Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been eating really healthily for about a month (I usually do, but slipped during exams) and I've been doing between half an hour and an hour on the cross trainer every day for the past 2 weeks (i gradually increased by time from 15mins upwards over the last month)

My daily intake is about 1000-1200 (Porridge for breakfast, a chicken salad for lunch (no dressing) and another salad or roast vegetables with rice and chicken for dinner. All snacks are fruit.)

With the exercise I'm burning around 150-300 calories a day, usually 200 though.

So my question is, how long does it take to make a difference? Or could there be something wrong with me?

I'm 19, 5'3 and weigh 9.2 stone.
    I've lost no weight and my measurements haven't changed. I expected at least a couple of pounds, (especially with this amount of time!)but theres been nothing. It makes it so frustrating and I get upset because it all seems worthless.

ReputationRep:
    Could be that your body has stabilized on that amount of food/exercise? If you always eat like that your body effectively alters itself until it thinks that is 'normal' and works off it.

The answer imo is, rather than reduce what your eating, change your exercise. You need to shock your body every few months by doing something different. If you've never done it before do some resistance training, if you dont swim do that etc etc.

Just sitting on a cross trainer isnt brilliantly effective exercise tbh

ReputationRep:
    erm well you're not overweight so maybe your body is at it's 'happy weight' - most people have a weight that their body is happy at and from there and below it becomes very difficult to lose weight. You could also have lost fat but gained muscle mass through the exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breadboy)
    The answer imo is, rather than reduce what your eating, change your exercise. - I have changed my exercise, i did hardly any during June, and have increased it to an hour throughout July.

Just sitting on a cross trainer isnt brilliantly effective exercise tbh - You stand on a cross trainer...and I get out of breath and sweaty..I think most people would agree it is effective exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma8702)
    - You stand on a cross trainer...
    By 'sitting' I meant just using jumping on it and doing nothing else.

Increasing length is not altering your exercise, your not using different muscles in ways their not used to it. Best example I can give is weight lifting, if you do the same program eg, squat/deadlift/bench press every session (I know you dont but just hear me out) and keep steadily plopping more weight on you see huge gains in the first month-2 months but then it slows down because your body is just used to the steady increase of weight. To get around it you do different lifts and keep changing things around.

Even with cardio (isnt actually the best way to get 'thin' if your of around average size) you need to do this.

ReputationRep:
    By 'sitting' I meant just using jumping on it and doing nothing else.
    Jumping on it??? I do actually change up the speed and intensity aswell as the time I do it.

ReputationRep:
    Jumping on it??? I do actually change up the speed and intensity aswell as the time I do it.
    But your still doing the same motion with the same muscles, regardless of intensity your just doing the same thing. Thats my point, its not very effective exercise.

ReputationRep:
    If your body is used to you eating a lot more than 1000 calories, then it could be in "starvation" mode, hanging on to fats from all of the food you eat, because it thinks that you're being starved. If you rapidly cut down then this can happen. I've cut down my calorie intake to around 1400 and don't snack at all, and I've lost about 7-8 lb's in 4ish weeks. I've just kept up my normal exercise (running 3 times a week) too. Maybe you could try a few different exercises? e.g. mixing cardio vascular with swimming/yoga etc.

ReputationRep:
    1000 calories per day will put your body into starvation mode, so your body will cling onto the fat. Based on the figures you put in the OP, your maintenance is 2168 calories per day, so try taking a couple hundred calories from that and see how that works for you.

Edit: beaten to it by Oh_adele

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    If your body is used to you eating a lot more than 1000 calories, then it could be in "starvation" mode. - I've been eating like this for years, with a few weeks off every now and then. Maybe you could try a few different exercises? e.g. mixing cardio vascular with swimming/yoga etc.
    - I think I will, but I'm just frustrated that what I'm doing, wich mathematically should make me lose weight, isn't making a difference. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Eat more, roughly 500cals, your probably in starvation mode.

ReputationRep:
    - I think I will, but I'm just frustrated that what I'm doing, wich mathematically should make me lose weight, isn't making a difference. Thanks.

Not really. Mathematically your body has probably killed its BMR down and reduced your lean tissue through cardio and years of starvation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick.J)
    1000 calories per day will put your body into starvation mode, so your body will cling onto the fat. Based on the figures you put in the OP, your maintenance is 2168 calories per day, so try taking a couple hundred calories from that and see how that works for you.
    Maintenance as in what I can eat to stay the same weight? My bmr is like 1200...

ReputationRep:
    I'm terrified eating more will make me gain weight though! Calculating my bmr, it says its between 1100 and 1400, so if i eat more, surely I'll gain weight?

ReputationRep:
    I'm terrified eating more will make me gain weight though! Calculating my bmr, it says its between 1100 and 1400, so if i eat more, surely I'll gain weight?
    You might gain weight, but if you've been starving for a while its most likely to be some muscle mass which is good.

Worry less about weight and more about measurements/appearance. Weight is a poor indicator at best

EDIT: Also, BMR is not how much energy you use in a day. Its how much you would use if you where in a coma all day

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance as in what I can eat to stay the same weight? My bmr is like 1200...
    Yep, though that figure is taking into account the exercise you do every day, it's probably not 100% accurate, but I'd imagine it will be around that sort of figure.

ReputationRep:
    You might gain weight, but if you've been starving for a while its most likely to be some muscle mass which is good.

Worry less about weight and more about measurements/appearance. Weight is a poor indicator at best
    I know - I'm not really bothered about weight if my measurements change, but they haven't! Thanks btw for answering all this!

ReputationRep:
    I know - I'm not really bothered about weight if my measurements change, but they haven't! Thanks btw for answering all this!
    Do you have access to a gym?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick.J)

Edit: beaten to it by Oh_adele
    That sounds terribly inaccurate.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have the money for a gym right now tbh, but I'll be joining the one at uni in sept.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.