Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

whitch has more skill Watch

• View Poll Results: whitch of these takes the most skill to master?
    COD 5
    14.08%
    Fifa 09
    23.94%
    Halo 2
    12.68%
    Killzone 2
    8.45%
    other
    40.85%

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends if you mean the hardest game to pick up or the hardest game to be the best at. I found DotA harder to pick up than 1.6, CSS or COD2, no question.

ReputationRep:
    Counter Strike 1.6.

ReputationRep:
    I came in here to post 'spelling' but it seems I was already beaten. Thread topic related however, it's impossible really to specifiy which game requires more skill, in particular online competitive and deathmatch games simply because saying that there are more and better players doesn't mean the game itself requires more skill, simply that playing against these specific players does. The same thing applies to Fifa and its ilk, skill level required in multi-player is entirely variable depending on who you are playing.

It would be much more accurate to compare the various games in single player because of the samewhat non-variable (although that can be disputed) aspects to these experiences. For example, we could take the highest difficulty level of all these games and choose which requires more skill from that. If we would branch out, however, then I would say that those crazy bullet hell shoot-em-ups would definitely be in the running.

ReputationRep:
    FPS
    FPS
    FPS
    Sports sim <- Are you having a laugh?

ReputationRep:
    Id' say Starcraft, CS and Street Fighter are the three big highly competitive games.

Guild Wars is also pretty competitive and requires quite a lot of skill. I couldn't compare it to FPS though, they're two different genres.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe some people actually voted for Halo / Killzone / CoD5.

The games have autoaim ffs.

Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike are all incredibly skill intensive.

Fifa is a very valid game to play actually. There's quite a lot of strategy involved from what my friend tells me and it's quite popular and video game tournaments.

Street Fighter IV and Blazblue are the big fighting games at the moment.

Obviously starcraft gets a mention for RTS.

But lols at Halo, Killzone and CoD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanx)
    I can't believe some people actually voted for Halo / Killzone / CoD5.

The games have autoaim ffs.

Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike are all incredibly skill intensive.

Fifa is a very valid game to play actually. There's quite a lot of strategy involved from what my friend tells me and it's quite popular and video game tournaments.

Street Fighter IV and Blazblue are the big fighting games at the moment.

Obviously starcraft gets a mention for RTS.

But lols at Halo, Killzone and CoD.

I agree that there is alot of skills on UT and Quake but there's less tactics than on CSS, the first 2 are more DM.

FIFA is also the most popular football game in the tournaments and the skill at which pros play at...got beaten 4-1 by an awful team while i was Spain.

The fighting games I would have chosen Dead or Alive to have more skill than them 2. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gueirguiy)
    I agree that there is alot of skills on UT and Quake but there's less tactics than on CSS, the first 2 are more DM.
    See, I disagree with this. CS is very team orientated which means that there's a lot of relying on other players to succeed. In DM games, you have only yourself to rely on when playing. This means you need to keep track of item respawns and health whereas in CSS, it's usually just waiting for a team mate to go "he's gone short".

The fighting games I would have chosen Dead or Alive to have more skill than them 2.
    Dead or Alive is unbalanced as ****.

ReputationRep:
    Very much so, a beginner player can easily beat someone who's been playing it for a while. Soul Calibur is much the same, it's pretty easy to just hammer the buttons and perform powerful combos. Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter are two fighting games I find that are much more tailored to allowing those who have been playing longer a much higher chance of winning a match.

ReputationRep:
    call of duty 4, european tournement, prize money 100000euros to best team out of 12 invited. all ihave to say

ReputationRep:
    at least fighting games got a mention i

i think that they're much harder than shooters there is a lot to learn, hardest fighters id say super street fighter 2 turbo (played at a high competitive level), virtua fighter and street fighter 4 can get kinda complicated too

just wish fighters had more of a scene and more events around the UK

ReputationRep:
    See, I disagree with this. CS is very team orientated which means that there's a lot of relying on other players to succeed. In DM games, you have only yourself to rely on when playing. This means you need to keep track of item respawns and health whereas in CSS, it's usually just waiting for a team mate to go "he's gone short".

Not really, try joining a good gaming league and see how far your tactics get you . When you try that you will see just how bad the tactics you originally had where and how much skill is required to succeed.

Very much so, a beginner player can easily beat someone who's been playing it for a while. Soul Calibur is much the same, it's pretty easy to just hammer the buttons and perform powerful combos. Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter are two fighting games I find that are much more tailored to allowing those who have been playing longer a much higher chance of winning a match.
    Have you tried playing actual pros? button bashing on it gets you nowhere even against most mediocre people.

I think most skill lies in the pc fps/tps games tbh, players are generally at a much higher standard.

I've only played rfom and cod4 online on the ps3 and rfom takes a lot more skill imo (in 'pro' custom games) as cod4 was generally a camper's paradise. Sadly, rfom is pretty dead these days (it is 3 years old after all).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Spelling. Takes a lot of work.

THIS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee90)
    well considering cod4 along with counterstrike source are generally the only games played at a high competetative level for big cash, it would have to be cod5 because its just cod4 with a new skin and crappy maps. cod4 and CS/S are difficult to master because like jackbourne said people have been playing them a long time...much much longer for counterstrike and have developed certain tactics for each map and know where people will be within seconds of the game starting and know all the little nooks and crannys to aim through to get people who think they're safe.

plus im a cod4 addict
    Unlike a stopped clock - you're wrong throughout this whole post.

Halo 3 anybody? They play for big prizes.

CS I agree that there are limited routes etc that can be taken. But people can be unpredictable

ReputationRep:
    Team Fortress 2 is great for building team-based strategy, I find. Never been a fan of Halo or COD, more of a racer than a shooter myself, I LOVE Gran Turismo.

ReputationRep:
    Fifa.. by a country mile, although, most people haven't played against the best, when you get up there it is so much harder, and I'm talking the top 4-500 people on Xbox Live, I used to be about 1100th on Fifa 09, and when it comes down to it, the people that are good literally wont let you beat them, to the point where you get no time on the ball, and when they are on the ball, you cant even get close to them.

Playing COD4, I used to play loads, like so so so much it's insane, stopped for a year, went round my sisters on Friday and played it, straight back to the top spot on search and destroy or team death.

COD 5 is so easy it's a joke.

Not played KillZone.

RTS, such as WC3 which I have and love are hard, but masterable, I have a lot of OCD when it comes to RTS games, hate having odd amounts of units or... when you mine gold on WC3 if you haven't got an orderly line of workers evenly spaced as they go too and from the mine... Damn I'm sad.

Still, great game, strategy isn't too hard, but I wouldn't say I'm up there.

Halo's I loved the story, enjoyed the online, just not a massive fan of Halo, no idea why not. Never found it impossible though.

Okay, so here's a question, what about racing games like Forza or PGR? How much skill does it take to get GOOOOOOOOOD at them? Like really really good?

ReputationRep:
    Not really, try joining a good gaming league and see how far your tactics get you . When you try that you will see just how bad the tactics you originally had where and how much skill is required to succeed.

Have you tried playing actual pros? button bashing on it gets you nowhere even against most mediocre people.
    Dude, they don't even play Dead or Alive at EvO because it's so imbalanced and they play MvsC2.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably go for racing sims for the most skill. Anybody can drive round a track, but to do it in a race, avoid being taken out, setting fast laps, catching and passing others, hitting racing lines / corner apex / braking points consistently for x laps is hard. Very hard indeed.

I look at the fastest laps on games like Forza and Grid (less sim like, I know), and I cannot touch the lap records, even though I myself am a decent racer.

When you take it to the level of realism in rFactor with the F1 mod, and you need progressive breaking, throttle and steering, the amount of control needed is immense.

ReputationRep:
    lets just be honest... tetris on level 99 is the hardest game ever...period

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.