Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Positronized)
    I looked on the University's website and decided ASAP which College appealed to me most, then emailed the admissions office of that College, detailing my qualification and situation and asked for specific advice.

A particularly sad experience for me was when I emailed Queen's admissions officer who replied to me with a flat out rejection saying that the NZ qualification wouldn't be sufficient for entry -- and didn't reply to any further correspondence from either me or my school. After a few days agonising I decided to try my luck again with Emmanuel (which, funnily enough, was actually my preferred College from start, but I thought they looked too hard to get into, so I chickened out a bit...) whose admissions officer turned out to be really friendly and helpful. At the interview I also had a chance to talk to the maths DoS about the NZ system to clarify things a bit further as well.

My application experience was actually a rather pleasant one and I found it quite comfortable to email the College for clarification on a few issues I had about having non-standard qualification. That said as an international student without A-Levels/IB I would advice you to start asking around ASAP (now's good...)
    I'm glad it worked out for you!

I know this is kind of irrelevant..:

I am applying to Cambridge for the 2010 year..

I possibly missed the grade's in one my A levels due to extenuating circumstances so I was thinking to apply through the special access scheme..

I contacted Sidney Sussex and the admissions tutor was so friendly and helpful about it..! She was very informative about what I had to do and how to fill things in on the additional application forms. Ever since then I was compelled to find out more about the college and am 100% thinking of applying..

I guess when we want something so much we'll do just about anything for it..

ReputationRep:
    The main thing I like about Cambridge is how focused it is in Mathematics. Unlike the American system, you only take Maths throughout college in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    On the other hand, that seems to be exactly why my parents think I should have gone to the US for university instead... but eventually I decided I liked Cambridge better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    On the other hand, that seems to be exactly why my parents think I should have gone to the US for university instead... but eventually I decided I liked Cambridge better.
    Well you do get quite a bit more maths and theoretical physics from Cambridge, but I do miss not being able to take economics/compsci alongside it. Depends on what you like I guess.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.