Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

braun silk epil xelle epilators on sale at boots! Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...roductId=21826

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...roductId=21830

im considering whether to buy one. £30 isnt expensive if it's true that they really are that effective at removing hair and the results really do last for weeks. but im scared that it'll be really painful. i normally shave my legs but i have waxed before and only found it a bit painful - is epilating much worse than waxing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats_my_poison)
    http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...roductId=21826

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...roductId=21830

im considering whether to buy one. £30 isnt expensive if it's true that they really are that effective at removing hair and the results really do last for weeks. but im scared that it'll be really painful. i normally shave my legs but i have waxed before and only found it a bit painful - is epilating much worse than waxing?
    I've not waxed, so I can't compare, but epilating is bloody painful. Especially on bony areas such as your ankle. I've never sworn so much in my entire life, and that's saying something!
    The other thing is that I don't think they're all that effective. I always end up having to shave my legs afterwards because they don't get all the hairs out, so I'm still stubbly! I'd just splash out on a proper wax every so often, personally.

ReputationRep:
    iv been reading some reviews and a few people have mentioned that rather than actually plucking the hairs out, epilating often just breaks the hair so it's never completely smooth..

ReputationRep:
    I found my new epilator (this make your looking at) to be brilliant- it takes a few goes to make it really smooth at first.

The first time i used it the pain was horrible, the wipes you are meant to use before epilating did help the pain a little. But keep with it because where i had epilated before, i found it was hardly painful at all the 2nd time!

Also remember to exfoliate daily to stop ingrown hairs.

ReputationRep:
    Often the hairs will snap if you use the faster speed setting, so best always to use the slower one to prevent that, also make sure you don't move the epilator along too quickly otherwise it won't get as many hairs as it should.

I bought the Braun wet and dry epilator in the sale, it was still expensive even with £30 odd off, but it's the best epilator i've ever used by far, and much less painful than the last one I had. I really reccomend Braun epilators.

ReputationRep:
    Epilating doesn't work very well. I have two Brauns and they just tend to break the hairs off, snapping them, instead of plucking them out, and have absolutely ruined my legs with ingrown hairs and marks, despite exfoliating and moisturising. Don't start epilating, I'd advise - go for waxing from the start.

ReputationRep:
    so i decided to take the plunge and buy it. i tried it out earlier and it barely hurts at all! i only did my legs but it just felt like tiny little pricks. phewwwwww

ReputationRep:
    You need to make sure that the hairs aren't too long when you epilate to minimize breakage. I epilate weekly, and my legs are always reasonably smooth and I've been doing it for just over a year now. The first time is really painful, but it gets better.

ReputationRep:
    epilating is worse than waxing, but its a good buy also make sure your hairs dont grow too long otherwise its painful.

ReputationRep:
    do any you find epilators to be really loud?
    it sounds like a lawnmower and is effectively that.

epilating is worth it though and you get used to the pain.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.