Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

whitch has more skill Watch

• View Poll Results: whitch of these takes the most skill to master?
    COD 5
    14.08%
    Fifa 09
    23.94%
    Halo 2
    12.68%
    Killzone 2
    8.45%
    other
    40.85%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zdo0o)
    can you not see my point though...this is what a top quake player could do to top 1.6 players at the time in NA, i never said they could get the top 5 finishers at quakecon, make a 1.6 team and go beat SK 16-0, i'm saying it's easier for a quake player to pick up cs and become good at it (as you can see from that demo) whereas the very very best cs players would get nowhere with quake for a long long time. e.g., Re1ease is one of the best css players in the uk at the moment, plays for england in ENC, plays for dignitas. the one time i heard of him playing quake some friend of his he got smashed about 50-0, and thats against some "normal" quake player, not a pro by any means. yet quake players can switch to team fps and become very good. it's the same with cod4, css players can change to cod4 and dominate, but very very few cod4 players can switch to css and maintain a good standard; this is because cod4 is easier, so getting good at it allows more mistakes, nd when you change to a harder game, you are knocked back. quake is a harder game; when you try it, you can't hit shots, the movement is so difficult etc, but quake players switch to cs games relatively easily and without too much adjustment time because the game is easier, the title of this topic. that's not to say one is more competative, because both sides have it "easier", so in a match it just plays normally. only when players switch can you see which game was actually harder, and the fatality demo is good evidence for me.

I see the point your trying to put but cs has changed a lot since then and i don't think those people were any where near the standard of cs players today, maybe back then quake players could play with "good" 1.6 players but now i don't think they would stand a chance considering n0thing has played it for 5 more years and still hasn't reached his peak, also half of his T side kills were eco kills and any of his team mates could of got them he was just in the right place at the right time . So all i'm saying is the standard of play in cs has improved so much that comparing it to 5 years ago is crazy.

ReputationRep:
    CoD5? What's that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gueirguiy)
    I see the point your trying to put but cs has changed a lot since then and i don't think those people were any where near the standard of cs players today, maybe back then quake players could play with "good" 1.6 players but now i don't think they would stand a chance considering n0thing has played it for 5 more years and still hasn't reached his peak, also half of his T side kills were eco kills and any of his team mates could of got them he was just in the right place at the right time . So all i'm saying is the standard of play in cs has improved so much that comparing it to 5 years ago is crazy.
    well in that case you don't see my point lol quake is a harder game, requiring more skill. 1.6 players may be very skillful now, and i should know as i've been watching games in HLTV this past week or so for the e-Starts 2009 tournament in korea, they are ofc really skilled, but sorry, quake players are more skilled than 1.6 players. they regularly hit shots that would be considered an "incredible" awp shot, and an "incredible" rail shot in quake is pretty much a once in a lifetime awp shot even for the best. there's more thinking in quake, cs is more preset, and even on-the-fly calling and creative clutches are amateur at best compared to the thinking process quake players must go through every single game. for some reaosn you were sidetracked into an "american cs is ****" argument, perhaps my fatality demo was misinterpreted, i wasnt talking at all about the quality of cs in america lol, especially since it's 5 years old. all i was saying was that when you put a quake player in a cs environment, give them a small amount of time to adjust to the movement, recoil, learn the maps etc, they find it easy. the same cannot be said the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinendal Leralonde)
    CoD5? What's that?
    Call of Duty 5 , sometimes known (and officially titled) as Call of Duty: World at War.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Call of Duty 5 , sometimes known (and officially titled) as Call of Duty: World at War.
    Ohhhhhh, you mean CoD4: Reskinned Edition. Got ya :top:

ReputationRep:
    WW2 Online. A typical spawn as infantry goes: Spawn, five minute run to city limits, "Thwip". The learning curve is rather steep but fun none the less, especially since I was a flyboy (not played for a while though).

EVE online is another one that people tend to have difficulty with, as this graph illustrates:

ReputationRep:
    In the FPS genre (with most difficult-to-master skills, in my opinion, in brackets): Counter Strike Source (reactions and accuracy), Far Cry 2 (strategy), Left 4 Dead (multitasking and teamwork), AssaultCube (reflexes) and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (strategy and teamwork).

ReputationRep:
    what happened to socom confrontation? thats skill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    what happened to socom confrontation? thats skill
    LOL

If you want skill i'd recommend trying Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, there's a small online base remaining but by god they are utter professionals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    I'll take DotA. Couldn't come close to beating the easiest AI 1v1

;_; DotA so hard :eek3:

starcraft online is also impossible to get anywhere in, and most RTS games have a very steep learning curve.

Where as most FPS games are accesible in that you can strike lucky get the odd kill in.

I can't pick from a list, as it is hard to compare cross-genre as peopel are better at different things, and have different skillsets.

That and I have never played a FIFA game in my life, beyond LOLS RUN AROUND WOOO HOW DO I KICK YOU HAHAH RED CARD RUN INTO GOAL WOOO :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Fifa 96 makes all those games look small time in terms of skill. So bloody hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    Fifa 96 makes all those games look small time in terms of skill. So bloody hard.
    96 was the one with the intentional foul button, right? Press it, you shove someone and you get an instant red card, at least I think it was on the SNES version, maybe it was 94, I don't know. God knows why they put that there. Was always more of a fan of ISS though.

Anyway, none of the mentioned games. Most FPS are extremely easy to get decent/good at, apart from some games like CS and Quake at the highest levels.

And then there are strats like Starcraft, in which you're getting nowhere unless you're Korean. The amount of micromanagement required to play to a decent level is pretty high.

ReputationRep:
    Football Manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    96 was the one with the intentional foul button, right? Press it, you shove someone and you get an instant red card, at least I think it was on the SNES version, maybe it was 94, I don't know. God knows why they put that there. Was always more of a fan of ISS though.

Anyway, none of the mentioned games. Most FPS are extremely easy to get decent/good at, apart from some games like CS and Quake at the highest levels.

And then there are strats like Starcraft, in which you're getting nowhere unless you're Korean. The amount of micromanagement required to play to a decent level is pretty high.
    I cant remember, but ISS deluxe is still one of the best games ever

ReputationRep:
    I know noth1ng about games anymore but thought I'd toss in my views anyhow..

Used to be quite sexy at (proper) CS (1.1) but then they ruined the game with the likes of 1.3/1.6 (1.5 went some way to redress the balance imo) making it more accessible to n00bs and went a step further by introducing CSS which I shan't talk about for fear of having another episode and having to go back on the medication.. :mad:

..since then I've played a bf2 fair bit (some would say too much, to which I say: HA!- Find me a WoW player who is as conservative in his gaming addiction!) and would like to propose that while it may not require the highest degree of skill, and is undoubtedly technically obsolete by now, it does require a high level of versatility for public and even clan play and scores rather highly on the gratification stakes.. :cool:

Foo.mp3 @ YouTube

ReputationRep:
    GTA with max stars takes some serious skills to stay alive .

ReputationRep:
    Not if we're talking San Andreas! :P

ReputationRep:
    Starcraft
    SF IV
    Trials HD

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.