Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving into Sixth Form in September and eagerly awaiting my results on the 27th. But I've got a bit of a conundrum. During the exam season I didn't do great in Science subjects. Physics is okay as I did that back in January and got an A (Just made the mark), however the Biology and Chemistry exams didn't go well at all IMO. Shame, as I got an A in the first module for both back in Year 10.

The problem lies in the fact I was planning on doing Chemistry next year, but I don't want to be if i get a bad grade this year. My current subject choices are:

History, English Lit & Lang, Chemistry and Performance Studies.

I'm hoping to go to Warwick to do History for my degree so I wouldn't want to take up a 'micky mouse' subject that could jeopardize my chances - so what could I replace the Chemistry with?

I was thinking R.S. (It's really Philosophy and Ethics under the guise of R.S. at my school) but I'm unsure whether this will be respected enough. It could be useful in the future however as I would like to be a history teacher at secondary school and the ability to teach R.S. also would be handy for employability.

So, let me know what you think about R.S. or anything else I could replace Chemistry with, please. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    What's performance studies?

Drama (worthless subject) well thats what my school called it. Take physics if you said you got an A in it then drop it after year 12.

ReputationRep:
    You are already taking a 'micky mouse subject' so why not add another?

How about economics?

ReputationRep:
    Instead of performance studies, why not replace that with Physics ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would not normally have ago at people for less academic subjects, but you've said you don't want to take a "mickey mouse" subject so I will warn you that Performance Studies is going to set the mickey mouse alarm off like that woo-wooOO-woo noise they play on QI.

To maximise your academic whizziness, I would switch Lang&Lit for pure Lit, switch Performance Studies for anything (maths? another humanity? politics?) and if you need to switch Chemistry if you don't do well in it, pick something else like Maths or Physics (Biology maybe?).

ReputationRep:
    Performance Studies isn't drama, but rather Music, Drama and Dance and a more academic study of the performing arts. Though I understand that it is a bit of a 'micky mouse' subject in itself, I really do want to do it, so not picking another 'micky mouse' subject is really damage limitation. I'm looking to drop it in Year 13 anyway, so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.

(Original post by Melz0r)
    To maximise your academic whizziness, I would switch Lang&Lit for pure Lit, switch Performance Studies for anything (maths? another humanity? politics?) and if you need to switch Chemistry if you don't do well in it, pick something else like Maths or Physics (Biology maybe?).
    Unfortunately my school doesn't offer a pure Lit route, so Lit and Lang is the best I can do there. Maths is a big no no for me as I really struggle (I'll be lucky with a B) however Physics or Biology are possible options (if I don't fail the Biology too). Would these be more respected than a R.S. (Philosophy and Ethics) A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDamnation)
    Would these be more respected than a R.S. (Philosophy and Ethics) A-Level.
    Yes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Performance Studies isn't drama, but rather Music, Drama and Dance and a more academic study of the performing arts. Though I understand that it is a bit of a 'micky mouse' subject in itself, I really do want to do it, so not picking another 'micky mouse' subject is really damage limitation. I'm looking to drop it in Year 13 anyway, so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.

Unfortunately my school doesn't offer a pure Lit route, so Lit and Lang is the best I can do there. Maths is a big no no for me as I really struggle (I'll be lucky with a B) however Physics or Biology are possible options (if I don't fail the Biology too). Would these be more respected than a R.S. (Philosophy and Ethics) A-Level.
    Well you've already got 2 essay subjects with the English and the History, so Physics or Biology wouldn't do you any harm and would show breadth of ability - maybe go for one of those. They're pure academic subjects which would balance your Performance Studies a bit (I totally understand that you want to do it because you enjoy it, good for you )

(Original post by Quady)
    You are already taking a 'micky mouse subject' so why not add another?

How about economics?
    Economics isn't a 'Mickey Mouse subject' :confused:

You could do Economics, I think that it's a respectable subject. I've been told that Physics is a very respected strong subject, I'm not sure how well the Philosophy and Ethics A Level is considered, maybe someone else will know

ReputationRep:
    These are the general A level subject recommendations from Cambridge - realise you're not intending to apply there but they might give you an idea of so called 'respected' subjects. I reckon stick within the first 2 lists, or a history/essay based one from the limited list, and pick what you think you'll get As in. As long as you get an A in history and do well in your other two, you should be sorted whatever you pick

I study at Warwick btw, good choice, hope you make it!
    (Sorry it's such a long list )

LIST A1
    Generally Suitable Science A-levels
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Mathematics
    Further Mathematics
    Physics

LIST A2
    Generally Suitable Arts A-levels
    Art History
    Chinese
    Classical Civilisation
    Economics
    English Literature
    French
    Geography
    German
    Greek
    History
    Irish
    Italian
    Japanese
    Latin
    Music
    Philosophy
    Religious Studies
    Russian
    Spanish
    Welsh

LIST B
    Limited Suitability
    Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
    Art & Design (Architecture/History of Art)
    Business Studies (Economics)
    Design & Technology (Architecture)
    Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
    Electronics (Engineering)
    English Language (Arts)
    Film Studies (Arts)
    Government & Politics (Arts)
    Law (Law)
    Media Studies (Arts)
    Psychology (Arts)
    Sociology (Arts)

LIST C
    Unsuitable A-levels
    Accounting
    Citizenship
    Communication Studies
    Critical Thinking
    Dance
    General Studies
    Health & Social Care
    Home Economics
    ICT
    Leisure Studies
    Music Technology
    Performance Studies
    Performing Arts
    Photography
    Physical Education
    Sports Studies
    Travel & Tourism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesca_20)
    These are the general A level subject recommendations from Cambridge - realise you're not intending to apply there but they might give you an idea of so called 'respected' subjects. I reckon stick within the first 2 lists, or a history/essay based one from the limited list, and pick what you think you'll get As in. As long as you get an A in history and do well in your other two, you should be sorted whatever you pick

I study at Warwick btw, good choice, hope you make it!
    (Sorry it's such a long list )
    Wow, thanks for list and the encouragement. This list has kind of helped me, even though Performance Studies is listed as unsuitable, let's hope Warwick is a bit more comfortable with it.

(Original post by thetopnotch)
    You could do Economics, I think that it's a respectable subject. I've been told that Physics is a very respected strong subject, I'm not sure how well the Philosophy and Ethics A Level is considered, maybe someone else will know
    The problem with Economics is that I haven't got much interest in it. The Physics is an option, but I found it quite boring at GCSE, so not sure it's any better at A-Level. Anyone have any experience here?

Well you've already got 2 essay subjects with the English and the History, so Physics or Biology wouldn't do you any harm and would show breadth of ability - maybe go for one of those. They're pure academic subjects which would balance your Performance Studies a bit (I totally understand that you want to do it because you enjoy it, good for you )
    Thanks, Melz0r, I agree. I think judging from Francesca's list, having a Science to balance out my Arts subjects would, as you said, show breadth of ability. I'm left therefore with Physics or Biology. I enjoyed Biology more at GCSE, but have heard it's boring at A-Level (memorizing structure of Amylase and other complex carbon based structures :confused: ). I might need to disregard the opinion of others however and see how it is for myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you're aware that at Warwick, the history degree has a compulsory language component, so perhaps a language would be most useful as a replacement for chem.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really enjoy languages that much, though I am okay at it. I'm either going to get a C or a B in my French GCSE (hoping it's the latter). I don't think I would enjoy it if I did it for A-Level.

I know... it's sounds like I'm very picky about what subjects I enjoy :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    Economics isn't a 'Mickey Mouse subject' :confused:
    Why not add another was referring to RS.

Economics was a good subject to compliment History.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't really enjoy languages that much, though I am okay at it. I'm either going to get a C or a B in my French GCSE (hoping it's the latter). I don't think I would enjoy it if I did it for A-Level.

I know... it's sounds like I'm very picky about what subjects I enjoy :P
    I love languages but don't do French if you're heading for a C/B - you will find it very difficult and a major drain. I think the case is looking good for Bio/Phys.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by francesca_20)
    Have they updated this then? Last time I looked there was just a list of dodgy ones, none of this ABC lark.

ReputationRep:
    Have they updated this then? Last time I looked there was just a list of dodgy ones, none of this ABC lark.
    Erm... I found a direct source, which is is practically identical to the one I had, and is for a specific college. Still gives an idea of which a levels are considered 'hard and soft' I think. I note "unsuitable" is changed to suitable as fourth subject only which makes a lot more sense!
    https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Cambridge as an entirety, yeah, seems to only tell you which A levels are discouraged.
    This is what it says about A level choices, which may give you some guidance, OP
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ectmatters.pdf

Obv again, it's specific to Cambridge so don't take it too seriously - I really doubt Warwick will be that concerned so long as you have the required grades and an exceptional personal statement I expect you've already read this, but this is what it says on the ucas website about history at Warwick:
    http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...?n=1001406#2-2

ReputationRep:
    That leaflet was especially helpful! So now I'm going to take History, English Lit & Lang, Biology and Performance Studies. Of course this is all subject to the whims of the examination gods and what they decide my fate is on August 27th.

Thank you to everyone who offered their help and advice. It is much appreciated!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.