    really. a distinct lack of care.
    Yeah I know, so many ppl have told me, but when I visit London I just feel home

ReputationRep:
    it's just not that simple. People say to just go out and do things, make friends. It just doesn't seem that simple to me. I haven't physically left me house this week. I can't drive (just applying for my provisional license), but even if I could, this might sound like a dumb question, but where do you go? Where do people meet people? You can't just go for a trip out somewhere and come back with a new life, maybe a new shirt lol.
    You can make arrangements with people you know. Friends of friends are a goldmine. You can go to many many public places. You can talk to people anywhere, though usually it seems to work best if you come together for a specific reason. There are lots of things to do, but it takes effort.

ReputationRep:
    We should all get together and do something really wicked, Skins-like :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.