Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DVDA)
    oh that was my original one, i edited it lol

and being a vegeterian without other sources of good vitamins can be quite unhealthy; maybe its a dietary thing? - No, I've been vegetarian for 5 years and never had any problems. I make sure i get enough iron and protein from vegetables and beans/seeds and such.

but as i rather tactlessly put it, your fine. seriously

after living in a house of 4 women who constantly ***** on about EVERY calorie intake they have while being perfectly fine, its made me kinda skeptical about this whole weight loss thing

and besides, what was your target weight you're aiming for anyway?
    I want to be between 7.5 and 8 (although right now I'd be happy with between 8 and 9 considering how nothing has been working!). And before you say it's too low, at 5'3 its still healthy. I've been 8 before and was hardly too thin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma8702)

I want to be between 7.5 and 8 (although right now I'd be happy with between 8 and 9 considering how nothing has been working!). And before you say it's too low, at 5'3 its still healthy. I've been 8 before and was hardly too thin.

Iv said it once and Ill say it again. Weight is a poor indicator. The girl Im obsessed with has an insane body, shes 5ft 9 and weighs about 9 st 7, if not a bit more. Reason shes so nice is 'cause its all muscle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breadboy)
    Iv said it once and Ill say it again. Weight is a poor indicator. The girl Im obsessed with has an insane body, shes 5ft 9 and weighs about 9 st 7, if not a bit more. Reason shes so nice is 'cause its all muscle.
    Well fine then, I'd like my measurements to be 25 (waist) -34 (hips) -32(bust). Right now it's 28-37-34.

That also means the girl you're 'obsessed with' has a bmi of 20, I want mine to be 19.5 - and personally I don't find muscle attractive.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh whether you agree with her weight loss or not its not about what you think looks best it's about her own personal image. If she wants to get to that weight/size then its her own choice. And for her measurements that is by no means unhealthy.
    I think you ought to take into account the changing exercise - even if you just change to running around the block 2 days instead of your hour on the cross trainer.
    Food wise I don't see how cutting your calories cant make you lose weight - Special K Diet clearly works and that is all about cutting down on your calories. People have always told me that cutting down on beige food works a wonder - thus potatoes, pasta, rice. Things that are of that colour.
    I dont think I can really provide you with much help - I have around the body size you are aiming for but am a smidge taller. But I can't think of anything more I would recommend or that I do differently
    Sorry I can't be or more help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophyy)
    Tbh whether you agree with her weight loss or not its not about what you think looks best it's about her own personal image. If she wants to get to that weight/size then its her own choice. And for her measurements that is by no means unhealthy.
    - thank you!
    Food wise I don't see how cutting your calories cant make you lose weight - Special K Diet clearly works and that is all about cutting down on your calories. I've done this years ago and it didn't work, you have to be medically overweight.I I have around the body size you are aiming for but am a smidge taller.-I hate you! lol But I can't think of anything more I would recommend or that I do differently
    Sorry I can't be or more help.
    - But thanks anway!

ReputationRep:
    4 weeks is not a sufficient amount of time to start saying 'it's not working'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    4 weeks is not a sufficient amount of time to start saying 'it's not working'.
    Thanks, thats what I was asking lol. I'm not going to give up. But isn't it a little odd that there has been no difference? How long can it take?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, thats what I was asking lol. I'm not going to give up. But isn't it a little odd that there has been no difference? How long can it take?
    When I first started my weightloss, I lost 0.5lb in the first week and stayed the same for about 3-4 weeks in a row. It took me a good 5 weeks to start noticing a change. I put this down to building muscle (I exercised from the start, previously living a sedentary lifestyle).

I'd give it a few months and see how it goes. I used a cross trainer too, and it worked for me but do make sure you don't overdo it. I started off on 20 minutes 3-5 times a week and then as I got more stamina, I did an hour 3 times a week and walked the dog in between. You need rest days, and you should also think about using some free weights. A healthy amount of muscle can help the body to burn at a faster rate. It's a minimal amount, but it all adds up - you don't want to be 'skinny fat' so do think about some resistance training alongside the cross training.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I also worked up my stamina - started on 15 minutes and increased it by a couple of minutes each day, then left it at that time for a couple of days before increasing it again. I've only been doing an hour in the last couple of days. I had a day off on Friday, but usually find if I don't do it every day, I get less motivated to do it the next day!

ReputationRep:
    My daily intake is about 1000-1200
    Not enough. Try 1700.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I also worked up my stamina - started on 15 minutes and increased it by a couple of minutes each day, then left it at that time for a couple of days before increasing it again. I've only been doing an hour in the last couple of days. I had a day off on Friday, but usually find if I don't do it every day, I get less motivated to do it the next day!
    Motivation is something you've just got to have whether you exercise every day or not, sadly.
    I personally think you'll soon get bored of cross training every day. You will lose motivation the more you force yourself to do it.

ReputationRep:
    you need to eat 500 calories less than what you ate before dieting. are you eating less calories than before??
    though it doesnt sound like your eating much so its quite strange. apart from that exercise you do, you might not be burning much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    you need to eat 500 calories less than what you ate before dieting. are you eating less calories than before??
    though it doesnt sound like your eating much so its quite strange. apart from that exercise you do, you might not be burning much
    If she's over exercising, and under eating then the body won't burn calories, it'll store fat rather than burn it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    If she's over exercising, and under eating then the body won't burn calories, it'll store fat rather than burn it.
    That's not necessarily true as I posted above, it's a myth. Your metabolism will lower slightly, which will mean that more fat is conserved, but weight will be lost by undercutting. Anorexics had to get there somehow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.