Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a German student, have completed my Abitur this year with 1,0 and plan to apply for Economics and Government or Economics and Philosophy. My main problem is that I do not know how LSE handles the applications of foreign applicants concerning the maths grades in school. I did not have "Leistungskurs" (A-level) Mathematics in school and my grades were 12 of 15, 13 of 15, 13 of 15, 15 of 15 (4 semesters) and 15 of 15 (in the final examination). As you see, all these grades are equivalent to an A in the IB - yet they are not A-level mathematics.

How do you think my chances as an German applicant applying for Economics and Government/Philosophy. On the website of LSE it says that A-level in Mathematics is either recommented or desirable. Concidering that Economics courses are very competitive at LSE I just hope that I'll have a chance at all. Otherwise, it would not make a lot of sense applying for these courses at all. In that case, I'd much rather prefer to apply for something "softer" like Gov. & History or Gov. & Phil., though I plan to apply for PPE at Oxford as well - which might bear problems when writing the personal statement...

So if anyone can help - German students studying at LSE or others who are familiar with the application process and what LSE expects - I would very much appreciate it!! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the tecnicalities of a german application, but this german guy I know got into govt &econ with 1.1 abitur.
    He didn't take any a-levels. The govt & maths course is also not so pinned on maths, because if you haven't take maths before before they have introductory quantitative module, to make sure you don't get lost in ec102. Plus you are international, and there are loads of germans at LSE, so you stand a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountainDew)
    I am a German student, have completed my Abitur this year with 1,0 and plan to apply for Economics and Government or Economics and Philosophy. My main problem is that I do not know how LSE handles the applications of foreign applicants concerning the maths grades in school. I did not have "Leistungskurs" (A-level) Mathematics in school and my grades were 12 of 15, 13 of 15, 13 of 15, 15 of 15 (4 semesters) and 15 of 15 (in the final examination). As you see, all these grades are equivalent to an A in the IB - yet they are not A-level mathematics.

How do you think my chances as an German applicant applying for Economics and Government/Philosophy. On the website of LSE it says that A-level in Mathematics is either recommented or desirable. Concidering that Economics courses are very competitive at LSE I just hope that I'll have a chance at all. Otherwise, it would not make a lot of sense applying for these courses at all. In that case, I'd much rather prefer to apply for something "softer" like Gov. & History or Gov. & Phil., though I plan to apply for PPE at Oxford as well - which might bear problems when writing the personal statement...

So if anyone can help - German students studying at LSE or others who are familiar with the application process and what LSE expects - I would very much appreciate it!! :cool:

1,0 nice. ull be fine pm if u wanna chat (im german at lse, although did IB).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 3, 2009
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.