Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've an insurance of MA Hispanic Studies at Aberdeen and I reckon that I might be using it. I couldn't attend the open day and have assumed that the MA Arts worked the same way as Glasgow. Hoping that someone can help me confirm this. I've read and re-read the prospectus and searched the web site but can't find anything on the structure and options available.

How many subjects can I take in first year?
    eg Spanish 1, Italian 1 and Sociology 1 - timetables permitting

How many subjects in second year ?
    eg Spanish 2, Galician 1 and Sociology 2 - timetables permitting

Can someone give me some info on this? Is there anywhere on the web that the course details are published?

Maybe someone can do something like the "sticky" for Edinburgh Uni - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=892298

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    In first year you need to get 120 credits from any three courses. A Level 1 course will typically deliver 15-20 credits per semester, assessed by the workload that each course requires.
    You will have to do the required subjects for your degree course, and then you can choose whatever you like after that. Having looked at your course, you will have Hispanic Studies courses to do, which includes some cultural classes and Spanish language classes. They'll test you to see if you need to do two Spanish courses or only one.

If you do all your courses (including both Spanish language courses) and pass then you will get 60 credits in total, which is half of what you need. This means you'll need to do some more level 1 courses to get up to 120 credits. This is where your options come in.

I can't see Italian as a language choice at Aberdeen. All I see are French, German and Spanish.

You could do Sociology which would give you 40 credits over the two semesters, leaving you with only 20 credits to make up in either semester. This means you could do two 10 credit courses each semester (although I don't think there are many) or you could do one 20 credit course in 1st semester.

In second year, you need a further 120 credits. Looking at Hispanic Studies you have another 4 courses to complete at 15 credits each, giving you 60 in total over 2 semesters, so again you need another 60 from somewhere else. Your options here are slightly different - you could take some more Level 1 courses, OR you could carry Sociology on to Level 2 (providing you've passed everything etc etc) which would give you 60 credits over 2 semesters.

Hope this helps, although you should probably know that although I'm an Arts student, I've never done any Spanish or Hispanic Studies and I'm only working off the course catalogue for students and my own knowledge and experience. You can find the course catalogue here:
    http://www.abdn.ac.uk/registry/courses/contents.php
    But I wouldn't take every word as gospel.

ReputationRep:
    The course catalogue is a bit of hit and miss because it has categories with no courses (e.g. Italian and Portuguese) and courses that apparently belong to no particular degree (latin personally comes to mind). As far as I know the 'modern languages' at Aberdeen are French, German and Spanish like smelly marmite said but they have Gaelic (Scots I think) also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    The course catalogue is a bit of hit and miss because it has categories with no courses (e.g. Italian and Portuguese) and courses that apparently belong to no particular degree (latin personally comes to mind). As far as I know the 'modern languages' at Aberdeen are French, German and Spanish like smelly marmite said but they have Gaelic (Scots I think) also.
    They used to do Italian and Portugese but as far as I can tell they don't run them any more.

Yes, forgot to say that they do Gaelic as well. And yes, it is Scots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    They used to do Italian and Portugese but as far as I can tell they don't run them any more.

Yes, forgot to say that they do Gaelic as well. And yes, it is Scots.
    I've been looking a bit into this (okay I spent a number of seconds browsing) but a lot of the first year modern language courses are only 15 credits... if you have to make 120 in your first year and lets say you have 80 credits from 4 other courses then surely this is going to leave a void of 10 credits if you take two languages courses. It would seem a bit problematic Unless the course catalogue is wrong about that aswell...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    I've been looking a bit into this (okay I spent a number of seconds browsing) but a lot of the first year modern language courses are only 15 credits... if you have to make 120 in your first year and lets say you have 80 credits from 4 other courses then surely this is going to leave a void of 10 credits if you take two languages courses. It would seem a bit problematic Unless the course catalogue is wrong about that aswell...
    You've confused me.

Do you mean you've (theoretically) earned 80 credits from 2 subjects?

If that's the case then yes, you're left with a shortfall, but you can over-earn on credits, as long as you meet the 120 threshold.

Your advisor of studies will go over all this when you get to uni, and advise you accordingly, you see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    You've confused me.

Do you mean you've (theoretically) earned 80 credits from 2 subjects?

If that's the case then yes, you're left with a shortfall, but you can over-earn on credits, as long as you meet the 120 threshold.

Your advisor of studies will go over all this when you get to uni, and advise you accordingly, you see.
    Okay that makes sense, I just didn't think you were allowed to over earn but it makes sense. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info lads.
    It seems to be pretty much the same as the setup in Glasgow. If you want to continue to honours in a subject(s) you pretty well have to achieve a minimum number of credits (including all compulsory courses) each year and pass it/them at both level 1 and level 2.

smellslikemarmite (do you really?) - I haven't had a look at the contents link you provided but from what I'm reading and assuming that they're available I can take courses worth say 60 credits in Spanish in a year, 45 in Sociology and 15 in A.N. Other. They don't have to be "even". So when trying to plan I need to look at your link - :
    and have some timetable info to see which courses are actually available. I would assume that if a Joint Honours is available, then the subject timetables won't clash. That assumption takes care of 2 subjects. So if the subject A.N. Other is available for joint honours with both of the first 2 subjects, then I can take that as my 3rd subject. It would be much easier if a timetable was published on the Uni website.

Does anyone know if there is timetable info available eg last years

I was also wondering, if I was looking to do a 3rd subject outside of Arts, eg Biology or Physics, would that be possible (timetable permitting) ?

Has anyone had a look at the "sticky" by Oxymoronic in the Edinburgh Uni forum re outside subjects - I'm sure it would be of huge benefit to everyone if something similar was put on the Aberdeen forum. In fact if there was one for every university....... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=892298

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limerick Lass)
    Thanks for the info lads.
    It seems to be pretty much the same as the setup in Glasgow. If you want to continue to honours in a subject(s) you pretty well have to achieve a minimum number of credits (including all compulsory courses) each year and pass it/them at both level 1 and level 2.

smellslikemarmite (do you really?) - I haven't had a look at the contents link you provided but from what I'm reading and assuming that they're available I can take courses worth say 60 credits in Spanish in a year, 45 in Sociology and 15 in A.N. Other. They don't have to be "even". So when trying to plan I need to look at your link - :
    and have some timetable info to see which courses are actually available. I would assume that if a Joint Honours is available, then the subject timetables won't clash. That assumption takes care of 2 subjects. So if the subject A.N. Other is available for joint honours with both of the first 2 subjects, then I can take that as my 3rd subject. It would be much easier if a timetable was published on the Uni website.

Does anyone know if there is timetable info available eg last years

I was also wondering, if I was looking to do a 3rd subject outside of Arts, eg Biology or Physics, would that be possible (timetable permitting) ?

Has anyone had a look at the "sticky" by Oxymoronic in the Edinburgh Uni forum re outside subjects - I'm sure it would be of huge benefit to everyone if something similar was put on the Aberdeen forum. In fact if there was one for every university....... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=892298
    Look, don't bother with all this stuff until you get there. Seriously, it doesn't matter. It's your advisors job to do all of this for you.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, have to disagree with you smellslikemarmite.

It may be the advisors job to do this but I would prefer to know as much as possible before accepting an offer. Given the choice of learning Spanish through 14th century poetry in University A or Latin American prose of the 20th century in University B, I think I would choose the latter. If the optional subjects, which may be up to 2/3 of my course for years 1 and 2, are unappealling to me, then I need to look at other courses.

The last thing I want to do is accept an offer for the wrong course and end up dropping out.

Thanks for your help though, the link to the course details will assist enourmously.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.