Turn on thread page Beta

European Court of Human Rights criminalises boycott of Israel watch

• View Poll Results: Is boycott an effective non-violent protest against Israel?
    Yes
    69.70%
    No
    30.30%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    Much of the negative sentiment towards the Israeli state's policies is associated with the belief that there is a bias in favour of Israel, in regards to International law and support - especially from the United States. This perception of hypocrisy, or bias, will only be fuelled by this criminalisation of protest via boycott. If you're Pro-Israeli in this context, you'll have an almost impossible time tying to explain how it is immoral to boycott Israeli goods towards a group of people who believe the state is committing an immoral occupation/war against civilians. This will just reinforce the 'underdog' mentality and grow passion/anger.
    But surely this is all outweighed by the fact that it is now illegal to commit to a boycott in France as opposed to it being immoral before. People who wish to continue for a boycott would need to challenge this law before they could do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    We hardly trade and do buisness with Sudan and people from Darfur haven't called for a boycott where as people from Palestine have. Also, we are seeing some movement from Sudan in terms of resolving the Darfur issue, we are not from Israel.

300 milion people spread across a huge area with only 4 Arab countries bordering Israel. Of those Arab countries you have Egypt and Jordan in a peace deal with Israel. That leaves three Arab populations, Lebanese, Syrians and Palestinians. Palestinians can't have weapons, Lebanese have an army that consist of trucks and rifles and Syria has Soviet era wepaons a few decades old.
    1) Well when was the last time you heard a person from Darfur get on international news??

2) Your statements are over generalized. When Syria launched a surprised attack on Israel in 1973 they crossed the Israeli border with 1100 tanks. Are you telling me that 36 years on Syria only has some outdated machinery? ******** to that.

3) Wait a second, are you saying that Israel has made PEACE with two of its neighbors?? SHOCK HORROR! How many peace deals have the Palestinians signed? None. WHy? Because they have not wanted peace for quite some time.

4) The peace deal is moving closer because Syria is in negotiations with Israel (with the US acting as an intermediary). If Syria signs a Peace deal then that is game up for Hamas.

ReputationRep:
    Gone the days are of Freedom of Speech :'(...although i'm not sure we ever had it in the first place..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    1) Well when was the last time you heard a person from Darfur get on international news??
    You don't need to get internatinal news coverage. Just get together some groups representing Darfur and call for a boycott.

(Original post by dn013)
    2) Your statements are over generalized. When Syria launched a surprised attack on Israel in 1973 they crossed the Israeli border with 1100 tanks. Are you telling me that 36 years on Syria only has some outdated machinery? ******** to that.
    1100 tanks meant jack all didn't they though? So they can't be that much of threat. And yes 36 years ago, that's exactly my point.

(Original post by dn013)
    3) Wait a second, are you saying that Israel has made PEACE with two of its neighbors?? SHOCK HORROR! How many peace deals have the Palestinians signed? None. WHy? Because they have not wanted peace for quite some time.
    There have been over 17 different atempts for peace in the last 17 years. And what peace deal do you want Palestinians to sign? Yes we agree not to use are non-existant military against your nukes while you continue to colonise our land?

This thread was staying pretty much on topic until now, so I'm gonna withdraw from further debate about these issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    You don't need to get internatinal news coverage. Just get together some groups representing Darfur and call for a boycott.

1100 tanks meant jack all didn't they though? So they can't be that much of threat. And yes 36 years ago, that's exactly my point.

There have been over 17 different atempts for peace in the last 17 years. And what peace deal do you want Palestinians to sign? Yes we agree not to use are non-existant military against your nukes while you continue to colonise our land?

This thread was staying pretty much on topic until now, so I'm gonna withdraw from further debate about these issues.
    I will withdraw from this debate too then.

ReputationRep:
    Scotland, Ireland and South Africa know what it is like to have a powerful force repress and opress your people. Now in a position of power they show their humanity. These are great nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    Scotland, Ireland and South Africa know what it is like to have a powerful force repress and opress your people. Now in a position of power they show their humanity. These are great nations.
    South Africa was the oppressor.

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ boycotting Israeli goods.

Why aren't you boycotting Syria/Sudan/Iran/Saudi/Pakistan or any other country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by borismor)
    South Africa was the oppressor.
    I know... I didn't say every nation in my lists people had been opressed in the same way. I just said every nation in my lists people had known what it was like to be oppressed and repressed.

They understand the plight of the Palestinians. Particularly SA, as they had apartheid just like Israel does now.

Scotland is a country.

ReputationRep:
    I don't support a full boycott, but we should boycott goods produced in the West Bank and I would go further, companies who do business in the West Bank should not just be boycotted, but held up to sanctions.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't everyone just get along. If you make race an issue in the slightest, it is going to make someone angry. Religions different, we should always debate religion.

South Africas gone too far the other way. Black people went from the oppressed to the oppressor. The government enacts laws which are anti-white. It has quotas for black employment, it favours black-owned companies - in a country where black people are the overwhelming majority!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saff123)
    I don't support a full boycott, but we should boycott goods produced in the West Bank and I would go further, companies who do business in the West Bank should not just be boycotted, but held up to sanctions.

Good. Now, do you support the boycott of American goods, Russian goods, Sri-Lanken goods? Do you support the boycott of Arab oil due to Arab human rights breaches?

Somehow, I don't see the answer being 'yes'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axes)
    Good. Now, do you support the boycott of American goods, Russian goods, Sri-Lanken goods? Do you support the boycott of Arab oil due to Arab human rights breaches?

Somehow, I don't see the answer being 'yes'.
    I never suggested a boycott of anything, and everything Israeli. The West bank is occupied under international law, thus I support boycott of goods produced there.

ReputationRep:
    I never suggested a boycott of anything, and everything Israeli. The West bank is occupied under international law, thus I support boycott of goods produced there.

Far worse human rights violations are going on in half the world, far worse than in the WB itself, yet I don't see anyone suggesting a boycott there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axes)
    Far worse human rights violations are going on in half the world, far worse than in the WB itself, yet I don't see anyone suggesting a boycott there.
    We would have a lot more moral authority in dealing with those violations if we brought about a viable Palestinian state into existence once and for all. A lot of secular Israelis are I imagine also sick to the stomach of the settlers.

No matter how supposedly moderate the human rights violations in the west bank are, we are complicit in actually subsidizing illegal and immoral activity. That can't be right.

ReputationRep:
    We would have a lot more moral authority in dealing with those violations if we brought about a viable Palestinian state into existence once and for all. A lot of secular Israelis are I imagine also sick to the stomach of the settlers.

No matter how supposedly moderate the human rights violations in the west bank are, we are complicit in actually subsidizing illegal and immoral activity. That can't be right.

"We"? Unless you are american, you would be mistaken. There are dozens of occupied territories you know nothing about, because they are rarely published in the media, and the culprits ARE supported by the west, yet few (if any) support any sort of economic sanctions, even in the occupied areas themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axes)
    "We"? Unless you are american, you would be mistaken. There are dozens of occupied territories you know nothing about, because they are rarely published in the media, and the culprits ARE supported by the west, yet few (if any) support any sort of economic sanctions, even in the occupied areas themselves.
    I am American, but in Europe too the political establishment is woeful in actually pointing out the importance of human rights and international law to the Israelis, thats probably why citizenry feel they have to take direct action.

ReputationRep:
    I am American, but in Europe too the political establishment is woeful in actually pointing out the importance of human rights and international law to the Israelis, thats probably why citizenry feel they have to take direct action.

Precisely my point. Human rights have become politicized, even with you. It's more fashionable to boycott or criticise some countries, but ignore others. With all the genocides, ethnic cleansing, killings and occupation going on, Europe ignores most of it, and its citizenship even more, because it is less interesting. The only country where the European population actively pushes for sanctions is Israel. I have rarely, if ever, witnessed such calls on countries who are infinately worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axes)
    Precisely my point. Human rights have become politicized, even with you. It's more fashionable to boycott or criticise some countries, but ignore others. With all the genocides, ethnic cleansing, killings and occupation going on, Europe ignores most of it, and its citizenship even more, because it is less interesting. The only country where the European population actively pushes for sanctions is Israel. I have rarely, if ever, witnessed such calls on countries who are infinately worse.
    I agree that some causes are more fashionable than others, Tibet Vs Urgurs for example, but human rights have always been politicized. It took South Africans to enact the changes in Zimbabwe how ever shallow, it will take the Chinese to stop Darfur, and the west to deal with Israel-Palestinian. The West can't do it all.

I can't speak for Europe, but i have to say most people in my neighborhood in the US and a lot of Americans are frustrated, and honestly exasperated at our governments constant praise of Israel despite the abuses Palestinians undergo, and the real problems for America thats causing for us, with no tangible benefit.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that some causes are more fashionable than others, Tibet Vs Urgurs for example, but human rights have always been politicized.

And yet you fell into the same trap, didn't you? Your criticism is politically motivated, or you would have supported boycotts/sanctions on numerous other and worse occupied areas.

It took South Africans to enact the changes in Zimbabwe how ever shallow, it will take the Chinese to stop Darfur, and the west to deal with Israel-Palestinian. The West can't do it all.

False again. You, speaking for the west, renounce responsibility for dozens of conflicts in which the wests hand is far more direct in causing that situation. The west's civilians chose to criticise Israel because it is more fashionoble, not because they see it as a result of their own actions nesseceraly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.