Turn on thread page Beta

Should I accept my offer? 6pm deadline today! watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in such a pickle. Sheffield have given me an unconditional offer on their 4 year MChem Chemistry degree full time.

My employer however, wants me to work for them and do my chemistry degree on day release, funded by them. If I get on to it (a risk) it's at Nottingham Trent. Times guide says for Chem Sheff 6th, Trent like 20th!!

With the part-time degree I'll feel looked down on at Trent, however, a FULL TIME SALARY, free degree and future job is tempting to no end. Although, if in the future I wish to leave the industry and enter another, perhaps the lack of uni rep will hinder my progress. If I decline this today also, and then Trent for some reason decline me, I'm screwed until next year and/or clearing.

Can't make a decision....
    Advice appreciated here lol. x

ReputationRep:
    Can you put Nottingham for your first choice and Sheffield as insurance?

ReputationRep:
    i think you should go for sheffield because it would probably work out better in the long run. negotiate with your employer to do summer work for them/at christmas etc.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oooh, tricky. Considering the famous trouble graduates are having getting jobs at the moment I'd say take the employment + degree offer.

HOWEVER I have no idea about the industry so I'd wait for someone who does

ReputationRep:
    I would go for Sheffield every time.
    Short term, you obviously know it's the ''better'' uni, it's a great student city and it will give you a chance to really make the most of student life and enjoy it. Part time it might be harder to do extra stuff or make friends (athough I can see the financial attractions).
    Thinking about it in the long term, even with debt from studying, a degree from Sheffield could be more high earning if it enables you to work in a better company later on. I don't know about this, but it might be worth looking in to. You are already wondering if the Trent degree is good enough for what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited each place?

Go to which ever one you prefer and which ever one you think will give you the best future.

Good luck...
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I think you're going to get some bias here to be honest, even from me... I mean, my own intuition was to say pick Sheffield even when you mentioned they'd pay for it if you went to Nottingham Trent, but the fact that you'd get a job afterwards changes things. To be honest, it depends whether you want that job after your degree or not. But at the same time, if you go to Trent and decide you don't want that job, it's not the end of the world: just because you got a degree from an ex-polytechnic doesn't mean you're unemployable. If you do well in it, say getting a 2:1 or a 1st, you'll be just as employable as a graduate from any other university. That all said, Trent isn't even that bad a uni; it's reputation is getting stronger... Alternatively, visit both; it's where you'll be living for the next 3 years so you'll have to make sure you like the place.

Sorry for waffling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarve99)
    I'm in such a pickle. Sheffield have given me an unconditional offer on their 4 year MChem Chemistry degree full time.

My employer however, wants me to work for them and do my chemistry degree on day release, funded by them. If I get on to it (a risk) it's at Nottingham Trent. Times guide says for Chem Sheff 6th, Trent like 20th!!

With the part-time degree I'll feel looked down on at Trent, however, a FULL TIME SALARY, free degree and future job is tempting to no end. Although, if in the future I wish to leave the industry and enter another, perhaps the lack of uni rep will hinder my progress. If I decline this today also, and then Trent for some reason decline me, I'm screwed until next year and/or clearing.

Can't make a decision....
    Advice appreciated here lol. x
    You can lose a job with the snap of a fingers, you cannot lose a top class education.

ReputationRep:
    If the Trent degree is part time, haven't you applied for that without ucas?

I've heard from some biochem students that Trent has some of the best facilities in the country, if that helps?

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one, but if you're keen on a career in industry you might be better off sticking with the company... cause think about it, you already have a HUGE advantage above every other chemistry graduate in the country, including the ones with firsts from top universities; you'll have an easier time further advancing your career in chemistry. More importantly, you won't have any debt to worry about when you graduate, and I can imagine you'll have a pretty decent salary.

It should be said, though, that if you seek to experience the university student life at its fullest, you're probably better off going to Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    Bachelors from Trent + Lot of money short term
    V
    Masters from Sheffield + Loads of money long term

I'd pick Sheffield every time, it's the better Uni (no offense to Trent, it's in my city after all, it just is the better uni, it's a fantastic University), and an offer for a Masters too. No question about it. Don't be pulled in by the short term financial gain.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely go for Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    I think your heart is telling you to go to Sheffield.

The second option looks good on paper but should your company need to make redundances then chances are you'd be one of the first to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Bachelors from Trent + Lot of money short term
    V
    Masters from Sheffield + Loads of money long term

I'd pick Sheffield every time, it's the better Uni (no offense to Trent, it's in my city after all, it just is the better uni, it's a fantastic University), and an offer for a Masters too. No question about it. Don't be pulled in by the short term financial gain.
    I think it's a Masters from Trent for 1 extra year. But I see your point. With my family experiencing recession related difficulties it's makes it more complicated of a situation also.

I appreciate all your inputs. I'm not sure I could live 4 years without any money. But I also think if I decide not to enter the Chemistry industry like a lot of graduates, but instead use the analytical nature in management for example, the Sheffield degree would be better.

As for the life style, for financial reasons I'd probably live at home anyway, although I've heard if you try hard enough you can still have a decent time this way.

The salary I get at the moments quite poor, equivalent to around £5.65 an hour. I would also LOVE to say that i went to a good university. I'm also experiencing a little bias from the parents towards the paid route, since they at this stage wouldn't be able to help me out until work picks up.

Would applying for student finance at this stage still work out ok?

Really hard to ignore the money, every round here says about the money. But then again, they're all similiar minded. HMMM. Jesus. Not to mention my secret desire to study something biological. I was thinking more of careers with chemistry, whilst prefering bio stuff. MY god. Perhaps I should go Corus, then use clearing on the other hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarve99)
    I think it's a Masters from Trent for 1 extra year. But I see your point. With my family experiencing recession related difficulties it's makes it more complicated of a situation also.

I appreciate all your inputs. I'm not sure I could live 4 years without any money. But I also think if I decide not to enter the Chemistry industry like a lot of graduates, but instead use the analytical nature in management for example, the Sheffield degree would be better.

As for the life style, for financial reasons I'd probably live at home anyway, although I've heard if you try hard enough you can still have a decent time this way.

The salary I get at the moments quite poor, equivalent to around £5.65 an hour. I would also LOVE to say that i went to a good university. I'm also experiencing a little bias from the parents towards the paid route, since they at this stage wouldn't be able to help me out until work picks up.

Would applying for student finance at this stage still work out ok?

Really hard to ignore the money, every round here says about the money. But then again, they're all similiar minded. HMMM. Jesus. Not to mention my secret desire to study something biological. I was thinking more of careers with chemistry, whilst prefering bio stuff. MY god. Perhaps I should go Corus, then use clearing on the other hand.

By the time you end your four year degree the recession will be over and there will be more prosperous jobs knocking at your door.

edit - dont sacrifice a brilliant education for 4 years of salary - you will have 40 years to earn money in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I can really see the sense there. I'd feel much more proud and content to have a Sheffield degree than a Trent degree. I suspect all of the above posts are from people currently recieving muchos financial support though.

ReputationRep:
    i've just finished sixth form and am starting a job in August as a trainee accountant. i'm getting paid to qualify for my professional qualifications and above all will have three years experience by the time everyone else will be finishing univeristy. i think the experience you will have will help you stand out against other graduates... especially with how many people are getting degrees these days! maybe i'm bias, but i'd say go with the job. when people say to me that i could be getting a highly respected degree i just reply that i still could one day... there's no reason you can't do a degree in the future - when you have earnt enough money to pay for it without going into debt!!

ReputationRep:
    I chose Sheffield. It depends if you want to go simply for the degree, or you want the University experience. Also, possible better course at Sheff, even though you are paying?

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield. You never know, the company may sponsor you or offer you a job after you're done there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    Oooh, tricky. Considering the famous trouble graduates are having getting jobs at the moment I'd say take the employment + degree offer.

HOWEVER I have no idea about the industry so I'd wait for someone who does
    But the economy will be totally different in 4 years time. Student debt is the best kind you can have so while the employment and free degree sound great you shouldnt feel too bad about paying for your own. Plus with your employer youd take longer to graduate and be locked in with them for years for the degree let alone afterwards. Youd never have the student life, no long holidays, youd have to revise/do assignments around a full time job (personally this is the thing I find most ridiculous) and although employers would value the employment experience you would rather have a Sheffield degree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.