Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the UK join the Euro? [please do the poll] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    Its for your EPQ, right?

(I read an article on Wikipedia about the referendum that Brown had, it was a resounding no, I think this might be the same). :yep:
    Yep. Trying to get some primary research done on here :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not.

ReputationRep:
    Only if it becomes considerably stronger than the pound, and shows no sign of getting weaker.

Don't really care from a patriotic point of view - we have flags for that.

ReputationRep:
    Historically - do whatever the hell you want, because the old ******** argument that "The pound is a part of Britain's heritage" isn't worth jack all. We got rid of the guinea, the shilling; we've dropped the gold standard; there's bugger all heritage in what we have now, so, that's not a valid argument.

Economically, at this point in time, no. A few months ago, when the Euro was creeping up on the pound, it made sense to jump on the bandwagon and say it was all good for us, and we'd be better off in the 'Eurozone'. But, considering the Eurozone is in as much, if not more, **** than we're already up-to-our-knees in...it's a silly idea. Sure, it's an exchange rate (according to xe.com) of 1.15Euros to £1, but, we're not going to benefit - it's a loss of 14p (xe.com's rate of 1euro = 86p) - and it puts us in a weaker position against the dollar.

So, no. Economically.

ReputationRep:
    Nostalgia/aesthetics says no.

Economics says an even bigger no.

We'd have been in an even worse mess recently if we hadn't been able to control our own interest rates and let our currency take some of the hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Only if it becomes considerably stronger than the pound, and shows no sign of getting weaker.

Don't really care from a patriotic point of view - we have flags for that.
    ^Exactly this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Historically - do whatever the hell you want, because the old ******** argument that "The pound is a part of Britain's heritage" isn't worth jack all. We got rid of the guinea, the shilling; we've dropped the gold standard; there's bugger all heritage in what we have now, so, that's not a valid argument.

Economically, at this point in time, no. A few months ago, when the Euro was creeping up on the pound, it made sense to jump on the bandwagon and say it was all good for us, and we'd be better off in the 'Eurozone'. But, considering the Eurozone is in as much, if not more, **** than we're already up-to-our-knees in...it's a silly idea. Sure, it's an exchange rate (according to xe.com) of 1.15Euros to £1, but, we're not going to benefit - it's a loss of 14p (xe.com's rate of 1euro = 86p) - and it puts us in a weaker position against the dollar.

So, no. Economically.
    Good post Alex.

ReputationRep:
    No :facepalm2:.. Why cant we just trade freely with other European nations without having to make it hard for ourselves by weaving a colossal web of beuracracy - and creating a whole new currency :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against it for any cultural reason. So basically my opinion comes down to whether it's better for our economy or not. I have no idea about the economy but most people are saying it would be bad so I guess my answer is no. Although it's hard to say how much this opinion is biased. By that I mean an economist who is quite patriotic will look for reasons why we shouldn't join the euro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)

So, no. Economically.
    ^This. A few months ago when the Euro was as strong (even at one point stronger) as the pound it would have made sense, but not now.

However, I think because Britain isn't reverting to the Euro, they will start lagging behind in say, 50 years? Europe as a unity, and the idea of it are good, as they will reap the benefits of easier trading etc, leaving Britain largely behind once they get their act together.

I think economic stability in this country is the priority, then they should start looking at the EU seriously and get over the whole "But we are British" argument. It's a ****** one, who really thinks that has any legitimate persuasive power?

I would say now: No
    in the future: Yes

So I'm not sure which I should vote for on the poll?

ReputationRep:
    we are great britain, the day we take the euro will be sad indeed

ReputationRep:
    I'd join the US dollar before even contemplating joining the Euro.

££££££££££££££££ ££££££££££££££££ ££££££££££££££££ £ :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    No the UK does not have the same monetary requirements as most of Europe therefore joining the Euro would damage UK industry and the British economy.
    British economy is already damaged...:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnahh)
    British economy is already damaged...:woo:
    Yes but it will recover quicker with the Bank of England having full jurisdiction over interest rates, rather than the ECB.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this everyone. Keep it coming :p:

ReputationRep:
    EURO FTW - we are never going to be able to dominate anything ever again after this recessions over (Empire: GONE, Manufacturing: GONE, Financial: GONE) and we should join in with the rest of our European brethren.

also on another point reform to the current set of legislative and executive processes of Euorpe would be a welcome change i.e. more and better democracy: more powers to the European Parliament and a directly elected President.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care/mind. I'd like to as it'd be easier going abroad, however... EUROS ARE MONOPOLY MONEY! Seriously, just look at them. The coins feel like the toy coins you used to have with your shop till toy when you were a kid, and the notes look like they're from monopoly. I HATE the euro currency. The coins are THE WORST i've ever seen. You seriously cannot tell the difference between each coin. They're ALL the same shape, roughly the same size, and the same colour. Even the copper ones you know will be a small amount, you still can't tell what they are without getting out a magnifying glass, because the colour they've used has made it so hard to even see what number is on the coin.

If we could have our own designs for Euros, then yes by all means (as in proper money shapes, like what we have at the mo). Otherwise, no thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    No, I don't think that Britain should join the Euro. I firmly believe that interest rates should be set on a country by country basis, also think that a country's currency represents a large part of it's sovereignty - I have no desire to see any more a Britain's sovereignty taken over by Brussels. Too many of our laws are dictated by people far removed from this country!
    :ditto: this. And pounds/pennies are prettier than euros/cents.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not.

ReputationRep:
    I say yes, I'm in England for a week and I'm still not used to pounds, I seem like a damn retard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.