Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    delete
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Maybe cut down your original idea into something that is a small chunk of what you wanna do? Then you can gradually do the rest of it as part of a Masters dissertation, if you're thinking of postgrad study? I know my dissertation supervisor changed what I was writing about so that my undergrad dissertation can lead to a Masters one (if I wanna do a Masters, which I do!) and the Masters one can lead to a PhD one (if I wanna do a PhD)

ReputationRep:
    Try to do something that has happened in UK politics or within Britain, it would narrow down your orginal idea. Sources, legislation, government papers etc, would be much easier to find.
    A disseratation doesnt have to be completely orginal I think, just enough of a different take on a subject. Maybe look through your modules for a topic ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangeboy)
    I was supposed to email my tutor my dissertation idea in the summer term before summer recess. I did but she told me it would be impossible to do as it would be way too big.

I'm a politics student and plan to do my dissertation on the Middle East, I wanted to write about the biggest power states in the Middle east, assess which state could be considered the most powerful in terms of ecoomic, social and military capabilities.

I know this is too big for a undergraduate dissertation. Now I haven't a clue what to do... I've had a look at womens right's in Iran but can't possible think of any question that would interest me enough to spend a whole year writing and researching ym dissertation on. Plus, I can;t think of anything that is origional.

How do you find something that completely imspires you? I know I need to do some reading to think of a question but going the library and reading books on Iranian women at this moment of time will bore me so god elp me if I did it for 12 months.
    Like Lonely G said (HI btw LG) cut it down? Just write about one big power state in the Middle East? Maybe what aspect of it (economic, social, military) is most important to keeping it in power? Would this be possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Maybe cut down your original idea into something that is a small chunk of what you wanna do? Then you can gradually do the rest of it as part of a Masters dissertation, if you're thinking of postgrad study? I know my dissertation supervisor changed what I was writing about so that my undergrad dissertation can lead to a Masters one (if I wanna do a Masters, which I do!) and the Masters one can lead to a PhD one (if I wanna do a PhD)
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)

Just to add to this from my own experience, you better choose a topic that you are most interested in, and have a proper argument over it. Otherwise it will be difficult to motivate yourself to write over it and you'll likely not do too well. You're proposed topic was just way too wide to have a proper discussion on it. Perhaps choose a country in ME most interesting to you and argue why is it more powerful in military/economic/etc sense than other countries in the region.

Another important this is to choose a topic you already know something about, so you know you like it and can start looking for information somewhere to prove or disprove your arguments. Personally I chose my dissertation topic based on the big question I was most interested during my studies, had been doing courses around the subject and already had my pre-determined arguments over. Still had to work loads to finish it, but if it had been something I wasn't that interested about, it would have been hellish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crema)
    Personally I chose my dissertation topic based on the big question I was most interested during my studies, had been doing courses around the subject and already had my pre-determined arguments over.

Ok I'll stop using this smiley now.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Like Lonely G said (HI btw LG)
    :hello:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.