Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

the MAIN factor in being a well-liked person is NOT being "nice" watch

look at it this way. why is it ******* people can be popular? and not just in youth, but adults too?

why is it somebody can be a nice, decent and kind person and still be commonly disliked? again, not just in youth but adulthood too?

come on, it only boils down to one thing - are you a **** or not? :yes:

is one seen as odd? Can one connect with others? does one have weird interests? these make one friends, not being nice.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    The Krays were popular...doesn't mean anyone liked them but you sure as hell don't let them know you dislike them.

ReputationRep:
    Is posting as Anonymous really necessary?

ReputationRep:
    If you can't beat them, join them!

ReputationRep:
    People love me and my fat-hating ways.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this trend is really weird. And sometimes annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Why so serious? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    It's because they have something else in their character besides 'not being nice'. They may be charming and able to attract people to them. People see their ability to do this and their 'power' and are drawn to them for this reason.

I suppose it's not the main factor because there are so many factors: sense of humour, charisma, degree of extroversion and degree of confidence to name but a few. You can't expect one factor to dominate all the others. That said, sincere niceness is pretty much ubiquitously popular, so it's always a good start.

it has never been that way! it just doesn't bear out empirically.

ReputationRep:
    Because niceness gets boring after a while.
    You feeling a bit left out OP, I think I can smell 'nice guy syndrome'?

ReputationRep:
    I hate the word "nice".

There are many other good qualities in a person apart from "nice":
    - elegant
    - determined
    - courteous
    - straightforward
    - honest
    - courageous

It takes courage to do certain things and I think the word "nice" is an euphemism to such behavior.

If you show courage in doing a good thing (e.g. openly scolding the community prick for doing something bad) then you show power too.

But indeed, I think power is necessary.

And if you can use power to do good things, then it's better.

ReputationRep:
    because most *******s have redeeming qualities.

a person with no redeeming qualities is not human. nobody is 100% bad or good.

i just disagree with the idea that being nice means being more well-liked.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any examples?

ReputationRep:
    If you have no friends, aren't popular its your own fault. I'm nice and I'm both. Just get over it and get on with your life

ReputationRep:
    Well Hitler wasn't massively popular...

ReputationRep:
    Charisma makes up for all sorts of bad personality traits

ReputationRep:
    Well a lot of "nice" people begin to lack a personality, that's not saying that you have to have a "bad lad" rep because those lads are jerks Just got to have a decent personality and treat people with a bit of respect but not be over-courteous because then you'll start to become a bit boring..

ReputationRep:
    If you're good-looking, funny, interesting and clever but not nice, you will probably be popular.

If you're ugly, unfunny, boring and dim but nice, you will probably be unpopular.

Simple.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.