Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I agree with others in that beauty surely cannot be measured.

There are perhaps now more ways to enhance ones natural assets, which would mean that on the surface people are more beautiful, but in reality how are these tests being conducted and if it's on celebrities etc. how often do we see them with no surgery/make-up/photoshopping. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I dont believe this is true at all, for a start if women didnt have makeup most of them wouldnt be good looking at all lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    Beauty is subjective and relative, thus this statement can never be correct nor incorrect.
    This.

(Original post by *MJ*)
    "Graham Mitchell wrote:
    Women are getting more beautiful? Yes. And alcohol is getting stronger...
    July 26, 2009 6:11 AM BST"

:rofl:
    lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest.:yes:
    was that meant to be funny? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well of course people are more beautiful, I don't particularly find our homoerectus ancestors that sexy... Do you? But males too are more attractive, and that whole rich male part is just agreeing with Richard Dawkins the selfish gene. But I also believe our ancestors would find todays women very unattractive possibly even smelly, as will we probably find that the females in 100 million years look weird too us.

ReputationRep:
    Feminine features which men are attracted to according to wikipedia include healthy smooth skin, big eyes, small noses and chins and around a 0.7 hip-waist ratio so I imagine these would be some of things beauty is judged by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    how do you measure "beauty"?
    Average levels of blood flow to the penises of 10 men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    how do you measure "beauty"?
    beautyometer

ReputationRep:
    I dono.
    I want to say its because of mixing races (im biased, i love anyone mixed race, mixed anything)
    but then, the men would be better looking too...
    would all this feminine cosmetic stuff have affected our evolution over time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    Yeah mixed race girls tend to be very interesting looking.
    yes, yes :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I dont know man I know some ugly mixed race people, its hit and miss theirs no middle ground, like people with ginger hair.

ReputationRep:
    did these "scientists" fail to see the progress made in fields like dentistry, plastic surgery, dermatology and so on?

I mean, really..this study is pretty ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james_dow)
    I dont know man I know some ugly mixed race people, its hit and miss theirs no middle ground, like people with ginger hair.
    He has a point.

Women: Nuts about how they look.

Men: Didn't give a **** what they looked like at the start of time and still don't give a **** now.

ReputationRep:
    Are they getting more beautiful? Or are we getting more desperate...

ReputationRep:
    I hate these threads makes me feel ugly

ReputationRep:
    As women get wealthier, they spend more on beautification, whereas men don't (much). Economic prosperity therefore increases causes women to get better looking to a larger extent than men.
    That's my theory....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2Av)
    Well.. we all know the population is getting beautiful because research done now compared to 1940's is way different. Perhaps in the 2050, all women will have straight teeth and veener like teeth also. As for guys..well majority guys don't bother with those. We'd rather bulk up to look like Hulk and yes, men starting to look the part of bigger and stronger.

If anything, the sedentary nature of modern life makes men less attractive than in decades gone. We are now fatter than ever. Hard manual labour can do wonders.

This would not apply to women to the same extent, I suppose, because women have not had the same reduction in daily calorific needs, proportionally speaking, perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    Feminine features which men are attracted to according to wikipedia include healthy smooth skin, big eyes, small noses and chins and around a 0.7 hip-waist ratio so I imagine these would be some of things beauty is judged by.
    Yes, this is what the study suggested, that features that attract the other sex are more likely passed down. I can't believe some of the post on the thread, as if scientist were rifling through pictures of women through out history and deciding who's hottest. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I think people like Elizabeth Taylor and Diana Dors are beautiful
    That is true beauty not people like Lindsay Lohan and whatever crap is in films these days.
    I'm all for that nostalgic beauty!

It's all subjective, just like art.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.