Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I accept my offer? 6pm deadline today! Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    But the economy will be totally different in 4 years time. Student debt is the best kind you can have so while the employment and free degree sound great you shouldnt feel too bad about paying for your own. Plus with your employer youd take longer to graduate and be locked in with them for years for the degree let alone afterwards. Youd never have the student life, no long holidays, youd have to revise/do assignments around a full time job (personally this is the thing I find most ridiculous) and although employers would value the employment experience you would rather have a Sheffield degree.
    That does make sense. Like somebody else said, is there room for negotiation with your employer?

ReputationRep:
    I'd take the Sheffield one.
    Even though you'd have less financial support, you would be able to get a student bank account with a decent overdraft if needs be, and you could always try get a part time job.
    Or ask if your employer would take you on on a part year contract, its reverse term time basically.

ReputationRep:
    This is killing me. I actually can't decide. Half the people say i'm an idiot to turn down a job now, half say get the better degree. I can't actually imagine living 4 years without any cash though. This sucks. I'm not even guarenteed entry to the p/t one yet. If only there was a way to go Sheff and still have some fundage.

No doubt I'll have myself a panic attack or some **** later. I think beers the way forward here.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm the only one thinking take the job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen angel9)
    I think I'm the only one thinking take the job?
    Every single friend and relative I have agrees. However, all my old friends (i.e don't see often) who are now at university, think uni is the way to go. But then again, they're all loaded.

It was especially nice to get paid this month though. Enjoy having new clothes, nippy 1.6 car and all the rest.

The jobs at Corus btw, I can imagine this putting someone people off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarve99)
    I'm in such a pickle. Sheffield have given me an unconditional offer on their 4 year MChem Chemistry degree full time.

My employer however, wants me to work for them and do my chemistry degree on day release, funded by them. If I get on to it (a risk) it's at Nottingham Trent. Times guide says for Chem Sheff 6th, Trent like 20th!!

With the part-time degree I'll feel looked down on at Trent, however, a FULL TIME SALARY, free degree and future job is tempting to no end. Although, if in the future I wish to leave the industry and enter another, perhaps the lack of uni rep will hinder my progress. If I decline this today also, and then Trent for some reason decline me, I'm screwed until next year and/or clearing.

Can't make a decision....
    Advice appreciated here lol. x
    Take sheffield. Much better reputation and degree will be worth it. Chemistry graduates are in demand and will be in demand in the future. You have to take it. And its unconditional as well. You'll get a better salary in the future - don't worry about money right now.

ReputationRep:
    Every single friend and relative I have agrees. However, all my old friends (i.e don't see often) who are now at university, think uni is the way to go. But then again, they're all loaded.

It was especially nice to get paid this month though. Enjoy having new clothes, nippy 1.6 car and all the rest.

I just think you have the best if both worlds this way. You might not find a decent, well paying job after 4 years at Uni. I like the idea of earning good money now and think it's a good opportunity. It's your decision anyway. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield every time, it's the better long term choice by far. If it helps I'm not particularly loaded, I'll be in £40k of debt after uni.

ReputationRep:
    How secure is the job? How much fun will you have at either place? how important is it to you yo have the free degree?
    Usually you get what you pay for and nothing is free, you'd be giving up probably a lot more by taking the job instead of taking the brilliant looking degree...

ReputationRep:
    Secondly, you might only be stuck with that job in the long run. If you think about this, an Mchem degree with set you up for life. Why run after money now when even graduates from university have a 30k debt and pay it off fairly easily with an enjoyable life?

ReputationRep:
    This is not the place to ask tbh. There are many biased snobs who loathe anything to do with ex-polys. People on here do not realise that the university which you go to is not the be-all and end-all.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you keep saying it'll be four years of no money?

I think I would pick Sheffield, though I can understand why the job looks tempting. You've not told us much about the job though, is there the kind of progression and prospects you'd associate with a good graduate role, or are the top potential earnings fairly dire? Think about where you could be in 10, 15, 20 years when making your decision. The next four years aren't as important in comparison. If the prospects are similar, and you have financial commitments now, then think about Trent. If you can't earn much more in fifteen years' time because progression isn't that great, and think you could do better with MChem from Sheffield, then just take the loan and accept Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in such a pickle. Sheffield have given me an unconditional offer on their 4 year MChem Chemistry degree full time.

My employer however, wants me to work for them and do my chemistry degree on day release, funded by them. If I get on to it (a risk) it's at Nottingham Trent. Times guide says for Chem Sheff 6th, Trent like 20th!!

With the part-time degree I'll feel looked down on at Trent, however, a FULL TIME SALARY, free degree and future job is tempting to no end. Although, if in the future I wish to leave the industry and enter another, perhaps the lack of uni rep will hinder my progress. If I decline this today also, and then Trent for some reason decline me, I'm screwed until next year and/or clearing.

Can't make a decision....
    Advice appreciated here lol. x
    Trent is lower in the league tables because they don't do all the world class research that places like Sheffield do and they have lower entry standards but they do have one of the best employment records and beat sheffield for employment prospects (Sheffield 87% Trent 91%).

I think you need to concentrate less on the uni choice and more on the lifestyle choice you have to make. I could have had my degree paid for by my employer but I decided to go for the full experience. I also will end up better off (financially) from doing a full time uni course (believe it or not).

ReputationRep:
    Exactly ^^ (dogtanian) taking this job alone limits you immediately pal. The degree will keep your life open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ∑ Я ĩ k ė s ħ ξ)
    Exactly ^^ (dogtanian) taking this job alone limits you immediately pal. The degree will keep your life open.

I never said that, hah!

I want to know more about the job, none of us know if it's a good job with prospects, or one where he can't earn much more than he does now.

It's not the fact it's Trent that I think is limiting, just that it's an uncertainty right now as the OP hasn't received an offer. If the job is worth the wait and the risk, then I'd say Trent. Otherwise I'd go for Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    I never said that, hah!

I want to know more about the job, none of us know if it's a good job with prospects, or one where he can't earn much more than he does now.

It's not the fact it's Trent that I think is limiting, just that it's an uncertainty right now as the OP hasn't received an offer. If the job is worth the wait and the risk, then I'd say Trent. Otherwise I'd go for Sheffield.
    he just said hes received unconditional offer from sheffield, right? :confused: A degree keeps ones career options wide open. Say in the future he wants to change jobs, a degree could allow him to do that. Sheffield provides a reputable place for his degree origin.

ReputationRep:
    Well. It's actually quite tedious. recieve samples and stuff from the steel works, prepare them, analyse them on the ion chromatographer and ICP/MS, sort the data out and give it to a PHD to OK it. Job done. The salary goes up £1000 each year, but only starts on about £11,000. The Trent degree will give me an MChem after 5 years. I imagine after i get the degree, I'd have to apply for the proper researcher job in house, but obviously I'd have a good chance. Infact when looking at it like this, it is quite limiting. But then again, once I get my degree I could do all sorts and leave. It's really cushy though. Own desk, PC, phone not in the slighest physically exerting. Final salary pension, gym £10 a year. Erm. Think this covers it.

I think basically, it's like a lab technician while getting a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Trent while working of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ∑ Я ĩ k ė s ħ ξ)
    he just said hes received unconditional offer from sheffield, right? :confused: A degree keeps ones career options wide open. Say in the future he wants to change jobs, a degree could allow him to do that. Sheffield provides a reputable place for his degree origin.

He hasn't had an offer from Trent though.

If the company is the kind of company he'd want to be at after graduating anyway, then it would make sense to stick with them and hold out for Trent I guess. It's just a huge uncertainty and I'd be wary of declining an offer from Sheffield on that basis.

Sheffield might be more reputable, but he's hardly destroying his future by going for Trent. I don't know either department well, or know much about Chemistry's rep, um, anywhere, but he'll still have good prospects with a degree from Trent. People need to stop treating it like a passport to a job in McDonalds. A good degree from Trent will allow him to change jobs too!

ReputationRep:

Your relatives are saying do it because of where they are in their lives - they want the stability and job for life but dont you want freedom? The student experience? Not to be locked in for the next 5+ years? Its all relative to what you want to do in your early 20s, what theyre offering is brilliant but is it what you want to do right now?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.