Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I accept my offer? 6pm deadline today! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    He hasn't had an offer from Trent though.

If the company is the kind of company he'd want to be at after graduating anyway, then it would make sense to stick with them and hold out for Trent I guess. It's just a huge uncertainty and I'd be wary of declining an offer from Sheffield on that basis.

Sheffield might be more reputable, but he's hardly destroying his future by going for Trent. I don't know either department well, or know much about Chemistry's rep, um, anywhere, but he'll still have good prospects with a degree from Trent. People need to stop treating it like a passport to a job in McDonalds. A good degree from Trent will allow him to change jobs too!

Hmmm maybe. The future is getting more competitive though, but I shall say no more and leave it up to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I've just read the OP's post on his current job.
    I think I'd pick Sheffield, but really, it's such a personal decision. I wanted the full time student thing, moving away from home, etc. I was happy on my loan and weekend job, but not everyone is. I knew people at uni who went local and had no interest in doing any of that, and were absolutely happy with that decision.

Is the company sponsorship just for fees? And will you have the discipline to work well for your employers and study?

As appealing as finishing debt-free is, would taking out student funding be so terrible?

ReputationRep:
    If it wasn't for money, or prospects, or anything like this. My real desire, would be to study something Biological. I walked an A easily in Biology, I enjoy it and am superb. I'll be doing Chemistry either way based on the above choices, chosen because it's better.

I might just screw reality, decline this offer and jump in to a Biology related degree through clearing. A third option running through my mind. Even though my personal statement is tailored completely wrong. I wrote my CHem PS the night before june 30th as another option.

I'm quite confused at the moment as you can see. Appreciate all the input however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarve99)
    I'm in such a pickle. Sheffield have given me an unconditional offer on their 4 year MChem Chemistry degree full time.

My employer however, wants me to work for them and do my chemistry degree on day release, funded by them. If I get on to it (a risk) it's at Nottingham Trent. Times guide says for Chem Sheff 6th, Trent like 20th!!

With the part-time degree I'll feel looked down on at Trent, however, a FULL TIME SALARY, free degree and future job is tempting to no end. Although, if in the future I wish to leave the industry and enter another, perhaps the lack of uni rep will hinder my progress. If I decline this today also, and then Trent for some reason decline me, I'm screwed until next year and/or clearing.

Can't make a decision....
    Advice appreciated here lol. x
    Short time benefits: Have a job whilst at uni with Nottingham Trent Uni.

Long Term benefits: Give up job, work in McDs even, and get a higher salary paid job in the future by going to Sheffield Uni...

Totally up to you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    I'm going to be crazy here and say go with Trent. A wage, a paid for degree and experience? Being sponsored through a degree generally looks really good - it shows somebody thought you were good enough to have that much money spent on you. You'd come out with your degree, no debt and experience from working. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from doing postgrad work at other universities as a top up if you decide to move to another company (not that there's anything wrong with Nottingham Trent - isn't it considered the most up and coming ex-poly now anyway? And it being at 20 in the tables really isn't awful!).

ReputationRep:
    Won't you have experience after this anyway? So even if you went to Sheffield, you still have experience. Just not current experience. :\

ReputationRep:
    I always thought prospects and stuff was everything but I'm really beginning to change my mind. I''ve realized I'm not particularly excited about either route. I might just head for clearing and do Biology/Biochemistry. A foolish decision as I'll no doubt lose the money AND the reputable university, but I'm fead up with this ******** now. Perhaps I should do something I actually WANT to do for ONCE.

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally fo for Sheffield. I was considering doing a course with PriceWaterhouseCoopers for accounting, where I would get the experience and a degree from Newcastle (I think), but in the end I decided I'd be better off getting a degree from a more reputable uni. I imagine that my salary in ten years time will be a lot larger as a result. My parents haven't worked in my lifetime so I will be paying for everything using student loans.

ReputationRep:
    Employers don't really care about which uni you go to, it's you degree classification which will matter. A 1st at Notts makes you more employable than a 2:2 at Sheffield. Think about which uni you will be able to work better at.
    Also, if you go part-time at notts you won't get the full uni experience. You'll be more financially stable at the end, with no debts and guaranteed full-time job. But you won't be living in halls getting drunk every other night because you have work in the morning. Think about what uni experience you want.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in such a pickle. Sheffield have given me an unconditional offer on their 4 year MChem Chemistry degree full time.

My employer however, wants me to work for them and do my chemistry degree on day release, funded by them. If I get on to it (a risk) it's at Nottingham Trent. Times guide says for Chem Sheff 6th, Trent like 20th!!

With the part-time degree I'll feel looked down on at Trent, however, a FULL TIME SALARY, free degree and future job is tempting to no end. Although, if in the future I wish to leave the industry and enter another, perhaps the lack of uni rep will hinder my progress. If I decline this today also, and then Trent for some reason decline me, I'm screwed until next year and/or clearing.

Can't make a decision....
    Advice appreciated here lol. x
    If your guarenteed a job post degree, then I would go for the nottingham trent option. Chemistry is a very respected degree on its own and especially with this unemployment, this sounds like the best option.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably take the paid offer in your situation. Chemistry graduates are in much demand and I honestly don't think the potential earnings would be significantly higher with the Sheffield degree if you already have three or four years experience under your belt. Obviously you should take into consideration the role you'd be given upon graduation and the company's financial situation though. Furthermore, I was under the impression that Nottingham Trent has a pretty good standing with employers.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, the better long term option is certainly Trent. A guarunteed job, free degree AND full-time salary during the degree?!

Of course, you could give that up for the 'university experience', and the slightly better uni reputation, but I don't think it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Pffff. 40 minutes. I'll not a thing, let UCAS auto decline the Sheffield offer. I just can't afford to ignore the financial aspects at this moment in time. If when I work further I get a serious sense of regret, theres clearing or next year. Not the end of the world. Where as if I pass up the money, I doubt I could try that again next year.

Thinking clearly, I'll regret whatever I do. I think the Corus option for now at least suits me. If I decide I want uni, I can still go in the future no big deal. The lifestyle will be quite a hard miss, and getting laughed at because my university sucks won't be good, but lifes what you make of it I guess. I just hope I can meet new people without university, since my current crowd are morons.

Thanks for the help guys. I'd rep you all but obviously can't.

ReputationRep:
    Don't count on being able to get into sheffield next year though.

ReputationRep:
    Pffff. 40 minutes. I'll not a thing, let UCAS auto decline the Sheffield offer. I just can't afford to ignore the financial aspects at this moment in time. If when I work further I get a serious sense of regret, theres clearing or next year. Not the end of the world. Where as if I pass up the money, I doubt I could try that again next year.
    My brother and his girlfriend both studied chemistry and moved into biological-related matter for PhD. So don't worry too much about that, at least.

If I had been in your position I would also have chosen Trent. Paid + four years experience = great. As someone else said, you can still do a Master's or PhD at a more "reputable" university. Graduate programs (esp. in the sciences) aren't that snobbish so long as you do well...

ReputationRep:
    I would of chosen Trent, earning a wage and sponsered on the degree sounds mad not too espcially given the ecomic crisis! You can always go further afield for Masters anyway. Oh and about the current crowd they arent your friends if they laugh at you for choosing differently and if you dont agree with things. Just enjoy your job and if you go for the trent option with the part time degree love it and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphire_Eyes)
    I would of chosen Trent, earning a wage and sponsered on the degree sounds mad not too espcially given the ecomic crisis! You can always go further afield for Masters anyway. Oh and about the current crowd they arent your friends if they laugh at you for choosing differently and if you dont agree with things. Just enjoy your job and if you go for the trent option with the part time degree love it and good luck
    My friends who are left i.e not at uni all think I did the right thing. It's just they're idiots. I was saying, I hope not going to university doesn't limit my ability to meet new similiar minded people.

What's done is done. On the up side, I'll be able to buy my self the upgrade from my SRi to a GTi in april .

And thanks appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    I think you made the most sensible choice.

ReputationRep:
    Weirdly, It still says I can choose. Between firm, insurance and decline.

ReputationRep:
    which did u go for? one of my cousins goes to trent one goes to sheffeild, i would've gone for the early offer, espec to be on the safe side,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.