Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

the MAIN factor in being a well-liked person is NOT being "nice" Watch

ReputationRep:
    I like sincerely kind people. With some people who are overly nice it seems insincere, or that they are trying too hard so can't really have much self-respect... which if you don't have yourself you're not going to get from other people.

ReputationRep:
    You can be nice and have friends.

I know a lot of people who are idiots, and people want the idiot to like them, so they suck up, but dislike them really and wouldn't trust them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Kav-)
    I suppose it's not the main factor because there are so many factors: sense of humour, charisma, degree of extroversion and degree of confidence to name but a few. You can't expect one factor to dominate all the others. That said, sincere niceness is pretty much ubiquitously popular, so it's always a good start.
    I agree

(Original post by Cupcakee)
    You can be nice and have friends.

I know a lot of people who are idiots, and people want the idiot to like them, so they suck up, but dislike them really and wouldn't trust them.
    i doesn't exist. they're inversely correlated. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am nice and have lots of friends ?

Define nice? There are thousands of nice people !?

Nice is subjective and has no meaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keraroboli Roko Rosae)
    I hate the word "nice".

There are many other good qualities in a person apart from "nice":
    - elegant
    - determined
    - courteous
    - straightforward
    - honest
    - courageous

It takes courage to do certain things and I think the word "nice" is an euphemism to such behavior.

If you show courage in doing a good thing (e.g. openly scolding the community prick for doing something bad) then you show power too.

But indeed, I think power is necessary.

And if you can use power to do good things, then it's better.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Because you don't have to be nice to be funny and rich. /thread

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean!

I have had so many "friends" who seem to have people gravitate towards them like flies to **** and they are so self-involved and ignorant of other peoples feelings.

Most of the time it is barable but there have been so many occasions when I just snap and say: "Excuse me but who the hell do you think you're talking to?"

I think it is just a case "flocking" these people have the 'treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen' thing going on. It's just that when you come to realise that you're waiting around for a compliment, suddenly the social circle revolves around the most popular person....

To put it plainly, the most popular people at school were the *****es...who are we to ignore this golden playground rule? We are nerds. :P

Belle x

ReputationRep:
    well society says people who have friends do so by being nice and i think it's BS. like a lot of things society says.

it's about how people connect, not being nice. What is nice? it's relative. everything is relative.
    That's true, i completely misread thread title. Although you could argue that being nice is the key factor but as nice is subjective one persons nice is another persons mean so it doesn't always appear that way.

ReputationRep:
    if you act like you dont like people, or indifferent then they will want to know why/try and get u to like them.

wheras wanting to please/being overly nice/clingy puts people off.

and most people are genuine friends with decent people, if they too are decent people.

how old are u, i think its a bit premature to be making such assumptions

ReputationRep:
    well no there not lol. if youre talking about being so "nice" (probably what really meant was trying too much to be liked) to the point where u/appear to be lacking in self respect then people will be put off.

its like david brent, he wants to be liked, to be loved and that desperation turns people off.

also sometimes ***** take advantage of "nice" people, but that just shows how insecure they are that they need to.

treat people as u want to be treated, not how u think they want to be treated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jataylorlfc)
    if you act like you dont like people, or indifferent then they will want to know why/try and get u to like them.
    Sorry if someone acts like that towards me, i would not want to know why and it would not make me like them any more, more the opposite ! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by repoman)
    Sorry if someone acts like that towards me, i would not want to know why and it would not make me like them any more, more the opposite ! :woo:
    meh, neither would i, most people do.

if the balance is such that theyre more unsure as to wether you like them or not etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.