Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

whitch has more skill watch

• View Poll Results: whitch of these takes the most skill to master?
    COD 5
    14.08%
    Fifa 09
    23.94%
    Halo 2
    12.68%
    Killzone 2
    8.45%
    other
    40.85%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'd probably go for racing sims for the most skill. Anybody can drive round a track, but to do it in a race, avoid being taken out, setting fast laps, catching and passing others, hitting racing lines / corner apex / braking points consistently for x laps is hard. Very hard indeed.

I look at the fastest laps on games like Forza and Grid (less sim like, I know), and I cannot touch the lap records, even though I myself am a decent racer.

When you take it to the level of realism in rFactor with the F1 mod, and you need progressive breaking, throttle and steering, the amount of control needed is immense.
    And the consistency required when you are on a huge race... now that is something to desire, with NFS I could race, get about a minute ahead and just bounce of walls going round corner, proper F1 racing, that's truly challenging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee90)
    lets just be honest... tetris on level 99 is the hardest game ever...period
    Tetris stops getting harder the moment holding D-Pad Down makes the bricks fall slower than the actual level speed.

ReputationRep:
    Fifa harder than any of the FPS games listed? I've played all the Halo games, Killzone 2, and Fifa 09. Fifa doesn't require much skill at all imo.

Sneaking out of your base in Killzone when the entire enemy team is camping just outside with shotguns, then clearing the way for your teammates takes skill. Getting a perfection in Halo takes skill.

ReputationRep:
    there's hand-eye coordination that all these games require, and there is strategy, tactics, teamwork etc. that they all require but in different amounts. i'd say a game like warhawk or battlefield requires the most skill because there are more elements to the game, more strategies to consider etc.

ReputationRep:
    bf2 is quite hard to be really good at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    I'll take DotA. Couldn't come close to beating the easiest AI 1v1
    took me a while to get last hitting and denying on lock. its a pretty hard game though if ur playin against the right ppl.

And AI sucks....

ReputationRep:
    just to clarify, when people are talking about fps, are they on about the single player or multiplayer, cause you cant compare skills across the two modes. as on almost all shooters an awesome single player can be anialated(sp?) at multiplayer and a great online player can be aweful at single player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnjames)
    Fifa harder than any of the FPS games listed? I've played all the Halo games, Killzone 2, and Fifa 09. Fifa doesn't require much skill at all imo.
    It depends on how good you want to be I'm guessing. It's a game that you can easily get good at for the basic level, and since it's an EA game there will be ways you can easily defeat the opposition. A good trait is to bomb it down the wing, cross it to the box and head it in. My friends do that all the time but I just place two extra defenders in the box, hope for the best when awaiting the cross, get possession and use lightning fast one-touch passing for a swift, sexy counter-attack.

Due to the popularity of football games, it might be perceived to be harder to be number one in the world online than other genres. Personally I find it difficult to compare two games of different genres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gueirguiy)
    I agree that there is alot of skills on UT and Quake but there's less tactics than on CSS, the first 2 are more DM.
    i hope that's a joke..
    not trying to be insulting but you've probably never played more than mid ED games to hold that opinion, css skill doesn't even come close to quake 3..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zdo0o)
    i hope that's a joke..
    not trying to be insulting but you've probably never played more than mid ED games to hold that opinion, css skill doesn't even come close to quake 3..

I've been playing CS 1.5 for 4 years, 1.6 for 1.5 years and CSS for 1.5 years, so collectively 7 years + although im not counting past few months in which i've quit, ED is not really a league with great skill, try EPS or ESEA.

Can you explain how Quake 3 needs more skill than 1.6/source?

ReputationRep:
    I've been playing CS 1.5 for 4 years, 1.6 for 1.5 years and CSS for 1.5 years, so collectively 7 years + although im not counting past few months in which i've quit, ED is not really a league with great skill, try EPS or ESEA.

Can you explain how Quake 3 needs more skill than 1.6/source?
    so you play eps and esea? what team?

quake 3 needs insanely more skill, i wouldn't do a great job of justifying it, but it's pretty much a given that good quake players rail better than top awpers in both 1.6 and source, not only that but every item on the map is timed to perfection. and as you can imagine, if both players know exactly when a major item is spawning, it's like a bombsite in cs except noone defines who's attacking/defending, you can make like you want to go for the item, he hangs back waits to pick you,maybe you appear to have given it up, but you then turn around and pick him. thats such a basic example but you see what i'm getting at, it's basically every situation that can happen in a cs round, for either team, can be applied to any player at any time in quake. not only that, but the movement is a lot faster, bhop is standard mode of transport so of course you need better aim and reactions. then, you need better judgement because rocklet launcher is a main weapon also, with projectiles so you need to time that too, you need to know how fast your opponent bunnyhops since not everyone runs at the same speed like in cs to be able to time him around the map. basically there's so many different things that happen, more than cs, and also a lot faster, and add that to needing better aim and much better "flickshot" ability, it is a MUCH more skilled game.

EDIT: sorry didn't read you'd quit, what eps team were you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zdo0o)
    so you play eps and esea? what team?

quake 3 needs insanely more skill, i wouldn't do a great job of justifying it, but it's pretty much a given that good quake players rail better than top awpers in both 1.6 and source, not only that but every item on the map is timed to perfection. and as you can imagine, if both players know exactly when a major item is spawning, it's like a bombsite in cs except noone defines who's attacking/defending, you can make like you want to go for the item, he hangs back waits to pick you,maybe you appear to have given it up, but you then turn around and pick him. thats such a basic example but you see what i'm getting at, it's basically every situation that can happen in a cs round, for either team, can be applied to any player at any time in quake. not only that, but the movement is a lot faster, bhop is standard mode of transport so of course you need better aim and reactions. then, you need better judgement because rocklet launcher is a main weapon also, with projectiles so you need to time that too, you need to know how fast your opponent bunnyhops since not everyone runs at the same speed like in cs to be able to time him around the map. basically there's so many different things that happen, more than cs, and also a lot faster, and add that to needing better aim and much better "flickshot" ability, it is a MUCH more skilled game.

EDIT: sorry didn't read you'd quit, what eps team were you in?

Yet what might require more skill on Quake like what you mentioned, in CS you require a hell of alot of teamwork, for example making up different strats and executing them at the correct time is hard but making new ones because the teams you play against counter stat them is even harder.

At the end of the day you're trying to compare two different games which are really really different and you can't think a quake player could out aim a cs player on cs, same goes for a cs player out aiming a quake player on quake.

It's been so long since i've played competitively but you can just check my last clanmates current clan, TLR (The Last Resort), I spent most of my time playing with him.

ReputationRep:
    Yet what might require more skill on Quake like what you mentioned, in CS you require a hell of alot of teamwork, for example making up different strats and executing them at the correct time is hard but making new ones because the teams you play against counter stat them is even harder.

At the end of the day you're trying to compare two different games which are really really different and you can't think a quake player could out aim a cs player on cs, same goes for a cs player out aiming a quake player on quake.

It's been so long since i've played competitively but you can just check my last clanmates current clan, TLR (The Last Resort), I spent most of my time playing with him.
    executing strats on cs is so ridiculously easy compared to timing spawns on quake...and as for switching games, fatality (yes im aware he's really good at games anyway, but this is still valid) played cs 1.6 for about 4 or 5 months in 2002 before playing against the team with n0thing in it (n0thing currently plays for complexity in 1.6, one of the best 1.6 teams in north armerica and the world) and the demo is on gotfrag. he just ran around with an ak single shotting EVERYONE, and got to something like 24-0 before dying first half. that was against full time top 1.6 players while he was playing quake 3 full time.

also which tlr lineup? and sorry but mixing with top players doesn't make you amazing.. plus the finnish TLR lineup with delonge, samitsky etc was sick, the new team they've picked up (ex-anoxia) aren't as good imo, they qualified for EPS (coming 2nd in EAS i think, not sure might have been playoffs) but apart from beating reason in esea haven't anything to show for themselves at all..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zdo0o)
    executing strats on cs is so ridiculously easy compared to timing spawns on quake...and as for switching games, fatality (yes im aware he's really good at games anyway, but this is still valid) played cs 1.6 for about 4 or 5 months in 2002 before playing against the team with n0thing in it (n0thing currently plays for complexity in 1.6, one of the best 1.6 teams in north armerica and the world) and the demo is on gotfrag. he just ran around with an ak single shotting EVERYONE, and got to something like 24-0 before dying first half. that was against full time top 1.6 players while he was playing quake 3 full time.

also which tlr lineup? and sorry but mixing with top players doesn't make you amazing.. plus the finnish TLR lineup with delonge, samitsky etc was sick, the new team they've picked up (ex-anoxia) aren't as good imo, they qualified for EPS (coming 2nd in EAS i think, not sure might have been playoffs) but apart from beating reason in esea haven't anything to show for themselves at all..
    By the way I've been asking that clanmate to answer alot of what you said because he is currently active and im not so he would know better.

Anyway just to get things straight Evil geniuses = 3 players from the old complexity, and they are awful I don’t know much about there new 5th lurppis, but n0thing is good. If this game with fatality and n0thing ever existed n0thing would have been 11 years old… also 2002 was a long time ago and teams have got a lot better since then as cs hadn’t been out for very long.

Also, complexity sucks now and it's the europeans which own in both 1.6 and source. In fact Source in america is pretty much dead.

EDIT: Watching demo now, he dies on 15-1 and gets like 10 eco kills and both teams aren't even good, they have 3 minute rounds. Finally his aim is good but it's not all about aim and his gamesense isn't great which comes with playing experience

ReputationRep:
    By the way I've been asking that clanmate to answer alot of what you said because he is currently active and im not so he would know better.

Anyway just to get things straight Evil geniuses = 3 players from the old complexity, and they are awful I don’t know much about there new 5th lurppis, but n0thing is good. If this game with fatality and n0thing ever existed n0thing would have been 11 years old… also 2002 was a long time ago and teams have got a lot better since then as cs hadn’t been out for very long.

Also, complexity sucks now and it's the europeans which own in both 1.6 and source. In fact Source in america is pretty much dead.
    yeah my bad, they moved from complexity to EG a while back that was a mistake. EG aren't awful, frod was one of the best awpers in source when he played CGS, as col were one of the best teams around. in 1.6, EG took a map off SK about 2 months ago on lan.. but yes europeans are a lot better atm. my point was that a top quake player pretty much on his own with minimal cs experience destroyed a team of top cs players, i'm not talking about how good EG are right now, that's a totally separate issue.. my point is how a quake player can transfer to cs and have insane aim immediately, one of many arguments towards quake players being more skilled

EDIT: ironically, i just opened gotfrag to find you the fatality demo, and the front page announces that EG have won the ESEA playoffs. they must suck.

EDIT2: here's the demo, it's actually from 2004, i was wrong about the date being 2002, sorry about that.

http://www.gotfrag.com/cs/demos/6447/

from description: "Players to watch: Definitely the first half watch fatal1ty.com . His aim is amazing, he gets nearly 30 kills, almost all headshots."

ReputationRep:
    Hardcore esports discussions O_O.

ReputationRep:

EDIT: Watching demo now, he dies on 15-1 and gets like 10 eco kills and both teams aren't even good, they have 3 minute rounds. Finally his aim is good but it's not all about aim and his gamesense isn't great which comes with playing experience
    its been like 3 years since i saw it, but i know he had a sick score.

thats my entire point, his gamesense is ****, but because he plays quake he can already drop bombs against top teams with no experience in cs

ReputationRep:
    any of you ever played cod 2 or cod 4 competetively and heard of solz (2) or obzon (4) he was first pick sniper for..i cant rememeber all his teams, but in cod 2 he was ranked 2nd best player in his pro league and 8th in cod 4

frag movie for solz is on youtube made by his sponsers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zdo0o)
    yeah my bad, they moved from complexity to EG a while back that was a mistake. EG aren't awful, frod was one of the best awpers in source when he played CGS, as col were one of the best teams around. in 1.6, EG took a map off SK about 2 months ago on lan.. but yes europeans are a lot better atm. my point was that a top quake player pretty much on his own with minimal cs experience destroyed a team of top cs players, i'm not talking about how good EG are right now, that's a totally separate issue.. my point is how a quake player can transfer to cs and have insane aim immediately, one of many arguments towards quake players being more skilled

EDIT: ironically, i just opened gotfrag to find you the fatality demo, and the front page announces that EG have won the ESEA playoffs. they must suck.

EDIT2: here's the demo, it's actually from 2004, i was wrong about the date being 2002, sorry about that.

http://www.gotfrag.com/cs/demos/6447/

from description: "Players to watch: Definitely the first half watch fatal1ty.com . His aim is amazing, he gets nearly 30 kills, almost all headshots."
    A quake player wouldn't be able to do that against any of the euro teams... 1.6/css in NA is awful nothing much else to say.

Quake players won't be able to do anything to the best 1.6/source teams now and none of them will try. The games are different that is all.

ReputationRep:
    A quake player wouldn't be able to do that against any of the euro teams... 1.6/css in NA is awful nothing much else to say.

Quake players won't be able to do anything to the best 1.6/source teams now and none of them will try. The games are different that is all.
    can you not see my point though...this is what a top quake player could do to top 1.6 players at the time in NA, i never said they could get the top 5 finishers at quakecon, make a 1.6 team and go beat SK 16-0, i'm saying it's easier for a quake player to pick up cs and become good at it (as you can see from that demo) whereas the very very best cs players would get nowhere with quake for a long long time. e.g., Re1ease is one of the best css players in the uk at the moment, plays for england in ENC, plays for dignitas. the one time i heard of him playing quake some friend of his he got smashed about 50-0, and thats against some "normal" quake player, not a pro by any means. yet quake players can switch to team fps and become very good. it's the same with cod4, css players can change to cod4 and dominate, but very very few cod4 players can switch to css and maintain a good standard; this is because cod4 is easier, so getting good at it allows more mistakes, nd when you change to a harder game, you are knocked back. quake is a harder game; when you try it, you can't hit shots, the movement is so difficult etc, but quake players switch to cs games relatively easily and without too much adjustment time because the game is easier, the title of this topic. that's not to say one is more competative, because both sides have it "easier", so in a match it just plays normally. only when players switch can you see which game was actually harder, and the fatality demo is good evidence for me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.