Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right this is a question about some radio noise that I picked up from my speakers last night.

My speakers were plugged into my tv with the volume off, this tv was plugged into a Freeview box which had an aerial cable plugged into that connects to the aerial in the loft.

Just after I plugged in the speakers I heard some sounds coming from them even though the volume was set to 0 and the tv was turned off. I put the speakers to my ears and I heard radio stations that seemed to be fading in and out (increasing and decreasing in volume) and there must of been more than 5 (maybe loads more) and some were speaking in french and russian and no one radio station was clearly audible for more than about 3 seconds, even whilst you could hear one you could hear another in the background, this would then fade out and another would fade in.

When I removed the aerial cable the radio reception would stop so I think the aerial in the loft must of been picking up the radio stations, a strange thing is that I tried the same setup this morning and I couldn't pick up any radio stations, also I swear I could hear really old and odd music that was pretty spooky at the time (like out of a movie), sung in french so is it possible to pick up old radio signals or do they fade away?

Also how could I have picked up this signals in the first place?
    Could the weather have been the cause? (it was slightly stormy last night, low pressure)
    Why did I pick up loads of different radio stations?
    Why did they keep fading in and out?

ReputationRep:
    It's a conspiracy.

ReputationRep:
    You have received extra terrestrial information from the either the daleks, cybermen or some other unidentified alien species.

Call 999 and ask for 'The Doctor'.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I believe it is most likely the shapeshifting lizards from the future telling me about their invasion...

Wrong forum to post on it looks like, I actually got informative replies on another, turns out that:

- The aerial in the loft must of been acting as a receiver, and I my speakers converting any signals received into sound. Someone also said that it might be possible to pick up sound from television stations aswell.
    - Radio waves propagate further at night and in stormy conditions explaining the french and russian radio stations.
    - Several stations may exist on the same bandwidth of frequencies picked up causing them to fade in and out, this could also be due to changing conditions.
    - Radio waves cannot last years so that rules out picking up old radio messages... obviously.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.