Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will doing a second degree in something else worsen my career options as an engineer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 3rd year Civil Engineer. I am currently on a Beng., but I will probably do a Meng. I'm probably going to graduate with either a 1st or a high 2.1. I've been doing internships at various multinational companies that are relevant to my degrees every summer, so I think if I graduate I'm quite set for a good, well paying first job in my field.

My issue is quite complicated however, because I'm very interested in doing a second degree in philosophy before I start working. I know I want to work as a civil engineer when I'm done with my studies, but I find philosophy very interesting and I wanted to do a second degree anyway because I don't see myself working in the next few years.

My main question is.. will this put me at a disadvantage rather than an advantage for also developing a different skilset, when working again in the engineering field? I'm planning to also continue doing various internships and training programs at multinational engineering companies while I'm doing my philosophy degree, but I just wanted assurances on whether or not my second degree will have a negative impact on my employability options.

I am also thinking about doing a Phd. in Civil Engineering, but I don't know if it's wiser to do it before or after my second degree. The same thing with why I'm undecided about when to do my 4th master's year.

Basically, to sum up my questions, my first is whether or not a second degree will be negative when working in the civil engineering field. My second and main question is that I need a suggested order of my degrees. I know I want to do a Meng, a Philosophy BA, and an engineering Phd before employment. I know obviously the Phd will have to come after the Meng, but when should I do the Philosophy degree?

I was thinking of finishing my Beng now, doing my Meng, then doing a philosophy degree and then doing my Phd, but I'm worried that my 3 years of philosophy will make me forget all the engineering I'll need for the Phd! The same with doing a BA Philosophy before my Meng.

I don't want to do Meng, Phd, then Philosophy, because I need a break from Engineering and I also think it'll help my employability if my last degree is the PhD rather than the BA philosophy degree. I know I'm starting to sound insanely confused but well.. I am :woo:

Well, now that I thought about it, that means my only options are either doing my BA philosophy before Meng and the PhD, or doing Meng, BA philosophy, and then the PhD. Can someone tell me which one is more advantageous in my scenario?

Thank you for reading this mess and sorry my English is kinda rusty.

ReputationRep:
    If you can afford it - do it. I'd love to be able to.

The only problem I see is that if you are out of engineering for three years, people may assume that your skills (especially your mathematical skills) got rusty. Continuing doing internships etc. will help. Not sure if people will consider it good enough (I would), maybe you should ask some people that you work(ed) for at one of those companies, to see what they think?

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine (good degree + work experience). You'd need the PhD though.

Glad you can afford that!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why not do an MA in Philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Why not do an MA in Philosophy?
    Why an MA in Philosophy?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Quady)
    Why an MA in Philosophy?
    It's a hell of a lot cheaper, and he won't have to spend such a long time away from engineering, which is what he's worried is going to put employers off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    It's a hell of a lot cheaper, and he won't have to spend such a long time away from engineering, which is what he's worried is going to put employers off.
    Ahhhh sorry, didn't think! Thought you meant instead of the phd

ReputationRep:
    Do an external course - so you can still work and study philosophy to a Bsc level at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shexbex)
    I'm a 3rd year Civil Engineer. I am currently on a Beng., but I will probably do a Meng. I'm probably going to graduate with either a 1st or a high 2.1. I've been doing internships at various multinational companies that are relevant to my degrees every summer, so I think if I graduate I'm quite set for a good, well paying first job in my field.

My issue is quite complicated however, because I'm very interested in doing a second degree in philosophy before I start working. I know I want to work as a civil engineer when I'm done with my studies, but I find philosophy very interesting and I wanted to do a second degree anyway because I don't see myself working in the next few years.

My main question is.. will this put me at a disadvantage rather than an advantage for also developing a different skilset, when working again in the engineering field? I'm planning to also continue doing various internships and training programs at multinational engineering companies while I'm doing my philosophy degree, but I just wanted assurances on whether or not my second degree will have a negative impact on my employability options.

I am also thinking about doing a Phd. in Civil Engineering, but I don't know if it's wiser to do it before or after my second degree. The same thing with why I'm undecided about when to do my 4th master's year.

Basically, to sum up my questions, my first is whether or not a second degree will be negative when working in the civil engineering field. My second and main question is that I need a suggested order of my degrees. I know I want to do a Meng, a Philosophy BA, and an engineering Phd before employment. I know obviously the Phd will have to come after the Meng, but when should I do the Philosophy degree?

I was thinking of finishing my Beng now, doing my Meng, then doing a philosophy degree and then doing my Phd, but I'm worried that my 3 years of philosophy will make me forget all the engineering I'll need for the Phd! The same with doing a BA Philosophy before my Meng.

I don't want to do Meng, Phd, then Philosophy, because I need a break from Engineering and I also think it'll help my employability if my last degree is the PhD rather than the BA philosophy degree. I know I'm starting to sound insanely confused but well.. I am :woo:

Well, now that I thought about it, that means my only options are either doing my BA philosophy before Meng and the PhD, or doing Meng, BA philosophy, and then the PhD. Can someone tell me which one is more advantageous in my scenario?

Thank you for reading this mess and sorry my English is kinda rusty.
    i'm also quite fascinated with Philosophy and thinking of doing a post grad diploma in Philosophy. There's no way i'm going to spend another 3 years for a degree lol. If i can just get a gist out of it i'm a happy camper There's an option that i saw where post grad students can do an MSc parallel with the Post grad diploma together

There is always Open University for this kind of aspirations I am an Electrical Engineer but I am about to graduate with a BSc in Astronomy from OU.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.