Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I received my reading list from Nottingham, and have yet to get any of the books.

The letter says something about not worrying to get all the books as some may be available second hand when we get there.

I was just wondering which books, if any, that you have got, of the ones that you think would be best to get?

Thanks

(Original post by Jackbnmbnm)
    Hello guys,

I received my reading list from Nottingham, and have yet to get any of the books.

The letter says something about not worrying to get all the books as some may be available second hand when we get there.

I was just wondering which books, if any, that you have got, of the ones that you think would be best to get?

Thanks
    Hey :wavey: I was a 1st year last year and will be going into my 2nd year next year The letter is right about not needing to worry about getting all your books, most 2nd years will be trying to sell their old textbooks via the Economics noticeboard. Also it can be wise to wait until you have your 1st lecture to get textbooks since you can get the books that are recommended by the lecturers unless you want to buy them all anyway :p:

I hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Text books were such a waste of money and time in my first year. I didn't even read one because they confuse you so much!

(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Text books were such a waste of money and time in my first year. I didn't even read one because they confuse you so much!
    Really? Actually yeah, the lecture slides were pretty self-explanatory most of the time. I found the Micro textbook useful though :yy:

ReputationRep:
    You're probably quite safe to get what they're recommending for Micro and Macro, which is what I did last year. You don't need to worry about looking at them really but I suppose if you did it would be a bonus. Don't get any others for the reasons thetopnotch said.

If they're still recommending you look at a couple of pop economics books (last year they said 'Free Lunch' by David Smith and 'The Truth About Markets' by John Kay) that's not a bad idea either as it can give you a good introduction, whereas the textbooks would drop you straight into the theory.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, they still are. Is it worth reading them if we've did A-Level Economics? I kinda got the impression that those type of books just touch on basic theory and apply it to real world situations (not that that it's bad, it just doesn't seem necessary to read in terms of the course?)

(Original post by sv90)
    Yep, they still are. Is it worth reading them if we've did A-Level Economics? I kinda got the impression that those type of books just touch on basic theory and apply it to real world situations (not that that it's bad, it just doesn't seem necessary to read in terms of the course?)
    Well it's not essential but it does open you up to the idea that economics isn't just applied to the car market or is all about the Supply and Demand curve. That's where it helped me I guess, I was someone who thought we would be doing a lot of supply and demand graph stuff, so it opened my mind to other ideas and other applications of economics

ReputationRep:
    I've lost my reading list now.

Does anyone have a copy they can scan in so I now which micro/macro books I need to look out for buying next week? :confused:

(Original post by sv90)
    I've lost my reading list now.

Does anyone have a copy they can scan in so I now which micro/macro books I need to look out for buying next week? :confused:
    The school of Economics site has some textbooks listed in the module pages: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/economic...dex.html#Year1

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.