Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, I explained part of my problem here ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=20252375 ) but what surprises me and disappoints me most is that some of the people whom I considered my very best friends are not even talking to me or answering the phone.

I noticed this ever since my grades started falling and I started asking them for help.

I don't know... usually everyone saw me as a "guru" and asked me for help, which I did with pleasure. I can understand if they can't help me.

But when my friends are not even concerned to answer the phone when I try calling them... for 3 days now... I get a bit nervous.

Oh and I also have aMSN. Some friends whom I hadn't seen for some time start chatting. When I tell them "Everything fine! Apart from the fact that I'm nearly homeless..." they suddenly change their enthusiastic tone and say "Oh ok..." and leave the conversation (on aMSN you can see whether they close the window, whether they block you, etc.)

I'm wondering whether it's normal that people (especially friends) avoid those who are in trouble and need help...

ReputationRep:
    No it's not normal.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Yes, i think its fairly normal. Most people have enough going on in their lives, without having someone else being a burden on them. For me i'd like to think i'd help my closest couple of friends and family. Anyone else and no, i probably wouldn't help all that much.

Andy

ReputationRep:
    well you said these people look up to you as some kind of guru and they, stupidly or not, don't expect you to have such massive issues. Now that you do, they don't know what to do as they probably aren't used to seeing their rock of support in trouble and feel that leaving you to solve the problems may be better than them trying to stick their oar in...after all, you do deal with their issues for them.

yes it is ****** and for the to leave you out on your ass like this isn't nice, but i would return the favour to them next time they need your help.

sorry im not beign much help either, im just trying to make their behaviour seem more logical; however, i can't make it less crappy of them :/

ReputationRep:
    They sound like great friends...I dont think!. So you are there when they need help, but now the shoe is on the other foot they dont want to know. Thats really crappy, and if that was happening to me....well I wouldnt help those"friends" again when they need it personally. Any relationship is give and take......they seem like they are willing to take, not willing to give though.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Andy; I'd help very close friends, but wouldn't take anyone else in to my home for an extended period of time.
    Do you consider these people your closest friends, and do you know that they have space for you?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.