Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

the MAIN factor in being a well-liked person is NOT being "nice" watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't date overly nice people :moon: They're boring.

ReputationRep:
    Life is cruel.

TBH, though, people who are 'popular' don't really have any proper friends. Those who are nice do.

It comes down to whether you'd like to be surrounded by a bunch of acquaintances (who'd probably start gossiping about you the second you're out the room), or surrounded by a few good friends who will always have your back.

I know which one I'd choose.

ReputationRep:
    its because nice people are "ehhh..." people with nuances happen to be liked by a majority

ReputationRep:
    If you can't say anything more about someone other than "they're nice" it generally means that they're boring. Conversely, you'll find absolute pricks who still lacks any character... usually they're going out their way to be antagonistic just because they've got nothing else to say.

ReputationRep:
    Guess this thread justifies, why girls go for bad boys :yep: They have these attractive traits.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know. just one of those things. but niceness can seem boring.

(Original post by Jingers)
    Do you have any examples?
    examples of what?

(Original post by ChaoticMaster)
    If you have no friends, aren't popular its your own fault. I'm nice and I'm both. Just get over it and get on with your life
    well society says people who have friends do so by being nice and i think it's BS. like a lot of things society says.

it's about how people connect, not being nice. What is nice? it's relative. everything is relative.

(Original post by kat2pult)
    Life is cruel.
    says who? i think differently.
    TBH, though, people who are 'popular' don't really have any proper friends. Those who are nice do.

It comes down to whether you'd like to be surrounded by a bunch of acquaintances (who'd probably start gossiping about you the second you're out the room), or surrounded by a few good friends who will always have your back.

I know which one I'd choose.
    hmmm...somebody who cannot differentiate from fact and opinion. l

(Original post by JW92)
    If you're good-looking, funny, interesting and clever but not nice, you will probably be popular.

If you're ugly, unfunny, boring and dim but nice, you will probably be unpopular.

Simple.
    ok. well i guess nobody likes ugly people, so that's all good.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    There must be a LOT of bitter people on TSR, or one person who is vehemently obsessed with posting threads about how being nice didn't get them laid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Disenchanted-x)
    Well Hitler wasn't massively popular...
    :rofl:

OP just got PWNED.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    look at it this way. why is it ******* people can be popular? and not just in youth, but adults too?

why is it somebody can be a nice, decent and kind person and still be commonly disliked? again, not just in youth but adulthood too?

come on, it only boils down to one thing - are you a **** or not? :yes:

is one seen as odd? Can one connect with others? does one have weird interests? these make one friends, not being nice.:yes:
    Honesty and sincerity is a factor that makes people liked. Separate from 'niceness'..also superficial niceness don't mean much often

(Original post by Svenjamin)
    There must be a LOT of bitter people on TSR, or one person who is vehemently obsessed with posting threads about how being nice didn't get them laid.
    my basic point is why does society say one has to be nice to get friends, when most people with friends are not "nice".

(Original post by Chillaxer)
    Honesty and sincerity is a factor that makes people liked. Separate from 'niceness'..also superficial niceness don't mean much often
    no it's not. it's whether people think you're a **** or not.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    my basic point is why does society say one has to be nice to get friends, when most people with friends are not "nice".
    Because people who are not nice are feared and people don't want to go against them they will turn on someone they like who is ostracised more likely because of group dynamics and power. most people are arselickers to power.

ReputationRep:
    no it's not. it's whether people think you're a **** or not.:yes:
    Well, you just asked me why people are nice or not liked. If you are nice people don't think you are a ****. So what's your point?

Because people who are not nice are feared and people don't want to go against them they will turn on someone they like who is ostracised more likely because of group dynamics and power. most people are arselickers to power.
    lol... isn't this just the beliefs of psychologists, or "society"?

people here should admit it. people who are liked are only those who are cool and and connect. Somebody who is weird, or odd, would never be liked.

Well, you just asked me why people are nice or not liked. If you are nice people don't think you are a ****. So what's your point?
    i think **** means somebody who is weird, or odd. normal people are usually popular and liked.

ReputationRep:
    The only people I seem to come across who are described as 'nice' are actually social retards who are usually quite bitter about the fact, but can disguise it quite simply because they're not faced with real social and relationship issues.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.