The Student Room Group

The metoric rise of Loughborough University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Does well due to its placement years
Reply 21
paella
To those that matter, it's got no better than it was.

That's not true, it certainly wasn't in the top 15 about 8 / 10 years ago like it is now.
Reply 22
Sophie K
That's not true, it certainly wasn't in the top 15 about 8 / 10 years ago like it is now.

:facepalm:

In other words, those that matter are an exclusive group that doesn't contain you.
Reply 23
0404343m
:facepalm:

In other words, those that matter are an exclusive group that doesn't contain you.

Sorry, it's been a long day!! :biggrin:
It's an okay, middle of the road, respectable, if slightly dull university with an enduring reputation for sports studies.
OrmondDrone
It's an okay, middle of the road, respectable, if slightly dull university with an enduring reputation for sports studies.

Why do you describe it as dull? I visited a mate there a few months ago and it's anything but dull. There were lots of party-animal type students. the impression I got is that most of the students were outgoing / up for a laugh. Plus, Nottingham is about a 10-minute train journey and I was told many of the students at Loughborough go out in Nott frequently.
It's a great uni, which is exceptionally strong when it comes to anything to do with sport, and is also world renowned for engineering.
It does have other strengths (business as someone mentioned), but people get so caught up in the sports stuff that they seem to overlook them.
It isn't as strong across the board as unis like Oxbridge, Durham etc, but what it is good at, it is excellent at.

As a place though, it's a bit rough and the nightlife isn't great (though the SU is very good).
Reply 27
Loughborough is a mixed bag a lot of their degrees aren't spectacular, but they are very good at engineering and sports. Loughborough has been consistently good at taking average students with middling A-Level grades and turning them into good engineers
Craig_D

But then they justify it by adding at the end "but it's the UK's only truly global university! :awesome:" ... great :mute:

Wait, I thought that was UCL??!! :p:
Original post by Sophie K
I've been really surprised at how Loughborough University has climbed the league tables and how it's now seen as a very respectable university. In the past, I always felt Loughborough was considered to be very mediocre at best. Now, it seems to be amongst the top 15 in most league tables and is now seems to be up there with the Manchester's, Leeds', Nottingham's and Birmingham's of the world. Also, last year it gained The Sunday Times University of the Year award. Just like Warwick (but not to the same extent) it seems to be constantly on the rise and I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks into the top 10 in the next few years.

What are your opinions of Loughborough and what will happen to it in the future in terms of academic standing / prestige?

University of Surrey has shot the league tables. It isn't all of a sudden a 'Top 10' university. It's placed above the likes of Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, etc.

League tables really don't mean that much when a jump of about five places can be because the 'student satisfaction' has gone up in one year by say 0.1 points. Especially the Guardian's league tables which is atrocious.

Nottingham is ranked in the 'Top 100' worldwide and is routinely the most targeted university by graduate companies.

Crime statistics (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/crime-in-student-cities) also show that it's now worse for crime than any other the other larger cities. It's actually got better overall crime rates than Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds.
Original post by ChristopherHuey
University of Surrey has shot the league tables. It isn't all of a sudden a 'Top 10' university. It's placed above the likes of Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, etc.

League tables really don't mean that much when a jump of about five places can be because the 'student satisfaction' has gone up in one year by say 0.1 points. Especially the Guardian's league tables which is atrocious.

Nottingham is ranked in the 'Top 100' worldwide and is routinely the most targeted university by graduate companies.

Crime statistics (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/crime-in-student-cities) also show that it's now worse for crime than any other the other larger cities. It's actually got better overall crime rates than Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds.

Very well done of necroing a 6 or so year old thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending