Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, who's coming for the International Student Orientation & Welcome on the 16th to 18th?

ReputationRep:
    I am. Just got my place confirmed

ReputationRep:
    I'll be attending!

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not sure whether it'd be a big mistake not to go.

Since I'm from a big city in Europe, I don't think the culture shock is that big. So, attendance might not be "necessary".

On the 17th there is a big concert here, which I'm co-organising, and it would be a real pity to miss it.

At the moment I'm trying to find private accommodation. If I could move in before term starts, I'd stop considering myself an international student. I think then I'd go back to Hamburg for that week and be there in time for Freshers' Week.

I'm having to miss this, too, kin-jeh. There is another presentation on the 22nd for those of us who miss the main orientation, if you are interested.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be there

ReputationRep:
    Hurray to those attending. I'm just wondering whether those few extra nights for accommodation would put a dent to my pocket...

ReputationRep:
    i went 2 years ago and it was SO ****!!!

Absolutely USELESS! if you are European, you don't need to attend because you won't be "shocked" by london.

The orientatation consists of several lectures where some people give you advice on how to open a bank account (wow!!! lol), how to take buses, some of the british habits...Not really interesting.

Finally, you get the police explaining you that's illegal to walk with a knife in your pocket...what a surprise!!!:P

Really useless and i'm still mad that I came a week before freshers just to attended orientation and booked a room in hotel...waste of money

But maybe it will be better this year but i doubt since i was working last year with kclsu organizing events and i noticed anything changed

ReputationRep:
    For one, I'm not European...so I would totally need some orientation around bank accounts and all that, mostly to save myself the trouble of doing research. But from your description, I guess I would feel highly patronized at the talks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey.. I'll be coming as well...

Course : MSc Forensic Science

ReputationRep:
    I am European and will attend as well... i actually imagined it to be the way destination unknown describes it but i thought whatever... it won't harm to be in London a couple of days earlier, get to hang out in the city and already meet future mates.

See ya there people!

ReputationRep:
    For those who are attending, where are you guys bunking for those few extra nights?

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping that my accommodation will allow me to stay there. As I'm most likely going to be in intercollegiates, I have to book an ekstra week anyway (Freshers week is not included in the intercollegiate agreements)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destination unknown)
    i went 2 years ago and it was SO ****!!!

Absolutely USELESS! if you are European, you don't need to attend because you won't be "shocked" by london.

The orientatation consists of several lectures where some people give you advice on how to open a bank account (wow!!! lol), how to take buses, some of the british habits...Not really interesting.

Finally, you get the police explaining you that's illegal to walk with a knife in your pocket...what a surprise!!!:P

Really useless and i'm still mad that I came a week before freshers just to attended orientation and booked a room in hotel...waste of money

But maybe it will be better this year but i doubt since i was working last year with kclsu organizing events and i noticed anything changed
    Based on what you mentioned above, I have decided not to go to the orientation week.

Thanks for your response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicholasb)
    I am. Just got my place confirmed
    Place confirmed? You have to apply to attend orientation? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxanda)
    Place confirmed? You have to apply to attend orientation? :confused:
    It seems like more of an RSVP to make sure it's not oversubscribed I think?

Here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/international/p...plication.html

ReputationRep:
    Yea, http://www.kcl.ac.uk/international/p...plication.html ... Got my confirmation the day after applying.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm not interested in the events on the 16th, can I just visit the events on the 17th and 18th ?????

ReputationRep:
    I am going, I applied today. For me isn't a problem couse I'll be in London two weeks before freshers to do an English course.
    Still can't wait to know where I am going to live...
    See you there then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitschfactory)
    Out of curiosity, who's coming for the International Student Orientation & Welcome on the 16th to 18th?
    I'm not sure it's really worth it, but I'll be there! just in case!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.